Nintendo's New Handheld is a Revamped, Redesigned 3DS

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
I think nintendo's a little nuts for this one.
I also wish I had the new 3DS XL rather than my original,
so very very terrible compared to my DS Lite.
very terrible compared to my GBA SP.
terrible compared to my Vita.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
2 Things:

-They are confusing customers even more due to their way of naming things.

-N3DS games won't work on previous versions of the 3DS as far as I've heared.

-Did I mention their way of naming things? 'Cause they really need to work on that.

And here am I, still using a NDS Lite I got gifted last year as a present from my best friend.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
xaszatm said:
major_chaos said:
No, no, nonoonononoooooo. What the fuck Nintendo, there is nothing good about this. You are having a hard enough time getting people to realize the WiiU isn't just a new version of the Wii, how the hell do you expect to sell theses things? And exclusive games? Really? Yea forcing people to upgrade to a slightly better version of the handheld they just bought is going to go over faaaaaantasticaly. Also is the article implying that little "C button" is suppose to replace the circle pad? It better not mean that, because that little shitty nub thing is not even close to good enough to replace a proper stick. Normally I like Nintendo's handhelds even if I loath their consoles, but I'll buy a PS Vita before I buy this giant pile of what the fuck.
Game Boy Color and the DSi say hello. Did everyone forget that Nintendo does this...like EVERY handheld has the same cycle? (New system --> Improved System (repeat this step maybe once or twice) --> 1.5 Edition with exclusives attached to keep buying power --> New System) The only one that broke it was the Advanced line, and that was because 4 years was too short to have a 1.5 Advanced.
Umm... no. GBC was the next step up with backwards compatibility after nearly a decade with the older Game Boy. DSi was an iteration and actually a step back IMCO. There were no DSi games. All DS games were playable on the DS and DS Lite. This is just 8 months after I got the 3DSXL Zelda bundle. And now you tell me that after a mere 3 years of iterating there is a new console. Well that just sucks. They're going to splinter their own collection.

Ironically (compared to your post) this is actually the GBA to the GBC

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
FoolKiller said:
Umm... no. GBC was the next step up with backwards compatibility after nearly a decade with the older Game Boy. DSi was an iteration and actually a step back IMCO. There were no DSi games. All DS games were playable on the DS and DS Lite. This is just 8 months after I got the 3DSXL Zelda bundle. And now you tell me that after a mere 3 years of iterating there is a new console. Well that just sucks. They're going to splinter their own collection.

Ironically (compared to your post) this is actually the GBA to the GBC
Actually there were games that the original Game boy couldn't play and were only available on the Game Boy Color and up such as Pokemon Crystal version and Wario Land 3. The DSi also had games that were incompatible with previous versions of the DS line but out of the five that were announced only four were ever released and only one was of any worth.
A list of GBC and GB compatibility [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_Color_games]
A very short list of DSi only games (excluding DSiWare) [en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi#Software_library]
I honestly wouldn't worry much about it. It'll probably just be a handful of games that are NEW! 3DS only due to absolutely needing the extra RAM and whatever else it has whilst the rest of them will probably have features and bonus junk that you can only get if you play on NEW 3DS! Like they did with the Color Dungeon in Link's Awakening DX or the GBA only Tinkerbat Transformation in Shante.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
*Sigh*

Oh, Nintendo. I want to root for you. I do. But you keep pulling this stupid bullshit, and you have no reason not to know better by now.

Remember how people didn't buy the Wii-U because they didn't know it was a different gaming system than the Wii they already had?

And now you're going to start releasing games on this awfully similar-sounding system that just won't work on the 3DSs your loyal customers have already purchased? That sounds like a great way to generate returned games and hurt feelings.

Also, having released the 2DS and assured customers that 3D was a gimmick and not really necessary to the experience, now you're trying to sell on... better viewing angles for 3D?

Who is the target market for this, N? Who's looking to pay to replace their portable in exchange for slightly longer battery life and awkward, more complicated controls?

I can't help you if you keep asking me to make purchases I can't justify...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
wadark said:
That is exactly what so many in this thread are upset about. That another new format is coming just a few short years after the last, when so many people are only just now, or have only recently made the leap to 3DS, now there's another one, with all new games they won't have access to unless they pony up again. Plus, that name, that godforsaken horrible, confusing name.
Also the fact that this (plus an ACTUAL FUCKING thumbstick instead of a nipple) is what the 3ds should have been and only wasn't because of nintendos thick headedness.
Here's the updates you asked for since the ds, now pony up more cash.
Oh also we're splitting you with yet another format, deal with it.

