Nintendo's Iwata Unimpressed With iPad, 3D Gaming

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
iPad didn't really interest me either. Or 3D gaming funnily enough. I want my games flat on to stay on the screen where they belong.

But I think a Wii HD would sell like hotcakes.

dommyuk

Aug 1, 2008
Xersues said:
Abedeus said:
30 minutes with 3D gaming and you have a headache. Also, you need a really powerful machine for 3D, if you want to enjoy good graphics.
You mean a PS3? If anyone can do it Sony can. I'm not being a fanboy either. They produced a powerful console, they have the perfect set up to try. More so than any other console.

Why?

They have a very powerful and now affordable console with a good base, they have the biggest disc size, they run using HD components, all PS3s have a hard drive. They also have experience with making TVs and are a hardware manufacturer.

Assuming it's successful in it's infancy, they can sell the idea to other companies, and it can be the new standard. Remember when games all came on a cartridge? Sega and Sony broke that, only Sony was successful. It's now the new standard for consoles (See non-portable).

Now the headache thing? Yeah, that can stop a lot of people, here's to hoping though.
Even PCs that are more powerful than the PS3 struggle with 3D. It 'may' be possible but I have severe doubts.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
"There were no surprises for me," said Iwata, "It was a bigger iPod Touch."
This is the internet and no one has picked up on the irony [http://www.nintendods.com/iwata-asks-chapter.jsp?interviewId=4&volumeId=1&chapterId=1] yet? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Hey for once I totally agree with Nintendo... normally I'm not a big fan of their current stuff (the Wii is okay... but very much not for me)...

Seriously the iPad and 3D gaming are big old MEHs. 3D gaming is the biggest meh, people hate wearing the stupid glasses at the movies, only doing it when they have too to see a good movie, so why do they think it's a good idea to try and make us wear them at home?

And he's dead right on the health issues, I walked out after Avatar knowing that if I didn't get home, take my migraine preventive pills and then lay down in a dark room with a wet cloth over my eyes I was going to end up at the hospital getting an injection, I already knew it was a killer migraine coming on, and anyone who has ever had one knows when one is coming, the pain is something else.

Funny thing is before my Avatar experience I hadn't had or felt a migraine coming on in over 5 god-damn years, only keeping my pills current out of habit rather then need.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
mikecoulter said:
iPad didn't really interest me either. Or 3D gaming funnily enough. I want my games flat on to stay on the screen where they belong.

But I think a Wii HD would sell like hotcakes.
And Nintendo will be interested in that level of sales when there is a 3 year shortage of hotcakes due to frothing consumer demand.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
shMerker said:
"There were no surprises for me," said Iwata, "It was a bigger iPod Touch."
This is the internet and no one has picked up on the irony [http://www.nintendods.com/iwata-asks-chapter.jsp?interviewId=4&volumeId=1&chapterId=1] yet? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
Yeah that's a little ironic, but the ds xl is really just a portable game console that is made bigger so as to be marketed to older people, while the ipad was/is expeceted to recreate some technology (in this case the tablet computer) like apple did with mp3's and the smartphones. Instead they just made a giant, $500 ipod touch.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Xersues said:
Abedeus said:
30 minutes with 3D gaming and you have a headache. Also, you need a really powerful machine for 3D, if you want to enjoy good graphics.
You mean a PS3? If anyone can do it Sony can. I'm not being a fanboy either. They produced a powerful console, they have the perfect set up to try. More so than any other console.

Why?

They have a very powerful and now affordable console with a good base, they have the biggest disc size, they run using HD components, all PS3s have a hard drive. They also have experience with making TVs and are a hardware manufacturer.

Assuming it's successful in it's infancy, they can sell the idea to other companies, and it can be the new standard. Remember when games all came on a cartridge? Sega and Sony broke that, only Sony was successful. It's now the new standard for consoles (See non-portable).

Now the headache thing? Yeah, that can stop a lot of people, here's to hoping though.

The PS3's GPU is worse off than the 360's...

ctrl-alt-postal

Nov 16, 2009
Ummm....you all are aware NVIDIA has a 3D system that can run on all GForce 8800+ cards + win7? And is compatible with most games released over the last 4 years?

As for Iwata being unimpressed, I think he sees what Apple just done there, with the iBookstore being launched.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
dommyuk said:
Xersues said:
Abedeus said:

Why?

