sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
james.sponge said:
sneakypenguin said:
HD textures take up a ton of space. Hence the 40gb.

Max payne was 15 on xbawks and my install is now over 30 gb on pc so a 13 to 40 (doubt its actually 40) doesn't seem too far off the mark.
I find it hard to believe Acti/Blizz would devote any resources to developing hi-res texture pack exclusively for pc - those guys are real capitalists they invest in gaming to earn money not to please their fans ;).

The game isn't even that impressive in the visual department to begin with. Companies tend to use the best available version in their promotional materials and in CoD:G case those looked pretty mediocre.
suposedly even higher than ps4xbone http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/call_of_duty_ghosts/news/call_of_duty_ghosts_xbox_one_and_ps4_textures_are_inferior_to_pc_version.html

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Strazdas said:
J Tyran said:
Strazdas said:
all this does its punish legal costumers that gt to download it via steam.
I can appreciate that for a whole multitude of reasons why people that want to play the PC version might not have access to either the bandwidth to download 40GB or a connection speed to download it in a reasonable amount of time, thing is if its that much of a problem (like I said I can appreciate that it can be) why wouldn't they just get the retail copy? It has Steamworks anyway and there are always decent online stores around like Amazon and Greenman Gaming (or regional equivalent) if their local stores are crap for PC titles, which might even be a bit cheaper in some cases. The standard edition of Call of Duty: Ghosts costs £39.99 to pre-order on Steam, Amazon UK have it for £34.99 with free shipping for example. A fiver after all is a fiver, I would get it from Amazon instead of Steam myself if I wasn't getting the PS4 version instead.
Because steam is the only option?
im not sure how would you like to drive for at least a couple hours to another country to find a physical copy of the game, that is, if you actually can find it. While granted COD is big and loud enough that there would probably be a copy in my city, thats not true for most games.
As far as greenman gaming eqivalents - none exist here. we have no dedicated stores. best we get is a small section near movies in supermarkets and some of the electronic appliance have a few (as in, less than 20) games around.
As far as amazon goes, id like to see them provide free shipping to anoter country. Actually i checked, the free delivery is only within UK, or at least the page says so.
Also a fiver is not really a fiver. This is concerning 5 British pounds. that is over 20 LTL. almost enough to keep me fed for a week. You have to realized, that new games cost a third of your monthly wage here, so everything counts.

Now i am lucky to live in country with fastest internet in the world and could download that in less than 3 hours, however the neighboaring countries are not so lucky. for them a increased size "against pirates" would only mean they got screwed out of a game.
Well if the savings are that high you should definitely consider getting them online, shipping games doesn't cost much usually. I have bought a fair few North American PS3 games because they are cheaper and the shipping still did exceed the savings, DVD cases come under post rather than parcel just about everywhere.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Everyone's gawking at that download size for the PC version (even though that one post about textures and whatnot explained the size), and I'm just here, like...

"Remember when preorders just gave us neat weapons for single-player or skins for Multiplayer, and didn't outright deny us actual maps?"

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
J Tyran said:
Strazdas said:
J Tyran said:
Strazdas said:
all this does its punish legal costumers that gt to download it via steam.
I can appreciate that for a whole multitude of reasons why people that want to play the PC version might not have access to either the bandwidth to download 40GB or a connection speed to download it in a reasonable amount of time, thing is if its that much of a problem (like I said I can appreciate that it can be) why wouldn't they just get the retail copy? It has Steamworks anyway and there are always decent online stores around like Amazon and Greenman Gaming (or regional equivalent) if their local stores are crap for PC titles, which might even be a bit cheaper in some cases. The standard edition of Call of Duty: Ghosts costs £39.99 to pre-order on Steam, Amazon UK have it for £34.99 with free shipping for example. A fiver after all is a fiver, I would get it from Amazon instead of Steam myself if I wasn't getting the PS4 version instead.
Because steam is the only option?
im not sure how would you like to drive for at least a couple hours to another country to find a physical copy of the game, that is, if you actually can find it. While granted COD is big and loud enough that there would probably be a copy in my city, thats not true for most games.
As far as greenman gaming eqivalents - none exist here. we have no dedicated stores. best we get is a small section near movies in supermarkets and some of the electronic appliance have a few (as in, less than 20) games around.
As far as amazon goes, id like to see them provide free shipping to anoter country. Actually i checked, the free delivery is only within UK, or at least the page says so.
Also a fiver is not really a fiver. This is concerning 5 British pounds. that is over 20 LTL. almost enough to keep me fed for a week. You have to realized, that new games cost a third of your monthly wage here, so everything counts.

Now i am lucky to live in country with fastest internet in the world and could download that in less than 3 hours, however the neighboaring countries are not so lucky. for them a increased size "against pirates" would only mean they got screwed out of a game.
Well if the savings are that high you should definitely consider getting them online, shipping games doesn't cost much usually. I have bought a fair few North American PS3 games because they are cheaper and the shipping still did exceed the savings, DVD cases come under post rather than parcel just about everywhere.
And i do buy them online (then crack their DRM, which is legal if you legally obtained your copy of the game), but what about the poor folks that have to download this on 30kb/s?

I mean the original point was that they increase filesize to deter pirates. what they actually deter is paying costumers.