Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

<youtube=N1cwg6mUhAg>​
Nintendo's New 3DS features faster speeds, more 3D viewing angles, NFC support, and a new C-button; the first announced title for the handheld is Xenoblade Chronicles.

In a Japanese Nintendo Direct this morning, Nintendo revealed its plans for a new handheld: the New 3DS and New 3DS XL. Nintendo announced the first game for the upgraded handheld, Xenoblade Chronicles, which will not be playable on older 3DS models.

The New 3DS has been revamped for both the smaller and larger sizes. Battery life on the New 3DS is 3.5 to 6 hours, while the battery lasts for 3 to 5 hours on the older model. Battery life for the New 3DS XL (note that in Japan the XL is called the LL) is 3.5 to 7 hours, compared to 3.5 to 6.5 on the original XL. The sizes of the new models are relatively the same as their older models. The New 3DS XL is a little lighter, and the New 3DS is a little heavier and a bit larger.

Nintendo noted the 3D functionality has improved and can be viewed from more angles. Considering how often people do not use the 3D slider due to headaches from the 3DS needing to be in a certain position, the improved 3D could encourage more people to keep the 3D on.

Additional triggers, revamped face buttons, and a C-button (named after the GameCube's yellow C-stick) are a part of the New 3DS. The C-button allows dual analog controls in New 3DS games. An additional circle pad was only available on older 3DS models as the 3DS Circle Pad Pro peripheral.

The New 3DS is faster thanks to a faster CPU. Because of this games made specifically for the New 3DS will not be supported on older models. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBop-Dqp2ik
">Xenoblade Chronicles, which came out on the Wii in 2010 in Japan (2011 in Europe and Australia, 2012 in North America), is one such case. It will make use of the New 3DS's upgraded hardware and will not be playable on the older 3DS.

[gallery=3095]

The upgraded handheld will support microUSB and NFC-reading technology. Nintendo has planned a NFC reader device for the upcoming Amiibo toys for the 3DS.

Like a mobile phone, the New 3DS will be customizable through various face plates. So far, face plates featuring Mario, Peach, and Animal Crossing are planned.

The New 3DS is expected to release in Japan first on October 11. Nintendo confirmed to Eurogamer that it plans to launch the New 3DS in Europe in 2015 [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-29-nintendo-announces-new-3ds-and-3ds-xl-designs-with-extra-buttons], which is likely around t he same time it will launch in North America. Xenoblade Chronicles on the New 3DS will also release next year.

Much of the buzz for today's Nintendo Direct will be over the New 3DS, but Nintendo also included some news for the current 3DS model. A 3DS firmware update in October will have customized themes, including Animal Crossing: New Leaf, a classic Mario theme, and Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds.

Source: Kotaku [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x17E0PCsrns]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Okay, I don't know how to feel about this news. The 3DS doesn't feel that old to me, I'm somewhat loath to be thinking about investing in the next model already. I suppose it'll depend on how many games are exclusive to this one, is it really called the 'New 3DS' though? Please say that's a working name, even by video game standards that sounds awkward and unoriginal.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Wonder if this will need a price cut to move units in the first year of production. Will it be priced above the $200 mark?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
JoJo said:
Okay, I don't know how to feel about this news. The 3DS doesn't feel that old to me, I'm somewhat loath to be thinking about investing in the next model already. I suppose it'll depend on how many games are exclusive to this one, is it really called the 'New 3DS' though? Please say that's a working name, even by video game standards that sounds awkward and unoriginal.
Japanese name? It the one. American? Eh, I could see them dropping the new. Besides, the update to the hardware was for NFC purposes, it still uses 3DS games and not a new cartridge.

Anyone else getting the feeling that this was created for Smash purposes?

EDIT: Even with the Xenoblade Chronicles exclusive, the DSi had DSi only games as well. I'm still not seeing the big deal here (not you specifically, just in general)

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Damn it, Nintendo! My current 3DS was a gift from my girlfriend; how the living hell am I supposed to justify buying this thing?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, considering ive been holding off on a 3DS until MH4U, i might just get that instead.

Though, one thing confuses me.
roseofbattle said:
The C-button allows dual analog controls in New 3DS games.
Has this been elaborated upon at all? Because if i were to take that at face value then it would imply that the C button switched the funcionality of the analog stick. Something you really dont need (or want) in certain games i could name.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I feel sad when I look back at Nintendo and how few new IPs they have produced in 20 years. Don't get me wrong, I love iterative series and sequels, but there so much innovation they have missed because they are focused on reinventing the wheel (albeit a better, shinier wheel). This new DS is a perfect example. I wish companies would just sorta silently slip new hardware into their product and if someone notices just say "Oh yeah, we wanted to make it better." In an era of iphone arrivals being given equal status with the Second Coming, I am feeling tired of all these micro-improvements masquerading as major advancements, especially when it affects backwards compatibility. Systems used to have a life cycle and each new system represented a paradigm shift in technology and general improvement, such as the PS3s Blu-ray player or Xbox Live (as a gaming service). Now they seem like half-steps. Oh yay video capture integration and social media features... that's... nice... I guess for those who actually want it. How about a processor, GPU, and RAM architecture to match a PC... oh.. ok... guess that wasn't a priority.

