Nintendo Will Make a Billion Dollars From Amiibo Sales, Claims Analyst

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
squeebles12 said:
Am I the only person still slightly confused about what an amiibo is? As well as the fact that they missed a brilliant naming oppurtunity by not naming the things an Amiigo? C'mon think about it!
They are just figures that can be loaded with game AI and transfered. As well as acting as physical DLC unlocks

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Casual Shinji said:
Oh God, does this mean both Sony and Microsoft are gonna start making these damn figurine games too? Considering the state Sony is in, I'm afraid they will.
I don't think so, the concept works for Nintendo for the same reason Super Smash does, they have a HUGE library of exclusive characters to draw from (it also helps that the figures don't look half bad so have an appeal to collectors as well as people who want to use them for their intended purpose). Sony may try, but they don't have nearly the character list these days.
That didn't stop 'm with Playstation All-Stars. Disney copied it from Activision, and Nintendo copied it from Disney, resulting in huge succes for all three. There's no reason for that bug not to spread to at least Sony.
I know I'd pay money for a Spyro figure,..oh wait.
Okay, okay Heck, I'll admit I'd buy Sly Cooper figure because I'm a sucker.

At any rate I do think you have a point. However I don't see them being nearly as successful as Nintendo or Disney. The idea of playable figures doesn't seem to match their audience in general. I'm not certain All Stars did very well as a game either, correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Story said:
Casual Shinji said:
That didn't stop 'm with Playstation All-Stars. Disney copied it from Activision, and Nintendo copied it from Disney, resulting in huge succes for all three. There's no reason for that bug not to spread to at least Sony.
I know I'd pay money for a Spyro figure,..oh wait.
Okay, okay Heck, I'll admit I'd buy Sly Cooper figure because I'm a sucker.

At any rate I do think you have a point. However I don't see them being nearly as successful as Nintendo or Disney. The idea of playable figures doesn't seem to match their audience in general. I'm not certain All Stars did very well as a game either, correct me if I'm wrong of course.
The fact that they're going to try is already enough for me to get weary.

plutoburns

Nov 19, 2014
Rednog said:
I'm on the fence, I finally caved and got a WiiU during blackfriday because it was a decent deal. But I still stand behind Nintendo's consoles essentially being pretty only useful for 1st party titles. Its fine and all, and I've had some fun, but I sure as shit will never be my primary gaming platform. Good for nintendo for tapping another money making vein, though I really wish they'd restock stores with them, went around looking for a Link Amiibo all day, damn near every store was pretty much Donkey Kong and Kirby.

I also wish they would just have a standard controller like the PS4 and Xbox and actually have them work properly with their games. I've tried the pro controller, but some imputs are just terrible, Y+R pressed exactly together to grab an enemy and throw them in New Super Mario Bros...why. Just make it R.
Dear sir. Have you tried the L button? the L button is the dedicate grab button while R is the shield/dodge button. You can grab people out of shields, is what I think you have been doing.

Good on ya nintendo. At this point, you are the only console worth owning. Ive got myself hooked up with a decent gaming pc, so that and the Wii U should keep me going through this generation.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
plutoburns said:
Rednog said:
I'm on the fence, I finally caved and got a WiiU during blackfriday because it was a decent deal. But I still stand behind Nintendo's consoles essentially being pretty only useful for 1st party titles. Its fine and all, and I've had some fun, but I sure as shit will never be my primary gaming platform. Good for nintendo for tapping another money making vein, though I really wish they'd restock stores with them, went around looking for a Link Amiibo all day, damn near every store was pretty much Donkey Kong and Kirby.

I also wish they would just have a standard controller like the PS4 and Xbox and actually have them work properly with their games. I've tried the pro controller, but some imputs are just terrible, Y+R pressed exactly together to grab an enemy and throw them in New Super Mario Bros...why. Just make it R.
Dear sir. Have you tried the L button? the L button is the dedicate grab button while R is the shield/dodge button. You can grab people out of shields, is what I think you have been doing.

Good on ya nintendo. At this point, you are the only console worth owning. Ive got myself hooked up with a decent gaming pc, so that and the Wii U should keep me going through this generation.
While I did mention Amiibos the beginning of my post, the game I was talking about was New Super Mario Bros. The waggle functions are bound to dual button inputs for really no reason.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
Well that's good news for Nintendo. I on the other hand still don't even know what exactly a Amiibo is...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Why does the article title still say they will make a billion dollars after it's been established it's not even close to that? It's kind of misleading...

Anyway, good for Nintendo. I kinda want some of those Amiibos and I don't even own a WiiU.
Because the article says so:

Furthermore, analysts predict that Nintendo's amiibo figures, which are selling out so fast people think they've been discontinued, are set to bring in the company a billion dollars in profit from US sales alone.
297 millions was what they predicted for the year. 1 billion is what they predict for the total sales of Amiibo figures. Sometimes it pays off to read the article before calling it misleading.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Why does the article title still say they will make a billion dollars after it's been established it's not even close to that? It's kind of misleading...

Anyway, good for Nintendo. I kinda want some of those Amiibos and I don't even own a WiiU.
OT: Ditto, wouldn't mind a few of the Disney Infinity figures they have as well.

Off Track: So how exactly do these work exactly? I've seen the Disney Infinity figures and now these "Amiibo" things and yet have no idea how they work.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mcoffey said:

I don't think its misleading at all. I didn't say that they were 100% going to make a billion dollars, it clearly states that this is an analysts opinion (with the "Analyst Claims" at the end there)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
I don't think its misleading at all. I didn't say that they were 100% going to make a billion dollars, it clearly states that this is an analysts opinion (with the "Analyst Claims" at the end there)
first two sentences in this thread:

Analysts estimate Nintendo will make a $297 million profit this year

They are contradicting eachother, unless you are trying to say that the first one applies to eternity while the second one only to this year.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Strazdas said:
Steven Bogos said:

They are contradicting eachother, unless you are trying to say that the first one applies to eternity while the second one only to this year.

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Strazdas said:
Steven Bogos said:

Revenue and profit are two different things. They may gross a billion dollars total, but the associated expenses, combined with the Wii U's losses, could bring that number down to $300 mil.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I don't doubt this.

I already bought 2 Amiibo's and I don't even own a WiiU.
The figures look really nice and I want them for keeping on display.

At $13 the price is very competative to other figurines that don't even have some in-game functionality.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Matthew Jabour said:
Revenue and profit are two different things. They may gross a billion dollars total, but the associated expenses, combined with the Wii U's losses, could bring that number down to $300 mil.
They have been selling Wii U's at a profit for at least 6 months now, I think they made that announcement shortly after MK8 was released.

Anyhow, I'm glad this is working out for them - it will give them the opportunity into developing more games and expanding existing teams or acquiring smaller publishers to make games for 3DS/WiiU/Future Hardware.

I will probably buy a Splatoon Amiibo, the octopus baddie is the one I want.