Nintendo Will Eventually Discontinue Less Popular Amiibos - Update 4

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Keep in mind that this has yet to be confirmed, as is just speculation on the part of one Video Game Plus location. It could very well be that Nintendo greatly misread the demand for these Mii's and hasn't even made the next batch yet.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Yahtzee kind of called it. Remember the review?

"Who the fuck is Marth, and why is unlocking him considered a reward?"

He called it. Years in advance. Damn he's good.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
First the Adapter shortage and now this? Nintendo have really gone into this half-arsed. I've managed to grab a bundle box with the adapter and game (already had the game so I'll need to see the extra one to make money back) and now they're just gonna start discontinuing figures without prior warning?

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Makes sense to only do a limited run of the less popular characters, Nintendo had no idea of knowing if Amiibo was going to take off or not.

It's far better for them to have a shortage of a few characters than to have massive piles of unsellable stock because amiibos never took off.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
My store to date has recieved:

0 Marth
1 Wii Fit Trainer
1 Villager

TOTAL

Call me cynical, but this just seems like a classic "create a false shortage so future series sell more quickly" strategy.

I38VWI

Nov 9, 2009
There's a very big difference between "limited initial run" and "discontinued forever OMG!!1!"
Plus, what's the source on this? Some dude on Twitter? Yeah, great fact checking.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Uh, I'm skeptical about this one. The news is coming from a small retail chain (who may be sitting on some stock they don't what people to know about until the demand from this chaos is higher). Unless you're a Fire Emblem, Wii Fit or Animal Crossing fan, I'd say wait for Big N's stance before dropping $50+ on one of these.

Nintendo may crawl out from under their rock long enough to see enough demand for one more run of these. It doesn't really make them profit when the stores and consumers are the ones trading old figures that Ninty has long since sold, especially if it's draining the peoples' budgets to buy more amiibos.

It would be nice, though, if they weren't so squeamish about making extra stuff. This artificial shortage is probably killing the wallets of anyone who wanted to use their old GC controller for Smash and didn't feel like preordering it the adapter. I'm having a hard time finding Pikmin 3(Why is it fucking $80 on Amazon?), while most stores probably still stock 2 or more copies of Call of Duty Ghosts..

BraveSirRobin

Mar 17, 2010
Given that Smash Bros is kind of the only big game you can really use these with it would make sense to do initial limited runs and then rerelease them after they finish the initial run or as other games that feature these characters come out. Still it sounds like the supply was incredibly limited even if that was their strategy so I have my doubts that this is all we'll see of these 3.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Are these characters really that popular?
When I went out looking for a Link Amiibo, the villager and the wii fit trainer were pretty much the only ones left.
That said, it's hilarious to see the price on ebay and amazon suddenly skyrocket after this news, and checking several stores...looks like they literally sold out overnight.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
If you're a Marth, Villager or Wii Fit Trainer fan... you may want to rush out and buy one.
You fool! You're just playing into Nintendo's hands becoming their hype/marketing machine!
Neronium said:
Welp, time to grab that Marth Amiibo now, and then preorder the Shulk one since it'll probably be discontinued really fast. Then I'll grab the Megaman one and the Ganondorf one.
Story said:
Better go ahead and preorder those Shulk and Ike figures.
Eclipse Dragon said:
Wow I'm glad I got Marth when I did. I guess I'll have to make sure to grab up Ike and Shulk as quickly as possible as well and just abandon hope of ever seeing a Lucina figure.
C.TYR said:
So, yeah, I just went online and bought the last Wii Fit Trainer Amiibo left in a walmart near me right now.
...Clever girl.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Hairless Mammoth said:
I'm having a hard time finding Pikmin 3(Why is it fucking $80 on Amazon?), while most stores probably still stock 2 or more copies of Call of Duty Ghosts..
We recently moved all new copies of Pikmin 3 to pre-owned, which means Nintendo has stopped producing new copies of the game.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
I'm having a hard time finding Pikmin 3(Why is it fucking $80 on Amazon?), while most stores probably still stock 2 or more copies of Call of Duty Ghosts..
We recently moved all new copies of Pikmin 3 to pre-owned, which means Nintendo has stopped producing new copies of the game.
Thanks for the info. I figured they stopped pressing new discs. At least, there's used copies floating around for less than $60, but this gives me the bad feeling Ninty will embrace their limited run philosophy more, thanks to full Wii U and 3DS titles being downloadable.

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
This angers me greatly. I really wanted a villager!

Why would they discontinue them after only like three weeks? And with no warning? A lot of people (especially, you know, kids) aren't getting Smash until Christmas. Now they may never get a figure of their favorite character...

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Zontar said:
As a Canadian I have to ask: what the hell is Video Games Plus? I've never herd of these guys.
Basically it's mail-order video games that cost as much as walking into the average retail store.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
That seems...rather dumb if you ask me. I mean good thing that they still have digital copies, but Nintendo still has the problem of tying digital games to the hardware instead of the account.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I feel like this needs a second source before people start proclaiming Nintendo is the devil

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
DeimosMasque said:
I feel like this needs a second source before people start proclaiming Nintendo is the devil
Good thing people in this thread are questioning the logic behind it, along with apparently the fact that they've stopped printing Pikmin 3 copies, than actually calling them evil. >.>

m0ng00se

May 5, 2005
it's not that hard to find pikmin at retail

nintendo will probably reprint it at 30 bucks for next holidays if their greatest hits patterns are any indication

nintendo also shuts down production in december for like a month, so "discontinued" might just mean "unable to be ordered for at least a while"

they might skip right to series 2 and forget series one, though

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Neronium said:
DeimosMasque said:
Good thing people in this thread are questioning the logic behind it, along with apparently the fact that they've stopped printing Pikmin 3 copies, than actually calling them evil. >.>
I didn't mean it literally, though I suppose I could have picked my language more carefully.

To be fair though there have been a few people speculating that Nintendo is doing this intentionally to create "forced shortages" and "so they can release the special limited edition ones" and things such as that.