Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Happyninja42 said:
Imp Emissary said:
Yeah, this was the kind of vibe I got from the trailers. Was kind of hoping they wouldn't make that mistake, but at least it was technically sound, I guess. :/

It's a real shame because it's not like this kind of thing can't be done without making all the locals into a substitute for a zombie hoard.

Heck there's actually a zombie movie that has the zombies revolt against a survivor city that actually manages to make you have sympathy for said zombies. So it shouldn't be too hard to do so with living people.
I know right?! That movie was amazing, if only for the fact that it made me, ME, empathize with the undead. That opening scene of the village of zombies being attacked by the "barbarian horde" (ie: the survivors), made me actually feel bad for them. So yeah, I was actually rooting for the zombies in that movie. And, this might not seem like much, but I don't like the undead. I've always hated them in stories. Any kind of undead thing just annoys and bothers me. I hate zombies, I fucking despise vampires, especially our pop culture sexification of them. Basically, any time someone tries to make them into some kind of sympathetic hero character, I have zero interest.

Now using them as antagonists, no problem. I LOVE them as badguys, they make great ones. Hell one of my favorite villains is the Dracula in Van Helsing. He was so gloriously chewing every scene he was in. It was great!

But that Land of the Living Dead movie, I was totally rooting for the zombies. Which says something about the directors ability, that he made ME of all people, feel bad for walking corpses! xD

Oh, yeah, No Escape, sounds like a bad movie, glad I had no interest in seeing it.
That's the name! :D
Thanks. I couldn't remember what it was called, and searching for it gave me just a bunch of other zombie movies with similar words in the title.

I'm not that fond of undead myself, or horror movies for that matter. However, there are a few I like. Ones that are more about psychological horror instead of lots of gore tossed at the camera, (one recent example would be "The Babadook"), or ones where you get to cheer on the monsters (at least a little bit).

By that I mean cheer them on because the story shows them as sympathetic, not because you don't care about the "main characters" and just want them all to die.
That's why I like "The Dark Man" so much.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Gorrath said:
It was, thank you. I know that the 'r' word is a provocative one, and will always provoke a two-sided reaction. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line (if at all) between 'racist' and 'racially insensitive'.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that this is a bad movie that didn't try hard enough at anything it set out to achieve, beyond perhaps the cinematography.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
People seem to be focusing a lot on the "racist" aspect of the review, like that's all he said about it.
He said it was a very competently put together, very tense thriller, there's just a lot about it that's kinda gross.
And, honestly, that's the vibe I got from the trailers.

Like, just from the advertisements, they framed this (rather conspicuously) unnamed asian country in the same way that Friday The 13th would frame Camp Crystal Lake.
And the zombie comparisons are apt, because shots of the hordes of scary foreigners descending on our scared white heroes are staged almost exactly like the countless zombie horde shots we've seen time and again.

Now, I don't think any of this was intentional, but it doesn't make it any less unfortunate.
And the review didn't seem to indicate that the film was malicious or hateful, just really tone deaf. Which, again, yeah... really kinda seemed to be.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Gorrath said:
It was, thank you. I know that the 'r' word is a provocative one, and will always provoke a two-sided reaction. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line (if at all) between 'racist' and 'racially insensitive'.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that this is a bad movie that didn't try hard enough at anything it set out to achieve, beyond perhaps the cinematography.
Oh no doubt about that. From reading the review, I'd quite agree this movie is total shite. Good tense action sequences do not a good movie make. It's all the worse really that such good sequences are wasted on such an appallingly tone deaf movie that's not trying hard enough at not being racist. I'm sure it's probably not intentional but I even got that vibe from the trailers. Watching them made me roll my eyes at first and then make a face that probably resembled the look one might get after being presented with a bowl full of dog droppings and rotten eggs.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I love how the Facebook comments are somehow even MORE hostile than usual.

Hell, even THESE comments. Wow.

