Nintendo's E3 Demos Heading to Best Buy

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Nintendo's E3 Demos Heading to Best Buy

Ordinary gamers can test-drive upcoming Wii U games from a more-conveniently located participating retailer.

Of all the videogaming expos, E3 is considered to be the largest and most important for the industry. Developers and publishers from around the world flock annually to Los Angeles for the three-day event, bringing their biggest gaming announcements and demos along with them. If you're an ordinary gamer however, you'll only hear about these demos second-hand, since the convention is closed off to the general public. That's a practice Nintendo hopes to change this year by making its E3 content available to outside visitors. The gaming publisher has partnered with Best Buy to bring over 100 E3 stations to outlets across North America, allowing everyday gamers to play its anticipated Wii U titles.

Anyone interested in playing Nintendo's upcoming games should <a href=http://www.bestbuy.com/NintendoEvents>visit a participating Best Buy on Wednesday June 12th from 4pm-8pm, or on Saturday June 15th from 1pm-5pm. The demos will be available in 89 American outlets and another 21 in Canada, while "Luigi loot" and Wii U bonuses will be awarded to attendees. Unfortunately, no one knows exactly what games will be featured until Nintendo unveils them on June 11th, the first day of E3.

For some reason though, I suspect we'll see a Zelda game, a Mario sequel, and maybe Kirby, Donkey Kong, or Metroid. Just a hunch.

Source: <a href=http://www.bestbuy.com/NintendoEvents>Best Buy

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
That is a pretty awesome idea, actually. I remember wanting to play the demos of the various nintendo games way back when I got super-excited about E3. I certainly hope this goes well, and if it does, I hope they continue it.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Except none of the displays will work and will be covered in the germs and hand grease of tons of children. No thank you

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Nintendo WiiU - desperately trying to stay relevant when the big boys came out.....

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
My local Best Buy does not participate. So... I can either take a pass, or drive for three hours after work to make it for the last hour. Choices, choices...

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I think it's good to see that Nintendo is actually trying to impress consumers rather than journalists. However it should be mentioned that I would like to see the demos made available in the eShop rather than just in some Best Buy stores, but I guess they are focusing on people who don't have a Wii U rather than those of us who actually bought one... Or any of their fans outside America...

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Strazdas said:
Nintendo WiiU - desperately trying to stay relevant when the big boys came out.....
Seriously? This is a fantastic move that benefits (some American) consumers - the kind of thing you could only DREAM of the "big boys" doing. How dare you criticise a move where the consumers are the winners as "desperation". It's a great business move on Nintendo's part and everybody wins.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
NoeL said:
Anoni Mus said:
also Rare is working on a game
Wait, what? Aren't they still owned by Microsoft? What did I miss here?
He probably meant Retro. Ya know, because good Rare games are retro.

OT: That's a great idea. I always wanted to try out the E3 games, but for now, there is no chance of me eve going to E3.
While I still won't be able to play those demons (not in NA), I'm happy for all the people who will. This way we will also be able to get a better insight of the quality. Now different more people will be able to try them and write their opinion on the games.

This is a move where everyone wins. Nintendo gets attention, gamer get a chance to play the games.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I don't know if this is going to make a big enough difference for those who don't own a Wii U yet. Anyone who wants to try the Wii U can do so by walking into a local target or best buy and trying out whatever game they got plugged in. On the other hand, it would potentially give people the chance to try out and play something they may like.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
NoeL said:
Strazdas said:
Seriously? This is a fantastic move that benefits (some American) consumers - the kind of thing you could only DREAM of the "big boys" doing. How dare you criticise a move where the consumers are the winners as "desperation". It's a great business move on Nintendo's part and everybody wins.
Yes, a fantastic move of being able to get a apha stage demo from nintedo that will very likely be a generic mario 25 game. This is desperation because thats the only way they can stay revent in the class of the "big boys". Nintendo was never the highest profile (well ok it was at one point) and now with nothing new to offer they woudl be drowned if they didnt take drastic and desperate measures.
I didnt say it was a bad thing. for us, consumers, such drastic measures are GOOD, because it gives more poewr to us and less to the game company. For a business, its desperation at its finest.

Anoni Mus said:
He's probably buthurt the Xbox One is a fail and fears Nintendo will be the best selling console of the generation again.
Actually, im happy Xbone is a fail. I never liked Eggsbox $3.60. I dont like Wii and its incarnations either, but if anything Wii showed that market domination doesnt mean that much. Im merely dissapointed that people are cheering a console that (barely) did what is expected by default jsut because the alternative sucks. Thats like saying that alcohol is healthy because hey theres heroin out there.

On the other hand OUYA did it right - publiec E3 and an actual fight for consumer rights instead of just "hey look at the bone were waving".

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Strazdas said:
NoeL said:
Strazdas said:
Yes, a fantastic move of being able to get a apha stage demo from nintedo that will very likely be a generic mario 25 game. This is desperation because thats the only way they can stay revent in the class of the "big boys". Nintendo was never the highest profile (well ok it was at one point) and now with nothing new to offer they woudl be drowned if they didnt take drastic and desperate measures.
I didnt say it was a bad thing. for us, consumers, such drastic measures are GOOD, because it gives more poewr to us and less to the game company. For a business, its desperation at its finest.

Anoni Mus said:
He's probably buthurt the Xbox One is a fail and fears Nintendo will be the best selling console of the generation again.
Actually, im happy Xbone is a fail. I never liked Eggsbox $3.60. I dont like Wii and its incarnations either, but if anything Wii showed that market domination doesnt mean that much. Im merely dissapointed that people are cheering a console that (barely) did what is expected by default jsut because the alternative sucks. Thats like saying that alcohol is healthy because hey theres heroin out there.

On the other hand OUYA did it right - publiec E3 and an actual fight for consumer rights instead of just "hey look at the bone were waving".
Didn't most of the early ouya backers say it was terrible? I also fail to see how this move is at all desperate on Nintendo's part. They probably didn't even have to spend much money. Ninty gets advertisement and best buy gets customers.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Innegativeion said:
Didn't most of the early ouya backers say it was terrible? I also fail to see how this move is at all desperate on Nintendo's part. They probably didn't even have to spend much money. Ninty gets advertisement and best buy gets customers.
I dont know, didnt follow Ouya closely as i already got an andoird gaming device. Its called a phone.
Nintendy woudl be the small and forgotten during this years E3 because everyones eyes are on PS4 and Xbone atm. They are trying to drag attention to themselves in any way they know how, desperately, and thus cave in to breake the E3 rules of being industry only and publicly releasing them, hoping for more attention than they deserve.
Once again, i dont say that is bad that they did that, just desperate.

Gregg Johnson

Jul 25, 2012
Innegativeion said:
I'm an OUYA backer. And while I wouldn't say it's terrible, I will say it needs a lot of polish. It's rough right now, but very fix-able, I think.