Nintendo Why?

Sep 14, 2009
Weaver said:
Also if you're using a new iPhone in this diagram you can't even plug your Nintendo squid into it without another adapter lol
lmao forgot about that, this seems like an exercise in mental gymnastics to see how many adapters we can fit into a scenario.

This seems so fucking unnecessary, and should've been taken care of in the design stage, it's not like mics and chat is some new idea to consoles, jesus fucking christ nintendo.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Weaver said:
Also if you're using a new iPhone in this diagram you can't even plug your Nintendo squid into it without another adapter lol
lmao forgot about that, this seems like an exercise in mental gymnastics to see how many adapters we can fit into a scenario.

This seems so fucking unnecessary, and should've been taken care of in the design stage, it's not like mics and chat is some new idea to consoles, jesus fucking christ nintendo.
Nintendo has been a generation behind everyone else since the N64. This is nothing new for them.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I would have preferred a Bluetooth headset. I fail to see why they didn't make use of one. You can get Bluetooth to work with it supposedly but it's fiddly. I haven't personally attempted it. And honestly I play singleplayer most of the time on consoles... the only times I play multi is when I'm sitting right next to them. I can live without a microphone on the device or on a controller. Whatever cuts down weight, power draw, or simple annoyance of a portable game system people might be yelling at in public over free wi-fi. Sure headsets don't solve that problem, merely reduce the incidence rate.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh no! You have to go through a convoluted setup in order to yell obscenities at people you don't know.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
even i think this voice chat system with the app they've got is retarded. we shouldn't even NEED to use a smartphone just to have voicechat on our console in the first bloody place.

now i get to waste both my Switches battery AND my phones battery at the same time! yay!!!

Canadamus Prime said:
Oh no! You have to go through a convoluted setup in order to yell obscenities at people you don't know.
actually, you don't. Nintendo being as family friendly as they are and wanting to protect the little kiddies will STILL only let us talk to people we have on our friends list.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Canadamus Prime said:
I play overwatch and I use the mics70% of the time to communicate to my teamamtes to win a game. The other 30% is me yelling Obscenities at people I don't know for picking genji or bastion. Even though they retort hey have gold medals and don't need to change they ignore our team doesn't have enough synergy to win.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
kilenem said:
Rangaman said:
Alternatively, you could get Skype on your phone for group voice chat, and avoid this disaster altogether.

Unless you actually enjoy listening to randoms in online games.
I know I wrote about how I had to do this in my MMO days in the original post. At least that was a program running in he back round of my PC, this requires me to use my PC and my Switch.
Pretty sure the Skype phone app can do group calls (I don't have it, so I wouldn't know). And you don't need a plastic squid to make it work.

Anyway, this is still only the second most convoluted headset set-up I've seen. The first involved a cunting Turtle Beach headset and two laptops. Doesn't make this any better, though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
actually, you don't. Nintendo being as family friendly as they are and wanting to protect the little kiddies will STILL only let us talk to people we have on our friends list.
Ok, so you have to go through a convoluted setup to yell obscenities at your friends then.
Yes I get it, this is stupid and yet another one of Nintendo's latest fuck ups. However I don't give much of a shit about voice chat so I'm not going to get all that worked up about it.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
altnameJag said:
...When did a headphone splitter become convoluted?

Fuck, I'm old.
I mean it's convoluted in comparison to how playstation and xbox do it, which is just "plug headset into controller"

Yoshi178 said:
even i think this voice chat system with the app they've got is retarded. we shouldn't even NEED to use a smartphone just to have voicechat on our console in the first bloody place.
When you've lost Yoshi on an idea you know it's bad

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If that is the legit unit that they will be selling, I have to point out one thing:

THE FONT! THE FOOOOOOOONT!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
kilenem said:
tippy2k2 said:
Nintendo reminds me a lot of Apple...
[/small]
That's the thing, Nintendo is the opposite of Apple. The Switch uses a Micro SD card, its Charged by USB C and the Joy Cons pair to a computer with out a stupid dongle. Apparently the Switch isn't that closed off because 8bitdo has updated their Oldschool line of controllers to work with the Switch. If this was apple you would have to buy the stupid HD rumble joy cons(80) or the Pro Controller(70). You can get controllers that are wireless from 8bitdo for 37 bucks that have dual analog. Also you can't buy 3rd party wireless controllers for the X1 and PS4.

Nintendo nails some really great user friendly things but they just do really weird asinine design choices that the industry has stopped doing.
I was referring to Apple and Nintendo's same use of ideas (where it feels like they just use whatever idea they feel like, no matter how silly and convoluted it is because they feel like they know more than everyone else; see those awful "Wireless Headphones" that Apple decided to do and removed the jack so that you HAD to use their idea).

Sometimes their goofy ideas pay off in a big way (See The Wii) but most of the time, we end up with stuff like this...

