No convictions for ex-officers accused of beating colleague at St. Louis protest

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
No convictions were returned for three white St. Louis police officers accused of beating a Black undercover colleague so severely during a protest over another officer’s acquittal that he had to undergo multiple surgeries.

A jury on Monday acquitted Officer Steven Korte of charges of deprivation of rights under color of law and of lying to the FBI in connection to the attack on Officer Luther Hall. It happened when Hall was mistaken for a protester during demonstrations that erupted after former police officer Jason Stockley, who is white, was found not guilty in the 2011 death of a Anthony Lamar Smith, who was Black.

Hall, who is still with the department, described the 2017 attack to jurors as a “free-for-all.”

Former officer Christopher Myers also was acquitted Monday of a deprivation of rights count, but the jury could not reach a verdict on a charge of destruction of evidence against Myers for allegedly smashing Hall’s cellphone. The jury also deadlocked on the deprivation of rights charge against former officer Dustin Boone, leading the judge to declare a mistrial on counts where the jury could not agree.

Defense lawyers said that police department chaos and dysfunction meant that officers and supervisors on the street didn’t know undercover officers were working that night. Defense lawyers also challenged Hall’s ability to identify his attackers.

The verdicts reignited criticisms that an all-white jury was picked to decide the case.

“If an undercover cop can’t get justice, how will the rest of us who have been maced, shot, beaten, and brutalized ever get justice?” tweeted Cori Bush, a Black congresswoman who represents the Missouri district that includes St. Louis.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Its St. Louis. Duh. Ever since the Ferguson riots the police lost all legitimacy and just turned into an occupying army, and before that they were just all roleplaying the Punisher.
Seriously drive by city hall, or the courthouses, or any of the police stations, they still, 8 years later, have fully armed and equipped SWAT officers as guards. Going into a government building is like walking into a military base. They do mass stops on Olive Blvd Friday nights, stopping every car both ways of a 4 lane major road, breathalyzing, dog sniffers, running plates, etc, looking for people sure, but mostly since the city of Creve Couer is becoming more African American and Olive is its main road, they just want to fuck with black people. Go down to the Loop on the Weekends, you'll see big police vans marked Nuisance Abatement Program, with patrol choppers flying around with spotlights looking to harass groups of, usually black, people off the streets. Go to the Galaxy, or West Olive, or Des Peres movie theaters, "off duty" officers in full uniform are standing, armed, at the curb, asking people what movie they're going to, how many are in there group, etc...

I had my car broken into a few years ago, windows shattered, stuff stolen, etc, in broad daylight while parked in public parking. Didn't call the police. In St. Louis never call the police unless you need someone killed, including yourself, and I say that as a white guy. Its not even an unspoken rule, there are billboards and signs along north 270 and 70 that flat tell you to never trust or involve the police.

TL/DR In 2014 everyone in St. Louis, including the police, all agreed the police are just an occupying army and we've been living as if under occupation since.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I hate st louis with a passion difficult to measure with modern instruments. Of the last 6 times Ive had to drive through St Louis I've gotten either speeding tickets, reckless driving, random other claims 6 times. They bring out the dogs every single time, trying to get me for drugs. It's always on that stretch right next to the airport where the highway is crumbling to pieces. I've never had a problem in any other city/state. I'd avoid that whole fing state if I could.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I hate st louis with a passion difficult to measure with modern instruments. Of the last 6 times Ive had to drive through St Louis I've gotten either speeding tickets, reckless driving, random other claims 6 times. They bring out the dogs every single time, trying to get me for drugs. It's always on that stretch right next to the airport where the highway is crumbling to pieces. I've never had a problem in any other city/state. I'd avoid that whole fing state if I could.
Lambert? That makes the highway 70, which is a total shit show lawless hellscape run by a marauding band of bandits known as the Highway Patrol. Avoid it like the plague, and I used to work in the airport and took a hour commute through the backroads rather than the 20mins of Highway 70 and risk those fuckers. They really are infamous of their "Civil Forfeiture". Just taking shit from you. Got $100 cash? Yoink. Got a nice watch? There's now. That car better be old with tons of miles, or its suspicious and they may just have to take it in.
Oh and that whole area is like 2 miles from Ferguson where the police view the population as animals that need to be put down. Their words mind you, not mine.

Reactions: Agema and Piscian

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lambert? That makes the highway 70, which is a total shit show lawless hellscape run by a marauding band of bandits known as the Highway Patrol. Avoid it like the plague, and I used to work in the airport and took a hour commute through the backroads rather than the 20mins of Highway 70 and risk those fuckers. They really are infamous of their "Civil Forfeiture". Just taking shit from you. Got $100 cash? Yoink. Got a nice watch? There's now. That car better be old with tons of miles, or its suspicious and they may just have to take it in.
Oh and that whole area is like 2 miles from Ferguson where the police view the population as animals that need to be put down. Their words mind you, not mine.
I find it increasingly disturbing that the people who are in law enforcement today, looked at that tv show The Shield, and saw a guidebook, instead of a warning.

Reactions: SilentPony

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I find it increasingly disturbing that the people who are in law enforcement today, looked at that tv show The Shield, and saw a guidebook, instead of a warning.
Oh yeah, the Missouri Highway patrol, especially in the STL metropolitan area, are a State sponsored shakedown racket. Its not even a protection racket, they don't protect shit, its just "hey that looks nice, I'll be taking that."
My uncle was on his way home few years back, got pulled over for speeding, highway patrol let him off with a warning, but when they saw he had an unopened, still in its box, bottle of Glenlivet they decided even though he was free to go, they suspected the bottle may have been on its way to a minor's possession, so they confiscated the bottle. And just straight up everyone knew what was going on, they were just taking his booze for themselves.
Happens all the time in this all-but failed city.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I read a long article on civil forfeiture a few years back. It's as corrupt as it gets.

Detailed some town where the police amused themselves by stopping people and confiscating their stuff pretty much at whim. Their lock-up was piled high with stuff pilfered from locals and passers-through - of which there were many of the latter, it being on one of the big cross-country highways.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I read a long article on civil forfeiture a few years back. It's as corrupt as it gets.

Detailed some town where the police amused themselves by stopping people and confiscating their stuff pretty much at whim. Their lock-up was piled high with stuff pilfered from locals and passers-through - of which there were many of the latter, it being on one of the big cross-country highways.
John Oliver did a show on Civil Forfeiture, and how the cops admit its their own private slush fund, they use the cash to buy ice cream machines, and I think there was even a slushi machine for the break room, items of value like jewelry get given out as gifts and prizes, cars are sold in closed auctions to the police officers themselves at way under market value, and there is no oversight or laws, and because the items in question are not citizens, they have no rights, and aren't due a court date. So they can suspect a car of being a drug car, take it into custody, never have to formally arrest the car, and it never gets a court date to determine if its a drug car, and the police just get to keep it.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
For those wondering, this is what the St. Louis police are like:

After the Ferguson riots we established civilian oversight boards to oversee police shootings and review processes. 6 years and 50+ shootings later, the police have openly refused to hand over any evidence or findings of any kind to the review board. They're just an occupying army.