No Change Coming to Resident Evil Controls

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
It's not a survival horror game, but it is a survival action game, and being forced to stay still to aim does actually increase tension. Which is the biggest thing people are complaining about. It already offers a more conventional control system (strafing included) anyway.

The thing is, you may have a lot more ammo than any other RE protagonist ever saw in their lives, but you still can't afford to spray bullets willy-nilly. The aiming system forces you to stop, breath, pick your targets, and make the most of your shots. The Wii version of RE4 was less exciting than the GC and PS2 versions for that reason. It took tense scenes of being surrounded by zombies and trying to stay alive, and turned them into a shooting gallery, with a ridiculous neon reticle allowing you to throw bullets at someone a mile away and have every shot hit.

Why there's so much furore surrounding the RE5 controls, when they're no different to the RE4 ones - which was one of the most critically acclaimed games in 2005, so didn't exactly fall under the radar - I'll never know.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
Takeuchi is a douche. He caved when conservatives complained about RE5 being racist and added white people and Asians "for creative effect", and now he's not listening to fan suggestions and instead, making up lame excuses. I'll still buy the game, but I shall play it with a certain sense of resentment.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
i dont think it would detract from the experience any if your character could move whilst shooting. same controls but when you hold the draw weapon button you can move, maybe slower than normal, but still move. thinking of an example.. fallout 3 was like this.

Blank__

Oct 9, 2008
nilcypher said:
Personally, I think Mr Takeuchi has confused 'tension' with 'frustration'.
I disagree. I've only played through RE4 on the GCN, but I definitely felt my heart pounding when those slow zombies would lumber up to me and I'm frantically trying to get the laser sight to point at their heads. It took me a long time to become proficient, but I only felt frustrated in maybe one or two spots. Certainly few enough I can't even remember being frustrated at any certain point. By the end of the game, I was more than proficient enough at smashing heads and, as a result, a lot more confident. That changes the game in many ways -- I run through areas faster; no longer enter new areas cautiously, steeling myself for something that might jump at me; use less ammo; enjoy the foolish zombies and their silly attempts at murdering Leon; and utter domination of the final boss. I beat him and thought he wasn't the final boss. That easy. Weird, weird stuff.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Wouldukindly said:
Aesthetical Quietus said:
RE controls suck.
Don't even begin to get me started on the PC controls for RE.
They need to change them desperatly.
You mean the wonderful mouse-less ones for Resident Evil 4?
Yeah you could mod it, but the fact that you HAD to is just plain ludicrous.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
shadow skill said:
Echolocating said:
I felt that RE4's control scheme was needlessly restrictive and hardly the reason for it's success. He's right that the limiting controls provide a sense of tension, but it's definitely the lazy man's way of accomplishing that task.

Here's my bid for RE6 that makes a lot more sense for the existing control scheme. You're confined to a wheelchair. A perfectly logical reason for limited mobility and a hell of a lot more interesting, if you ask me.

The instances of trying not to be a liability to the other survivors and potentially having to drag yourself around without the wheelchair would enhance the tension even more.
I actually think that would be awesome, but honestly anyone who cannot run is going to die during a zombie apocalypse. I would love to see someone try a game where the player avatar posses such an infirmity though.
And apparently running isn't enough sometimes, but hear me out on this one... two words: wheelchair upgrades. Oh yeah, baby! ;-) But seriously, I remember watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (not that crappy remake) and really feeling uneasy when that whiny guy in the wheelchair started wandering around the house.

Which leads me to expanding that thought in other directions. Why do you always start the game off in perfect health? Why not start the game off with a crash that causes a severe limp and make the game about surviving the circumstances resulting from your injuries as much as the zombies. Woah... that's too deep for shallow video games. Nevermind. Let's stick to rocket launchers. My bad.

SuperPartyRobot

Jan 21, 2009
I like how Japanese developers say they're looking to the west and other areas of the world for innovations in game design. I like how Capcom is one of the major companies voicing this.

So why is it that they're not applying what they believe???

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
Aesthetical Quietus said:
RE controls suck.
Don't even begin to get me started on the PC controls for RE.
They need to change them desperatly.
You mean the wonderful mouse-less ones for Resident Evil 4?
You read my mind.
As someone else stated, you could always mod it to make it so you could use your mouse, but that is the developers job, not ours.