You'd think that people didn't understand that some people are bothered by things that don't bother you. Hell, maybe you people don't. That would explain why Gamergate is still a thing.

(For the record, I'd be totally bothered. Having little to no explanation why the Asians are rebelling would definitely trigger every BS alarm I have, because I've actually been down there, in the slums and well out of the way of the tour zones, and a more generally white-friendly and pleasant race is not to be found.)

KungFuJazzHands said:
Jesus, the filmmakers could have made the mobs all white, and people would have complained that there was no representation of other skin colors.

In short, some peeps gotta complain about anything or they're not happy.
Including people who get upset at people who get upset, no doubt.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I haven't seen the film, so I can't really know for certain how apt the description is. But I have to make two observations.

1. If someone(s) tried to kill my wife and/or child, I doubt I would feel anything close to trauma about killing them until well after the adrenaline wore off.

2. Racism is, indeed, gross. But unless the film's protagonists are personally responsible for the suffering that leads to the coup, implying that they even slightly deserve to be brutally murdered by a mob is also pretty gross.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Gorrath said:
Which is quite an unfortunate and, frankly, stupid decision. If they thought portraying ISIS as bad guys was racist, they'd be wrong; ISIS really are "bad" people. This sounds far more racist than if you used an actual group who does actual horrible things to the Americans (and anyone not on their side.)
How do you make someone look ISIS? they look like just normal poor middle eastern citizens.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
Gorrath said:
Which is quite an unfortunate and, frankly, stupid decision. If they thought portraying ISIS as bad guys was racist, they'd be wrong; ISIS really are "bad" people. This sounds far more racist than if you used an actual group who does actual horrible things to the Americans (and anyone not on their side.)
How do you make someone look ISIS? they look like just normal poor middle eastern citizens.
The same way you make someone look Nazi? Or Hydra, if you're doing a stand-in. Iconography, quite simply and you need not merely rely on looks; dialogue can convey group membership as well.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Gorrath said:
I love the discussion you are having. I think the biggest problem and the point you missing about the biggest problem of the movie can be summarized pretty much as....

......They just didn't care.

they could've built the motivation of the rebels but...

they could've shown the lives of Native people suffering in those countries but...

they could've built a realistic depiction and back story of the country but...

What they cared about was making a dumb suspense movie for the average American bloke, with well-known actors(who a lot times are white) and shit it for mass appeal. Because doing what you guys or I mentioned above would take too much damn work for Hollywood blockbuster. I don't think they meant to be racist but they so did not give a shit that they accidentally made something uncomfortable.

so in short...

[HEADING=1]They just didn't care.[/HEADING]

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
tf2godz said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Gorrath said:
I love the discussion you are having. I think the biggest problem and the point you missing about the biggest problem of the movie can be summarized pretty much as....

they could've built the motivation of the rebels but...

they could've shown the lives of Native people suffering in those countries but...

they could've built a realistic depiction and back story of the country but...

What they cared about was making a dumb suspense movie for the average American bloke, with well-known actors(who a lot times are white) and shit it for mass appeal. Because doing what you guys or I mentioned above would take too much damn work for Hollywood blockbuster. I don't think they meant to be racist but they so did not give a shit that they accidentally made something uncomfortable.

so in short...

[HEADING=1]They just didn't care.[/HEADING]
Well sure, that much is self-evident. What's interesting is why they didn't care. We can speculate on how this movie could have been made better, more interesting and in doing so been less tone deaf but none of that is commentary on why the movie is what it is, what decisions led up to its shitty narrative or why the people working the movie didn't care about the message the narrative was creating, intentional or not.

If we want to wade into that, I'm game! I'd suggest the main culprit being marketing, in that the execs probably felt that if you want to sell an American action movie to Americans, you need to tone down the political aspects, focus on the action/suspense and, of course, make the main characters white. None of that suggests that any racism read from the narrative is intentional or that the execs didn't care about the movie appearing racist, it merely suggests that the considerations I mentioned naturally led to the movie becoming what it became.

