Nintendo's Amiibo Figures Are Not Quite as Detailed as First Advertised

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Maze1125 said:
144 said:
So I assume then, that in spite of your defense of the product, you also won't be buying these?
No, I will be buying these, because I have children and they're going to absolutely love them.
In other words, they aren't for you, these cheap kids-toy-looking things are for your kids. I know. Verlander and I finished this conversation already.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
My guess is that they initially planned for them to look like the promo materials, but the cost to mass produce them with that level of detail wound-up costing a bit more than was worth for a $13 figurine.
Does make sense, a good quality figure isn't cheap to produce. Even with the slight downgrade in quality, I'm pretty sure I'll pick up at least a couple of these (Link, Samus to name a couple). Even if I think of the word "amoeba" when I think of the name.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Karthesios said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
My guess is that they initially planned for them to look like the promo materials, but the cost to mass produce them with that level of detail wound-up costing a bit more than was worth for a $13 figurine.
Does make sense, a good quality figure isn't cheap to produce. Even with the slight downgrade in quality, I'm pretty sure I'll pick up at least a couple of these (Link, Samus to name a couple). Even if I think of the word "amoeba" when I think of the name.
Dammit! Now I'm gonna start making that association! >_<

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
the main problems i see are confined to the humanoid characters - textures, faces and swords - and paint detailing. DK and yoshi look fine, pikachu and kirby look fine as long as the eyes are painted symmetrically, samus looks a little more plastic, but still looks good (search online for a video/pic of it). it's only the tiny details that seem to have lost some precision, like peach's face and hands, link's and marth's swords, etc.

problem with the poses is they are supposed to mimic the "main" trophy from smash bros, which makes for some hard choices when some of the trophies are practically in the air.

i'd totally pay like $20 for the "deluxe" versions of some of them, others are almost perfect without.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Well that's a shame, I was considering to by a Samus model for display but these do look pretty cheap compared to what was previously shown. Although the lighting in the new photos might be making them look a bit worse.

ajr209

May 6, 2013
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
ajr209 said:
If you are going to cut corners in a way that will cause the prototype of your product to be noticeably better than the finished retail product for F***s sake DON"T show the prototype because you will only make people feel cheated and potentially sour them on your brand. This seems to be a lesson the industry is having difficulty learning *cough watchdogs cough*. If I had only seen the finished product it wouldn't have occurred to me that there was anything wrong with them since they're about as detailed as most comparably priced action figures I've seen but next to the prototype they look just cheap. You know how transformers toys nowadays have the full version for like fifteen dollars and then they have the smaller less detailed ones for half that price? Well that's what popped into my head when I saw those pics, except at least with the transformers there's the option of getting the more detailed ones.
The thing is, Watch Dogs looked only slightly worse then the original E3 trailer on the version they originally planned to release, back when it was supposedly a PC focused title. Its why people were so pissed that they hid features in the code.
How much of a difference there actually was doesn't change that it was enough to be noticed by many people and that it was presented as this is how it will look not this is how it will look...on PC. My point was if they hadn't shown promotional material that was noticeably better than what was eventually sold people would have no reason to think there was anything wrong with it. I was just using watchdogs as an example and I still feel it was a good one because it plays so heavily into how a company can shoot itself in the foot with this sort of thing.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Guffe said:
Why is no-one whining that the Hamburger at McDonlads doesn't look as god as in the picture?
Some people do.

But if you're asking why people aren't complaining about burgers in a thread about figurines... well... I think you can figure that one out on your own.