"Nintendo won't survive without third-party support."

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
But the younglings? The post 2000 gen? No, they have no interest in Nintendo, not when the PS4 or Xbox or tablets/smartphones, or even laptops are all available. To them Ocarina of Time is a bad-graphics mess of unimpressive characters, with no multiplayer elements or customization. And no tits!
Nah, based on my personal, anecdotal experiences, we are finally moving beyond this crap. I'm an assistant scoutmaster and a lifeguard and an older cousin to preteen boys and consequently spend a ton of time surrounded by the exact demographic you're describing. In years passed, they all played Call of Duty religiously, and now there are kids that never had a Nintendo console, not even a handheld, asking me about my wiiu because they're saving up for one. I don't know what happened, and it might be a local phenomenon, but except for my turd cousins who really do only play decade old GTA on tablets while wearing specifically Lebron James sneakers, there's been quite a resurgence of love for Nintendo and Magic: the Gathering among the 11-15 year olds I interact with. They're all just waiting for Christmas and Smash Bros to get a WiiU.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AJ_Lethal said:
If 3rd parties don't like to play ball with Nintendo for whatever reason
"for whatever reason?"

Come now. The guys who told third parties to go screw themselves generations ago and still seem to think they can get away with it because they seem to think they're the giants they were in the SNES era?

I think we can think of a reason.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Nintendo just doesn't utilize what it has to it's full potential. If it brought all it's IPs out to play every generation, and worked a bit on Mario's direction, they could have some amazing numbers rolling in.

I recently went shopping for games (and made a horrible mistake) and graced the DS/3DS aisle....shitty third party gimmick games and overpriced first-party games. Pokemon HeartGold was actually more expensive than it was at initial retail. Super Mario Bros. is still $30.

I've always been a Sony fan, they made my childhood, but as I've gone back and explored Nintendo's old catalogs, and the line-up of Wii U exclusives coming out, I'd buy a Wii U before I got a PS4. They can survive, they just aren't putting in their full effort.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Nintendo didn't need Third Parties to sell the Wii, they did that all by themselves. They can do it again.
They can't, that's the problem. With the Wii they somehow got into a fashion craze that they didn't understand, they were selling to people who 'don't' play videogames on the grounds that it was some kind of excersize and lifestyle device.

Unfortunately, those same people view their Wii much the same way they view a toaster, games console? Already got one thanks. Those customers won't be coming round again now that they've got a Wii and whatever fashion trend it was attached to has long since dispersed.

Without really strong third party support Nintendo basically limit themselves to Gamecube levels of success (although the Wii U is selling considerably worse than that right now). They can make some of the best games in history for the Wii U and it won't matter to the people who want to play multiplats first (just like what happened to the Cube).

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
I don't know. We have Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third for upcoming Nintendo third party games. We also have Skylanders and Disney Infinity which are popular on the Wii U. Past third party games include Sonic: Lost World, Lego City: Undercover, Zombii U (admittedly a polarizing game), and The Wonderful 101 (made by a third party studio). One must also remember that they are working closely with third party studios for many of their first party titles like Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros, that pokemon fighting game, SMT X FE. Oh, and we must not forget the indie scene! Shovel Knight has had great success on the Wii U and 3DS. Speaking of the 3DS, there is a solid 3rd party there as well coming from a load of publishers. Really, I'm not seeing the lack of third party here....

...Oh, you mean EA, Activision, and Ubisoft? Well, yeah, the lack of the big AAA third parties is a big hit, to be sure, but it does not mean that Nintendo has no third party support. So, all in all, that video makes absolutely no sense.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Ten Foot Bunny said:
The lack of third-party support to bring graphical diversity to Nintendo's games is but one reason why I will NEVER buy a Nintendo product. I really dislike the bright, colorful, childlike style of their games. In fact, I was burned out on it during the days of the SNES. The titles on the Gamecube hinted at a desire to bring in gamers of all ilks, but the post-Gamecube era seems to be where they said, "Fuck it, let's be a one-trick pony and foster an image of being the one truly 'wholesome' console." Or did they say "Fudge it?" Yeah, probably the latter.

In my mind, Nintendo is like The Sound of Music when compared to other manufacturers' Evil Dead.

Note, this is only MY opinion and I have no quarrel with people who enjoy Nintendo's style. :) If "diversity is the spice of life" as the saying goes, then I'm glad our world has so many flavors, Nintendo included. May it never disappear from the gaming landscape.
Ten Foot Bunny is the perfect example of, while Nintendo DOES need some Third-Party support, they can't just slap any old game into the system. They tend to lean towards a more artistic aesthetic as opposed to a high-fidelity one. People who are put off by those types of graphics either wont buy that game, causing problems for the developer, or wont by the console which causes problems for Nintendo.