Even PCs that are more powerful than the PS3 struggle with 3D. It 'may' be possible but I have severe doubts.
The method that will be used for 3d TV (initially), (and on PC's), is alternating frame stereoscopic 3d.
It's no worse than 3d graphics generally, but you need to render 2 images (one for each eye), so it requires twice the performance you'd need otherwise.
In this case, the 2 images are created by alternating the left and right eye, so essentially it needs double the framerate. (eg. minimum 60fps instead of 30; though most people prefer 60fps or more, so you're looking at 120+ fps for stereoscopic 3d.)

And the reason for the headaches is pretty simple;
We use 3 cues to determine distance:
1. Relative size of similar objects - This is basic perspective, and is why even a 'flat' image, or hand-drawn picture can seem to have depth to it.
2. Stereoscopic effect - This is the one these new 3d systems are adding. (and, for that matter, what the old red/blue anaglyph glasses accomplished.). It's based on the difference in position of the same object as seen from both eyes.
3. Accomodation - This is essentially, a measurement of what 'focal depth' the lens in your eye needs to be at to bring an object at a given distance into focus. - This is still unaccounted for in the current 3d systems we use.

So... Headaches...
Stereoscopic 3d tends to give people headaches because there's a discrepancy between 3, and 2.
The Stereoscopic effect might say an object is 20 meters away...
But the focal distance information you are getting from (3), tells you it is only 5 meters away. (the distance of the screen.)
End result? A splitting headache, as your mind tries (and fails) to work out what the actual distance is, given the contradicting information.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Sir John the Net Knight said:
John Funk said:
Rednog said:
Yea...I'm not going to trust "people don't want to play online games, it isn't the future" Nintendo.
Yea 3D glasses will make us look silly, not like those people who are in public and talk into their DS...
You know what, who cares, Nintendo doesn't listen to technology trends even when they are wrong, they just plug their ears and march to their own beat.
Gee, "being wrong" sure has worked out well for them.
Marching down a golden road, that leads right off a cliff may be all well and good for Nintendo. I'd just rather that they didn't take the whole industry over with them. Or did we all forget that the Wii fad is starting to die out? Anyway, this is all just more pointless blathering by Nintendo execs. No real intelligence or comprehension behind it, just Nintendo spouting their trademark arrogance and ignorance.

I just thought of something, actually...

I've oft compared Nintendo's recent business practices to those of McDonald's, but now I think they're taking a page out of the Steve Jobs playbook. Apple made crappy, underpowered but slickly designed computers for years. But nearly fell by the wayside due to Steve Jobs arrogance and ignorance about the very industry he claimed to be so knowledgeable of. Now he's rearranged his company to make slickly designed "tech-toys" for rich people. But it still doesn't change the fact that he got hammered by Microsoft and Bill Gates.

Nintendo seems to have reacted similarly to years of being dominated by Sony and the Playstation. And now they have their "tech-toy" that they claim makes them an industry leader, but is just a joke to real consumers.
Yeah Nintendo does indeed make crappy, trendy, expensive hardware. No wait they don't. Your analogy fails on numerous levels. And as for "marching off a cliff" they did that already during the 32/64 bit era. And yet they're still here and still doing extremely well.

And speaking as a real consumer, I don't consider their ability to stay competitive a joke. Or do I not count because I don't share your vision for "the way things are"

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I kind of wish Nintendo had named their console the iWii. Then, whenever somebody said "iWii", I could interject with, "You certainly do! In your pants, that is!"

Okay, perhaps not.

But on a related note, concerning some people forming associations between the iPad and feminine hygiene products, I saw a hilarious little comment on YouTube the other day underneath a related 'Hitler Rants' video. I don't remember the exact contents, but this was the gist of it.

"Mac's iPad = macsipad = Maxipad"

Good times. :)

And to include a more related opinion, the reason Nintendo is still afloat, in spite of any hardware-related ineptitude, is that they make really good games. Pokemon, Metriod, Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Starfox, and of course the entire gamut of Mario games (most notably the Mario Kart series) represent some of the best games, and biggest sellers, of all time. I know the only three games I ever owned for my N64 were Mario 64, Zelda: OOT, and the original Smash Bros. and, in spite of the N64 being a POS, these were really good games that I played for a long time.

In the modern day we have stuff like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and several representatives of the previously mentioned franchises, and although most are treading old ground they're still quite good games. Think for a moment; have most of the big standout games for the last three Nintendo consoles been 3rd party titles, or Nintendo titles?

The point is, I would argue that Nintendo's success has been as much due to their game development and publishing chops as it has the success of their hardware. More so perhaps. I mean come on, after Pokemon the company was pretty much set for the next thirty-odd years, so they could probably afford to kick back and start doing weird stuff with their hardware (hyperbole).