Nintendo's Amiibo Figures Are Not Quite as Detailed as First Advertised

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo's Amiibo Figures Are Not Quite as Detailed as First Advertised

The production model run of Nintendo's upcoming Amiibo figures are missing some of the subtle details from the initial images we saw.

When we first saw Nintendo's upcoming Joystiq [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11633-Amiibo-NFC-Figures-for-Smash-Bros-and-Other-WiiU-Titles-Update] has gotten a look at the production run final versions of the figures... and I must say that a few of the finer details have been lost.

For example, take a look at these comparison pics (courtesy of Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/nintendos-amiibo-figures-look-a-little-bit-different-in-1651030422]) of Princess Peach and Link, with the prototype images on the left, and the production run ones on the right:

[gallery=3411]

As you can see, Peach's dress, which looked to have an inlaid mold on the prototype model, is simply a painted pattern on the retail version. Similarly, the thin white support holding up Link's figure has been replaced with an thick yellow beam.

The changes aren't overall too huge, but considering that all places advertising these things are using the prototype model images in their advertising materials, it is a slight misleading. Here's some more images of the retail versions of the figures:

[gallery=3412]

As you can see, while clearly a little bit worse than their prototypes, the figures are still pretty good considering they are $13 and have computer chips inside them.

I know I'm going to be picking up the sweet Donkey Kong figure regardless.

Sources: Kotaku [http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/24/super-smash-bros-amiibo-figures-are-part-trophy-part-protege/]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Miniatures are not as detailed as they were in promotional material? I MUST SEND DEATH THREATS TO FEMALES WORKING IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY!!!!

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Don't even care. They still look fucking awesome.
I'm going to buy these faster than heroine addicts bought Bayonetta 2

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Worgen said:
Miniatures are not as detailed as they were in promotional material? I MUST SEND DEATH THREATS TO FEMALES WORKING IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY!!!!
Better yet, sue Nintendo for false advertising. :-D

OT: Still look pretty good, but they do look way less detailed than the prototypes.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
I'm simply going to carve the missing details and repaint them anyway like I did with my Gundam models so that's not a big problem to begin with.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
It's actually a dealbreaker for me. The prototypes were something worthy of being displayed, but the actual ones are simply too cheap-looking for visual purposes. Why does one buy a figurine? To display.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
144 said:
It's actually a dealbreaker for me. The prototypes were something worthy of being displayed, but the actual ones are simply too cheap-looking for visual purposes. Why does one buy a figurine? To display.
Agreed. I guess I should have expected this but its unfortunate it's like this.

Though I shouldn't be surprised considering how cheap they are.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
*Rubs chin*

Well, the actual ones are clearly different from the display versions. Some of the finer details like Peach's dress, as the article says, has had corners cut. Still... I can't help but feel that aside from that, how plastic-y and cheap they look is a result of poorer lighting as opposed to the prototypes.

...Eh, either way, misleading. Poor form, Ninty. You guys are doing great right now; it's a small thing, but even one small screw up can end up putting a dent in your recent quest for goodwill.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Understandable reason to be disappointed I guess, but I agree that the unflattering photography is mostly to blame.

Even if they're a tad different, I don't think there is much of an issue with false advertisement here, thanks to the window-style packaging they have. You're not being deceived into buying an ugly hunk of plastic that doesn't do anything. Not to mention that looking pretty is at most a secondary function of these.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
They look pretty much the same, minus lighting. What am I missing?
From what I could tell a lot of detail. Look at the detail and the colors of peaches eyes with the left and right picture. There is clear quality drop for a $13 dollar figurine.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eh. Lighting aside, they're only slightly worse. They still look cool enough.

Worgen said:
So what would this be? #amiibogate? #displaygate? #totallynotafarcelegitconsumeroutragegate?

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
I just want to know why they went with that HORRIBLE yellow plastic for the stand.

they do realize the point of clear plastic is to make it less noticable, right?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
AdamG3691 said:
I just want to know why they went with that HORRIBLE yellow plastic for the stand.

they do realize the point of clear plastic is to make it less noticable, right?
I think its to make them look like the trophies in the actual game. But I don't like that shade either.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Back to R&P with you lot.

OT: They look like cheap Chinese knockoffs compared to their prototypes. I understand cutting costs is a thing, but it might've done them good to release a more expensive version using the prototype models. Then again, that might come off as "Here poor cunts, have the shit ones".

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
I'm still getting them. I don't care. I want it. Now, when is shulk getting a figurine... And Robin... and...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Worgen said:
Is that supposed to be a joke? Because I'm not laughing.

Back on-topic, I wasn't all that excited about the amiibos in the first place, so it's not a huge deal for me. You could certainly do worse for $13. Most people are going to be buying these for the digital goodies anyway.

If I do decide to get one, it'll probably be my main man Luigi. Been my primary since Melee with his crazy midairs.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I couldn't really get past how terrible the pictures are to examine the quality of the figures.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If not for the side-by-side comparison, I probably wouldn't have noticed. It's not like these final versions look like they were made by a couple of Chinese kids or something. ...Well, maybe they were, but they look well crafted nonetheless.