There are good reasons to make those decisions as well. Action/thriller movies are not often made better by spending time on superfluous exposition; it's often enough to say, "Here's the obvious good guy/family, here's the dangerous thing they are running from, boom!" A bunch of exposition on how and why this or that real or fictional American company screwed over this or that real or fictional Asian country isn't going to help the audience get onto the edge of their seat. But out with this exposition goes the framing for the antagonists that's needed to keep it from coming off as, "Attack of the mindless Asian horde!"

Even the Deus Ex Machina of the film serves exactly this purpose, of keeping things moving even if it makes no sense and is bereft of depth. It makes sense in an action/thriller to keep things moving but the execution of the Deus Ex Machina comes off as just as shallow and bone-headed from a creative standpoint as the unintentional mindless Asian horde antagonist.

So while I do think you're right, that they didn't care, the reasons they didn't care are certainly worth examining and understanding. They didn't care about exposition, possibly for good reason. They didn't care about the Deus Ex machina making sense, probably for good reason. But while they may have had good reasons for not caring about those things, the gaping holes left behind ruin the movie.

That's my rambling stream of thought on that anyway,

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Hmm i gotta admit judging by the trailer posted here I'm not really feeling the whole racist vibe. I'm half tempted to see it if only to see if it really is as racist as everyone one around the internet is claiming, or if its just another case of Resident Evil 5 "racism".

Also, one interesting detail, according to Wikipedia in one of the trailers they show the Khmer Rouge symbol flipped upside down, implying this could be taking place in Cambodia. Though some people claim its Thailand do to the way the written language appears.

Edit: Okay chances are it is Cambodia since the unnamed country supposedly borders Vietnam, though I guess it could be Laos as far as geography is concerned.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Michael Prymula said:
I think anyone saying this film is "racist" is incredibly ignorant, that article was absolutely terrible, (as was the Cracked article) I saw the film and enjoyed the hell out of it and never once got a "racist" vibe from it, I think people really are grossly overreacting.

None of the critics that reviewed this said a single thing about it being "racist", this review pretty much echoes my thoughts on the film:
http://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/no-escape

Honestly I think people just look way too hard for racism in every single thing.
I don't know what critics you are reading, but a quick glance at Rotten Tomatoes seems to indicate a lot of critics are slamming it for being racist and xenophobic.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Here's an idea, film makers: Have the protagonists in your film in a foreign location BE FROM THERE.
It would make it so much more interesting rather than milktoast pieces of white bread from America.
SEE: Any movie about the Old Testament with white people.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Michael Prymula said:
Gorrath said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Gorrath said:

Oh no doubt about that. From reading the review, I'd quite agree this movie is total shite. Good tense action sequences do not a good movie make. It's all the worse really that such good sequences are wasted on such an appallingly tone deaf movie that's not trying hard enough at not being racist. I'm sure it's probably not intentional but I even got that vibe from the trailers. Watching them made me roll my eyes at first and then make a face that probably resembled the look one might get after being presented with a bowl full of dog droppings and rotten eggs.
Yes good action scenes DO make a good movie, and no it is not "tone deaf" or "racist" in the least. I'd recommend you actually SEE the damn film BEFORE passing judgement on it, trailers can often be very misleading, and I can tell you the trailers don't really tell you the whole story.
How about I read some reviews on the movie, before I spend money going to see it? The point of a review is to help me make an informed decision, along with trailers.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
Ok guys, question time:

Why didn't Black Hawk Down get flamed like this movie is getting? Is it purely because it came out when political correctness was just starting to appear, or did it portray the blight of the horde of foreigners better than No Escape did?

From what I remember of Black Hawk Down, it did have some moments of humanization, but that made up 2% of them movie at the most; 80% was just American soldiers mowing down hordes of Somalis, which was the point of the movie, but that obviously doesn't justify anything.