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
loa said:
wadark said:
That is exactly what so many in this thread are upset about. That another new format is coming just a few short years after the last, when so many people are only just now, or have only recently made the leap to 3DS, now there's another one, with all new games they won't have access to unless they pony up again. Plus, that name, that godforsaken horrible, confusing name.
Also the fact that this (plus an ACTUAL FUCKING thumbstick instead of a nipple) is what the 3ds should have been and only wasn't because of nintendos thick headedness.
Here's the updates you asked for since the ds, now pony up more cash.
Oh also we're splitting you with yet another format, deal with it.
Another thought came to mind, and that is understanding of the two core audiences for the 3DS. Which is to say, core Nintendo fans and younger kids. And while core fans might get over the upgrade and pony up, I know many young kids' parents almost universally refuse to upgrade right away, meaning they've only just recently (or haven't even yet) upgraded to a 3DS from a DSi. And now there's ANOTHER new one for them to not buy until way later. Which I guess isn't a huge deal, but it still doesn't seem like something that's going to fly off the shelves.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Going from "Nintendo DS" to "Nintendo 3DS" to "Nintendo New 3DS" isn't the smartest marketing move, no. Didn't they learn anything from the Wii U marketing fiasco?

They should read a page off Sony's book. PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4. No "PS1 U" or "PS2 New" or "PS3.5D" bullshit. Just numbers, in order. It's not that hard, Nintendo.
3DS2/3DSXL2 isn't that great either though... that initial 3 really screws with the acronym.

I imagine they heavily considered that when they thought of the name. They likely thought that since the New 3DS can't be mistaken for a peripheral of the current 3DS, they could use the well known DS brand without the negative side effects that the Wii U experiences.

The use of the word 'new' all together is an issue though...

The real trouble will begin when less knowledgeable people buy games that are exclusive to the new system under the misguided interpretation that the word 'new' is in reference to the product(as in a new release) as opposed to being for a different platform.

I get the feeling that the issue with the name is one that's arising from translation. Either the name in Japanese is a specific use of their word for new that doesn't create the same confusion, or the name will use the English word new worldwide which didn't seem like a bad idea from the people naming it due to the language gap.

By language gap I mean the way people understand words from another language as what they are presented as and not what they mean. For example "Nintendo" is a company/console name devoid of meaning to us other than to define those exact things. Nintendo roughly translates to, "leave luck to heaven" but we would never confuse that with anything because we don't have the same word association. The word new could very well be a similar situation for them where they don't have that same word association and therefore sounds fine as a product name.

I may be entirely wrong in my ramblings but it seems possible in my mind.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Urghhh... do I trade up? I don't really want to, but Xenoblade is awfully tempting...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I see it this way. One, they probably did this to change the 3D technology to stop needing to pay the guy who sued them and won.

Two, there will be exclusives, but not many. Just enough to incentivise purchases, while still producing 3DS games for all systems, with the New 3DS versions loading a bit faster/better frame-rates.

Three, while it's a bit soon, this was just a typical update.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Sheo_Dagana said:
What the actual fuck, Nintendo? I don't mind them coming out with new versions of their system, but seriously, I was an early adopter of the 3DS when it first came out and even upgraded to the 3DS XL when THAT came out... and now, I imagine there will be a TON of new Nintendo exclusives that will only be playable on this new shit you're pushing. I'm sure Nintendo expects us all to run out and buy this just to keep up. I'd complain about Nintendo making things even more confusing for their customers by calling this thing the "New 3DS", but it's pretty obvious they stopped giving a shit about making names less confusing a long time ago.

More information would be great. If they're planning to make all their future Nintendo exclusives only available on the N3DS, it'd be nice to know.
They won't make all future 3DS games exclusive. Nintendo can be stupid, but they're not gone to cut out a HUGE audience to try and make everyone move to the new New 3DS.

They want cash, so they're still gone to make main titles come out for all models of the 3DS. There'll just be a couple exclusives for the New 3DS to encourage purchases, probably Wii ports.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
People are going to be confused as hell and very angry when they buy a New 3DS game expecting it to work on the 3DS. I for haven't bought on because I don't care for the 3D and since they screwed up on the 2DS' design I didn't buy one of them either. call back Nintendo when you make a 2DS that folds.

Jan 27, 2011
Please, developers, don't focus only on the new 3DS model. I just got my 3Ds last year and I don't want to upgrade ALREADY. I mean, jeez, the 3DS is just fine, it didn't need an upgrade... -_-

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
AJ_Lethal said:
triple post
Quadra post! PEEEENTA POOST.

Ahem.. I apologize.

In all seriousness though I'm starting to get annoyed with Nintendo, they are good people so far in my book but stupid decisions like this every now and them makes me question their sanity on occasion.

As people have also said before me, I'll also wait until the next line of systems and ignore the 3DS Iphone streak.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, now I feel twice as stupid for owning an Ambassador 3DS.
Bruised ego aside, they really needed to do this sooner.

Though my thumb hurts just looking at that absolutely tiny C-stick nub.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
This is typical Nintendo tactics. And notice they are doing while screwing their custom over, forcing everyone to upgrade and so they can paper over their cracks. Who cares so long as they make bank and smile, right?

Upgraded hardware should never stop you from playing previous stuff within reason. As a result, they are pushing to fragment the very 3DS user base they've built up, which could lead to some giving up on 3DS.

Next time, just push totally new fresh hardware, Nintendo and really take Sony's Vita and mobiles on.