All that being said, I'm glad for the inclusion of a "C" button. Dual sticks have always been the future of any console, so I'm glad the DS is getting on. What is up with those colours on the buttons though? The X was all right, but a red A button, green Y and yellow B... what madness is this!!! I mean I know it's not an Xbox, but a little uniformity wouldn't hurt. It's not a copyright thing, plenty of generic game pads have the Xbox layout.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
the new C Button doubles as a second thumb stick... are you kidding me? Look at the size of that thing!
take a page from VITA Nintendo, even if the device is unpopular at least it's control scheme is well designed and adequately sized for human hands

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
My 3ds doesn't feel very old, and I honestly didn't get that much life out of it. They seem to be starting strong though, so if they can deliver a great Fire Emblem title I may get one in a few years. I don't have the money for all these new fangled contraptions right now. It's a good thing I'm a trendy shopper. Video Games are an expensive hobby : P

edtit: I hope the release a better U.S. trailer. They just released a 2ds, and I'm not sure kids and parents are going to know what to make of all these variations. It's not even clear that it's a new handheld. Get the marketing team from Microsoft. If they can manage to make Halo look good, they can do anything. I call this marketing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKG1nvV1Wnc

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
JoJo said:
I have felt the 3DS has been "OLD" since the day it came out, its a slow piece of hardware, was really rough on battery life and the 3D just doesn't work with a compounded issue with poor control setup made it outdated the second it came out really.

So to say I have been waiting anxiously for an update. I thought sure the reason for the delay is that they cant decide to drop the 3D functions or improve it so its not so terrible. if you really can view the 3d at the angles they are showing that should help, though I still think the technology needs more work to make it better for the portable envoirment. if you can't play it on a buss or train without having a seizer you need to rethink the technology.

so for me who plays the 3DS all the time and has been frustrated with the controls, 3D and the hardware for the unit. I'm pleased. But hopefully its the big step this unit needs as I hate that whole apple *new* this or whatever like its a rebranding. ignore the old one, get the NEW version. what is the new version? It's whatever WE give you, now give us your money!

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Kuredan said:
All that being said, I'm glad for the inclusion of a "C" button. Dual sticks have always been the future of any console, so I'm glad the DS is getting on. What is up with those colours on the buttons though? The X was all right, but a red A button, green Y and yellow B... what madness is this!!! I mean I know it's not an Xbox, but a little uniformity wouldn't hurt. It's not a copyright thing, plenty of generic game pads have the Xbox layout.
It's the colors of the Japanese Super Famicom.

[img=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Super-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Super-Famicom-Console-Set.jpg[/img]

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
I only JUST got the 3DS and then they announce this? I seriously have this sinking feeling that Pokemon Company was like "lol we've done a new core game and remakes for the generation, better get working on the next console" Just saying there might be a conspiracy. or a vicious cycle.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.

thenightgaunt

Mar 2, 2008
roseofbattle said:
The New 3DS is faster thanks to a faster CPU. Because of this games made specifically for the New 3DS will not be supported on older models. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBop-Dqp2ik
">Xenoblade Chronicles, which came out on the Wii in 2010 in Japan (2011 in Europe and Australia, 2012 in North America), is one such case. It will make use of the New 3DS's upgraded hardware and will not be playable on the older 3DS.
To heck with the stupid c button. This is the bigger issue. The 3DS is less than 4 years old and they're already foisting a new system on us. I don't want to spend another $200+ on a new gameboy when I just did so for the 3DS XL 2 years ago.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
major_chaos said:
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello. Did everyone forget that Nintendo does this...like EVERY handheld has the same cycle? (New system --> Improved System (repeat this step maybe once or twice) --> 1.5 Edition with exclusives attached to keep buying power --> New System) The only one that broke it was the Advanced line, and that was because 4 years was too short to have a 1.5 Advanced.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
thenightgaunt said:
roseofbattle said:
To heck with the stupid c button. This is the bigger issue. The 3DS is less than 4 years old and they're already foisting a new system on us. I don't want to spend another $200+ on a new gameboy when I just did so for the 3DS XL 2 years ago.
Why are so many people thinking this is a new system? It's a graphical update. Like the Gameboy Color and the DSi (though DSi's update was better online).

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I looked at that picture, and my first thoughts were, respectively
"Oh, so they still haven't built in a second stick." and
"Weird that the power switch is a face button... Oh."

That second stick is a little useless baby, but I guess it's better than the attachment you have to use now.

xaszatm said:
major_chaos said:
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello. Did everyone forget that Nintendo does this...like EVERY handheld has the same cycle? (New system --> Improved System (repeat this step maybe once or twice) --> 1.5 Edition with exclusives attached to keep buying power --> New System) The only one that broke it was the Advanced line, and that was because 4 years was too short to have a 1.5 Advanced.
Advanced had the GBA SP- the first clamshell design. It also brought an inbuilt backlight, and rechargable battery.

You're right, this is absolutely the norm for ol' ninty.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Fox12 said:
My 3ds doesn't feel very old, and I honestly didn't get that much life out of it. They seem to be starting strong though, so if they can deliver a great Fire Emblem title I may get one in a few years. I don't have the money for all these new fangled contraptions right now. It's a good thing I'm a trendy shopper. Video Games are an expensive hobby : P

edtit: I hope the release a better U.S. trailer. They just released a 2ds, and I'm not sure kids and parents are going to know what to make of all these variations. It's not even clear that it's a new handheld. Get the marketing team from Microsoft. If they can manage to make Halo look good, they can do anything. I call this marketing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKG1nvV1Wnc
Too true - the variations thing in particular strikes home. Hopefully this is an early name, but even so, it's already a mistake not to be giving this a completely separate-sounding name, or incremental-new sounding name. It's a lesson that the Wii U sales debacle should've taught them.

I was in a best buy, and saw a mom holding up a Wii U game asking if it worked for regular Wii. I was so disappointed in the species.