No "Cheap Cash-In" Dead Space Movie for EA

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No "Cheap Cash-In" Dead Space Movie for EA

Dead Space 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Xbox-360/dp/B00309U0M6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296496691&sr=8-1] Art Director Ian Milham says there's been "a lot of discussion" about making a live-action movie based on the game but EA won't jump into anything unless its sure the job will be done right.

There are two animated films based on the Dead Space franchise, Alien [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Downfall-Bruce-Boxleitner/dp/B0018TAFQ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296496714&sr=8-1]-esque horror-fest. So what's the holdup?

"We would love to have a live action film and we've had a lot of discussion. But one of the reasons Dead Space still exists and is popular is because we've made sure to do everything right," Milham told the BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/12270536]. "So we're doing the same with the film, not just a cheap cash-in but to do something really worthwhile, so we'll see."

Milham also said that the still-emerging medium of videogames offers greater possibilities than film. "Movies are fine, but in games we're still showing people things," he added. "We're still pursuing opportunities that have never been done before."

PR spin or not, it's a very smart approach to take. Game-based movies have a reputation for being bad news and no franchise is helped by a high-profile film project that turns out to be EA [http://www.amazon.com/Max-Payne-Mark-Wahlberg/dp/B001MTYRKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296496841&sr=8-4] really does have the wisdom not to do it at all.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's the funny thing...

You can't tell if the job will be done right until it's done. Big-name movies and games are hefty investments, and no one goes in with the intention to make a bad game.

Hence the word "disappointment".

GrammarLad

Oct 4, 2010
Dead Space isn't scary.
Modern "Horror" movies aren't scary.

Both are just interludes of tension and then something gory jumping at you.

Match made in heaven.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
Kasurami said:
But there was already a Dead Space movie! It was directed by Paul W.S Anderson and starred Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne. Does nobody remember this?
I dont think Event Horizon is quite Dead Space. But it was a good space horror movie though.

Chewiemuse

Jan 22, 2011
Kasurami said:
But there was already a Dead Space movie! It was directed by Paul W.S Anderson and starred Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne. Does nobody remember this?
Yes but that has nothing to do with the game...the plot line isn't even the same

Anyways...I think if they get a director who loves the game and is a good directer...say the guy who did district 9 and all the writers rat worked on the game to write the script... and get the devs and team that worked on dead space all together...I think they could pull it off...u mean they have already done an amazing jon with the two animated films ..I think they should move on to a live action...and instead of chris judge just voicing I think he should be in the live action...he's an amazing actor : D

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's the funny thing...

You can't tell if the job will be done right until it's done. Big-name movies and games are hefty investments, and no one goes in with the intention to make a bad game.

Hence the word "disappointment".
First: Usually there's warning signs in the early stages of any production. Bad casting can be spotted from the get-go; bad storytelling can be caught in the script well before any production happens, and there's all the more places to look for signs when you have a license. Did they COMPLETELY change the premise, taking the title of the license in name only, as with all of Uwe Boll's movies and the upcoming Uncharted film? Just a starting point for all the questions you can ask about the characters, the backstory, the atmosphere, and other signature characteristics of a work of entertainment, but you don't need to completely manufacture the product to see where the weaknesses crop up.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I haven't actually played the game, but from what I've seen and heard of it, a movie version, at best, is going to be like the Prince of Persia film: a stylish knock-off of its genre predecessors like Aliens and others of the space/horror genre.

I'm sure they'll do the best they can, but I can't anything truly amazing coming out of it.

Ambient

Nov 19, 2009
...I believe I read Uwe Boll was going to make the movie? Was that just a horrible joke?
Personally,I liked Downfall.

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
Paid for with the money from the gimped PC version of Dead Space 2!

Proudly brought to you by EA/Visceral

Yours Sincerly

Your most hated platform

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"But one of the reasons Dead Space still exists and is popular is because we've made sure to do everything right,"

That's a pretty bold statement.

And honestly, if this was made into a movie it would automatically be a cash-in. Dead Space isn't good because it presents a unique story, setting or characters, it's because it's a pretty good video game where you shoot things.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Scytail said:
Kasurami said:
I dont think Event Horizon is quite Dead Space. But it was a good space horror movie though.
On the contrary, they couldn't do worse than Event Horizon. Movie with a great premise and good actors, but horrible plot.

Pandormum was o-k. Nothing real surprising or unexpected in it, but it was more fun than EH.

They really need to get past the "crew going mad" for the umpteenth time. In Event Horizon the untested hyperdrive supposedly shunted them through a layer of hell (or so it was implied). Go where the Doom movie feared to go, and bring out the Sci Fi and demonic hordes!

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Scytail said:
It borrows the same psychological themes/psychological horror tension. I'd say they're quite similar, though still containing different enough executions to be different.

Ctrl Awesome

Feb 1, 2011
Probs be a long time til it does become a film because the bad rep games into films has but hey I'll still watch it and the prince of persia film was terrible unless your teenager girl coz whats his face was playing the prince -_-

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
I'm sick films based on games. The second most recent Resident Evil was good, but out weighs all the crap. Its just money spinning ideas, same thing with Marvel n' D.C. And whats so good about Dead Space? Its an alright FPS gameplay wise, but the only clever thing story based is Issaac Clarks name.