Even games like Devils Third or Beyonetta, from what I've seen, shows that while Nintendo has no problem with violence or mature themes, they tend to lean more towards an artistic aesthetic instead of just graphical fidelity and it's one of the reasons I like Nintendos games so much. Yes, a large part of that is nostalgia but a lot of it is also that you can easily enjoy the game, warts (or even giant cone-boobs in The Great Fairys case) and all because you're not constantly reminded of how bad that texture looks or how goofy-looking some character looks due to poor degrading.

It's also why a lot of indie games have done great on the Wii U, they fit the general aesthetic that Nintendos users are used to seeing.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
AJ_Lethal said:
"for whatever reason?"

Come now. The guys who told third parties to go screw themselves generations ago and still seem to think they can get away with it because they seem to think they're the giants they were in the SNES era?

In that case is a petty ass 20-year grudge with a dead man (Yamaguchi).

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I bought a U (stupidly) last year and tolerated it for about 7 months before I had to get rid of the thing. The support for the console is/was absolutely laughable, nintendo fucked up big time on this system and it's apparent they barely know what they are doing right now.

The fact that there is almost no 3rd party support didn't prevent me from buying the system but it sure as shit helped in my decision to get rid of it quickly.

Personally I'm just burnt out on the childish graphic style that nintendo uses, it's old and overdone. When I was a young teen it was a cool style (SNES days), but now it almost unacceptable to me unless it's some kind of indie game. Don't get me wrong I love colorful games but I'm not a child and nintendo just forces it too much.

Grow up nintendo, I think it's well past time.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Remember the Nintendo Seal of Approval? That was Nintendo's attempt to strangle the market, back in the day. To publish your game on the SNES, you had to give Nintendo a cut for every cartridge MADE, and they maintained strict control over IP's. They were the Apple of their day, and it was just as bad for the market and for them as it is for Apple now. Following the Sony debacle which led directly to the creation of the PS1, and Nintendo's continued attempts to maintain proprietary formats, third party developers became increasingly disenfranchised with Nintendo, leading to their low point with the Game Cube. It wasn't until the Wii came out that Nintendo suddenly became relevant again, and with relaxed standards a second gold rush of shovelware ensued - I think we all remember the billions of shitty Wii games.
The seal of approval approach was also one of the things credited with saving the US from the big crash of the 80's, they were strict with requirements meaning a few less crappy cash ins and bad games, and help restore confidence. So its not a bad thing and all in all has sod all to do with it.

Its very simpler, its cheaper for the bigger AAA devs that have utterly stupid dev costs to make for the two consoles that are different only in small ways, the Xbox One and the 360, that is why they are avoiding the wiiU now, and why they avoided the Wii before for most things (needed to code for separately due to it being very different in capabilities)

Sod all to do with histories or anything, its simple economics due to bloated budgets.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
The writer talks about a balance between first and third party, then why not chastise Microsoft for not caring about first party titles then? Xbox does well with third parties, and Nintendo does well with it's first party stuff, and I would say that Sony is somewhere in the middle. Each console has it's own way of making itself appeal to it's own crowd.

Nintendo could use some help with third parties, but it's not like they have absolutely zero third party content. Hyrule Warriors shows they can do a collaboration with another company for example.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
jpoon said:
Grow up nintendo, I think it's well past time.
I will never understand opinions like this. Not that you need to like Nintendo's aesthetic. It's perfectly fine that you don't, but the very idea that Nintendo needs to "grow up" baffles my mind. First off, what does "growing up" even mean? More tits, blood, and gore? Well, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, No More Heroes, Mad World, Red Steel, Senran Kagura, Shin Megami Tensei IV, and loads of more games all have that. Why does Nintendo need to change its franchises as well?

No, seriously, explain to me what "growing up" means in this context.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
AJ_Lethal said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
AJ_Lethal said:
"for whatever reason?"

In that case is a petty ass 20-year grudge with a dead man (Yamaguchi).
I was gonna say, that's basically saying "it's okay to hold a sociopathic grudge against something that happened decades ago with different management." Are there ANY executives at a lot of the big Western 3rd parties that were even around during the SNES days? And even so, grudges are not something companies should hold because that just paints the entirety of the Western gamersphere in a VERY tasteless light that I wouldn't want to be a part of.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I don't really see that it matters so much now since 90% of all next-gen developers are just making the same shit anyway, since the people holding the purse strings have all but squashed every ounce of creativity out of them in a misguided effort to hit sales targets.

I think it's now the indie developers who may start to decide the victor, because that's where all the really interesting ideas are happening right now, if you ask me.

I guess in that case, it makes sense that Sony are currently in the lead, but I'm still happy with just my WiiU for the time being because, third party or no third party, Nintendo's first party stuff is infinitely stronger than either of their competitors.

Oh, also worth mentioning I own a laptop, too, so I can already play the majority of the indie ports that the PS4 is offering.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Vykrel said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Nintendo didn't need Third Parties to sell the Wii, they did that all by themselves.
the Wii sold so well because it was something completely different and new, and it appealed to people who arent even into gaming. it was both a game console and a toy that could be enjoyed by pretty much everyone. however, the gimmick of motion controls has worn off by now. Sony and Microsoft abandoned the idea pretty quickly, and Nintendo has as well.