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Ok, so you have to go through a convoluted setup to yell obscenities at your friends then.
Yes I get it, this is stupid and yet another one of Nintendo's latest fuck ups. However I don't give much of a shit about voice chat so I'm not going to get all that worked up about it.
most people do give a shit about voice chat though.

i used to play with some american buddies of mine on halo wars and other 360 games all the time during gen 7. all i had to do was plug my headset into my controller and that was it. then we were free to either just talk to randoms but if we didn't feel like wanting to hear random 12 year olds telling us they fucked our mums then we just easily had our party chat room to get away from all that.

the fact that something as simple and basic as voice chat is STILL as complicated as it is on Nintendo systems is just really unacceptable in my opinion. the rest of the online looks great with the PS+ like subscription model they have for NES and SNES games with added online multiplayer and i especially love that it will only be a third of PSN and XBL's price at only $20USD per year. the fact that still can't get voice chat right really pisses me off though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
most people do give a shit about voice chat though.

i used to play with some american buddies of mine on halo wars and other 360 games all the time during gen 7. all i had to do was plug my headset into my controller and that was it. then we were free to either just talk to randoms but if we didn't feel like wanting to hear random 12 year olds telling us they fucked our mums then we just easily had our party chat room to get away from all that.

the fact that something as simple and basic as voice chat is STILL as complicated as it is on Nintendo systems is just really unacceptable in my opinion. the rest of the online looks great with the PS+ like subscription model they have for NES and SNES games with added online multiplayer and i especially love that it will only be a third of PSN and XBL's price at only $20USD per year. the fact that still can't get voice chat right really pisses me off though.
Did I not say that it's the latest in a long line of Nintendo's fuck ups? I'm just not going to get all worked up over a feature I'd never use.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Did I not say that it's the latest in a long line of Nintendo's fuck ups? I'm just not going to get all worked up over a feature I'd never use.
fair enough. i still think Nintendo gamers and gamers in general have a right to get worked up about this though because Voice chat is one of the mosic basic online features that has been part of gaming for about 15 years across 3 generations of consoles and yet Nintendo STILL can't get it right in 2017.

it's pretty unacceptable.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
fair enough. i still think Nintendo gamers and gamers in general have a right to get worked up about this though because Voice chat is one of the mosic basic online features that has been part of gaming for about 15 years across 3 generations of consoles and yet Nintendo STILL can't get it right in 2017
There are a lot of things Nintendo should be able to get right in 2017 but refuse to. This is just one of them.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
fair enough. i still think Nintendo gamers and gamers in general have a right to get worked up about this though because Voice chat is one of the mosic basic online features that has been part of gaming for about 15 years across 3 generations of consoles and yet Nintendo STILL can't get it right in 2017
There are a lot of things Nintendo should be able to get right in 2017 but refuse to. This is just one of them.
meh. online services with Voice chat being the main feature of Nintendo Consoles is the only thing about Nintendo that really pisses me off. otherwise they're pretty alright in all the other areas for what i want.

Basically i'd be fine if Nintendo consoles were kept the same as they are, even with slow releasing games like on Wii U. all i want is a simple Nintendo console with online services to be on par or better than Xbox Live. that's it. not asking for much.

i don't even mind too much when Nintendo goes through long drought periods because during those times it helps to not have heaps of games i want coming out because it lets me save up for my future purchases AND at the same time it also let's me go back and catch up on some of the Retro games i've wanted but missed out on. just last month i bought Zelda Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance also on Gamecube and Mario Party 3 for the N64. i also currently have plans to buy myself Kirby Air Ride for the Gamecube as well because i've already paid off Arms and at this point in time it's just Splatoon 2, Xenoblade and Mario Odyssey i have to pay off and those last 2 i mentioned aren't coming out for ages.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
meh. online services with Voice chat being the main feature of Nintendo Consoles is the only thing about Nintendo that really pisses me off. otherwise they're pretty alright in all the other areas for what i want.

Basically i'd be fine if Nintendo consoles were kept the same as they are, even with slow releasing games like on Wii U. all i want is a simple Nintendo console with online services to be on par or better than Xbox Live. that's it. not asking for much.

i don't even mind too much when Nintendo goes through long drought periods because during those times it helps to not have heaps of games i want coming out because it lets me save up for my future purchases AND at the same time it also let's me go back and catch up on some of the Retro games i've wanted but missed out on. just last month i bought Zelda Four Swords Adventures for the Gamecube, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance also on Gamecube and Mario Party 3 for the N64. i also currently have plans to buy myself Kirby Air Ride for the Gamecube as well because i've already paid off Arms and at this point in time it's just Splatoon 2, Xenoblade and Mario Odyssey i have to pay off and those last 2 i mentioned aren't coming out for ages.
You mean despite the Switches design flaws that I've read about?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Canadamus Prime said:
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Yoshi178 said:
Canadamus Prime said:

You mean despite the Switches design flaws that I've read about?
such as?

i would be fine if the only thing different about Switch were if it were the same but with an online service either equal to or better than xbox live