Nintendo needs to ensure that their next console can compete with the others in terms of power and online experience, and they also need some more mature exclusives and new IPs. unfortunately, i dont see any of that happening, and i wouldnt be surprised if they ended up going the way of Sega and stop developing home consoles altogether.

as it stands, Nintendo is relying solely on nostalgia. the only thing that made me buy a Wii was Mario Kart and SSBB, with the hopes that there would be other exclusives that interested me, but there never were any. i learned me lesson and wont be buying a Wii U, even though i really want to play Mario Kart 8. basically, there is little reason to buy a Wii U unless you are a fan of every series they have been offering for decades. you need to be a fan of Super Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Star Fox, and Super Smash Bros. because that is basically all they have to offer.

they really do need third party support, and they wont get it until their consoles are closer to being equal to Playstation and Xbox.
Nintendo isn't making new IPs? Did you even watch their E3? They're making Splatoon and Code Name STEAM.

Mature exclusives? You mean like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, and Fatal Frame V?

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
I really don't see the point in Nintendo or in fact any consoles anymore. What's the difference between Mario Kart for the SNES and 64 from the new Mario Kart? Besides prettier graphics, new characters, and items? What's the difference between the older Mario 2D games and the newer mario 2D games? Besides prettier graphics and new powerups? What's the difference between Mario 64 and newer 3D mario games? Besides prettier graphics, more characters, and new powerups?

That's the point. All were getting is the same games over and over and over that has small changes. When I can use an emulator and play all the older Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, etc. for free what is the damn point in buying a new one when it's going to be almost the exact same as previous games? Why would I waste money just buying the same experiences with a prettier paint job over and over? Same thing with CoD and any other abused cash cow. What's the point in Bayonetta when I can play the older one and not spend anymore money?

When I can have the original experiences for free, these companies not just Nintendo need to start creating REAL incentives to continue buying their products.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Artaneius said:
I really don't see the point in Nintendo or in fact any consoles anymore. What's the difference between Mario Kart for the SNES and 64 from the new Mario Kart? Besides prettier graphics, new characters, and items? What's the difference between the older Mario 2D games and the newer mario 2D games? Besides prettier graphics and new powerups? What's the difference between Mario 64 and newer 3D mario games? Besides prettier graphics, more characters, and new powerups?

That's the point. All were getting is the same games over and over and over that has small changes. When I can use an emulator and play all the older Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, etc. for free what is the damn point in buying a new one when it's going to be almost the exact same as previous games? Why would I waste money just buying the same experiences with a prettier paint job over and over? Same thing with CoD and any other abused cash cow. What's the point in Bayonetta when I can play the older one and not spend anymore money?

When I can have the original experiences for free, these companies not just Nintendo need to start creating REAL incentives to continue buying their products.
Uh, with that attitude, why buy games at all? I mean, I could get into how Galaxy's gravity, 3D World's and New Super Mario Bros's 4 co-op multiplayer, Mario Kart 8's anti-grav allowing for more interesting and beautiful tracks, and how newer games do in fact expand, improve, and innovate old concepts but it doesn't seem to me like you'd care.

What would be a REAL incentive to you then?

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
xaszatm said:
Artaneius said:

Uh, with that attitude, why buy games at all? I mean, I could get into how Galaxy's gravity, 3D World's and New Super Mario Bros's 4 co-op multiplayer, Mario Kart 8's anti-grav allowing for more interesting and beautiful tracks, and how newer games do in fact expand, improve, and innovate old concepts but it doesn't seem to me like you'd care.

New games in general. New experiences that I can't get for free. If I can get the same things for free, no point in wasting money. That's what the incentive for every entertainment business should be. Not just rehashing things over and over with small improvements. If you want my money, make me something new for every product.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Artaneius said:
xaszatm said:
Artaneius said:

New games in general. New experiences that I can't get for free. If I can get the same things for free, no point in wasting money. That's what the incentive for every entertainment business should be. Not just rehashing things over and over with small improvements. If you want my money, make me something new for every product.
Splatoon, Zombii U, The Wonderful 101, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U for Nintendo, Titanfall for Xbox One, No Man's Sky for PS4. These are the new experiences for the next generation with plenty more to come from all three. Also, are you really going to tell me with a straight face that Bayonetta 2 will be the exact same experience as Bayonetta 1? Really?

TKj2iG8lC34?t=8m20s[/youtube]

Mudokon

Jun 24, 2013
Artaneius said:

well i cant agree cause Mario Galaxy has many many changes such as graphics, gameplay, mechanics, really big changes in the lvls, the only thing that is same is the character itself and the name Mario, i have an experience in these games maybe they seem the same to you but if you actually play them youll notice that these games are evolving and the lvls of galaxy are awesome with creativity (see antimatter splater lvl) that i rarely see from other developers, i agree for the newer 2d mario games but either way their point is to remind the classics.