No extra tombs to raid in Tomb Raider, says Crystal Dynamics.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
So, news has been circling the various gaming-related websites since this morning that the newest entry in the Tomb Raider franchise won't be getting any single-player DLC, though it will be getting multi-player DLC.

"Currently there are no plans regarding single-player DLC," said [director Noah] Hughes when first asked about upcoming DLC. "Now that Lara is more experienced, we are excited to take her on new adventures that challenge her new strength and confidence. It is important that even as Lara grows as a character, so do the challenges she must face."

"There are currently no plans in place for any single-player expansions." [Global brand director Karl] Stewart later followed up. "All of our DLC is based around the multiplayer experience for now."
Personally, I don't mind this announcement. Having just finished the game, I'm not really sure where they could add in more to the single-player anyway, aside from contriving some extra dungeon puzzles and giving them entrances in places that had otherwise been blocked off. Maybe challenge maps like the Batman: Arkham games, but that's not really interesting enough to keep me playing, in my opinion. If they were going to make a full-blown expansion with a new story, I feel like they might as well just devote the resources to making an actual sequel than New Tomb Raider 1.5 (insert snarky comments here about how the sequel will probably be New Tomb Raider 1.5 anyway).

Your thoughts, Escapambilidandoes?

Sources: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/20/tomb-raider-single-player-dlc-isnt-in-crystal-dynamics-current/], Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/no-plans-for-single-player-tomb-raider-dlc-249158.phtml].

EDIT: Derped the developer name, I was thinking of another Square Enix published game.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
I'm cool with it. The game felt complete as it was. No need for extra story DLC that might be just fluff, though I agree that some downloadable tombs would be neat. Maybe something like Dunwall City Trials?

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
It's a bit weird because certain inaccessible parts of each area in the game were blatantly put there to allow for downloadable tombs. I'm guessing the metrics show a lack of interest from the majority of players who, presumably, didn't bother raiding the handful of tombs that the game already has.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Epic Fail 1977 said:
It's a bit weird because certain inaccessible parts of each area in the game were blatantly put there to allow for downloadable tombs. I'm guessing the metrics show a lack of interest from the majority of players who, presumably, didn't bother raiding the handful of tombs that the game already has.
Why would you not bother? I thought everyone was complaining that there weren't enough tombs to raid.

OP: This is good. Half the time, DLC is essentially just a marketing ploy to get people to buy stuff that should have been in the game in the first place anyway (barring full-on expansion packs, of course). As much as I won't enjoy the wait, it makes much more sense to just leave the extra raiding for the sequel in a couple of years time.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
ScoopMeister said:
Epic Fail 1977 said:
Why would you not bother? I thought everyone was complaining that there weren't enough tombs to raid.
By "everyone" you presumably mean the extremely tiny percentage of gamers who are obsessed enough to talk about this stuff on websites like this one?

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Epic Fail 1977 said:
ScoopMeister said:
Epic Fail 1977 said:
By "everyone" you presumably mean the extremely tiny percentage of gamers who are obsessed enough to talk about this stuff on websites like this one?
Point taken.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
lightly darker
Humorous typo.

Oh fuck, low content post. Random quotation page [http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3] to the rescue!

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)

Yeah, that's probably relevant. You just have to think about it.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
RT said:
That's right. Let them stop making Tomb Raider and get to making Legacy of Kain already!
Legacy of Kain is one of the few franchises I think really does need a reboot. I wish they would do it. Can't wait to play Raziel again. Though I do wonder who they would get to voice the squid thing now that Tony Jay is gone

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
RT said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
RT said:
That's right. Let them stop making Tomb Raider and get to making Legacy of Kain already!
Legacy of Kain is one of the few franchises I think really does need a reboot. I wish they would do it. Can't wait to play Raziel again. Though I do wonder who they would get to voice the squid thing now that Tony Jay is gone
...you DO know that the actual protagonist's name is Kain, right?
Team Kain here. That game blew me away. Raziel... not so much. Blood Omen was a proper, unique game. Soul Reaver was Tomb Raider with freaks. And some broken platforming.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i'm so torn up by this i can't stand it ha i love the game the way it is no need for unneeded sp dlc

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Just decided to try a few matches in MP to see what it offered. Don't really think CD focusing on MP DLC would help it any, unless they somehow figure out how to completely overhaul it.... MP is absolute shit.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
RT said:
...you DO know that the actual protagonist's name is Kain, right?
They kinda share the spotlight. I started the series on Soul Reaver though, so I'm on team Raz.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
RT said:

It surprises me that they are upgrading the multiplayer since you know...no fucker is playing it. Had two of my friends on steam ask me if I had managed to get in a match.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
RT said:
Considering how they killed him off in the last game and didn't intend to bring him back...
Yeah, but with how screwed up LoK's timeline is, they'd probably either have to bring him back to untangle everything or pull a reboot so they can start over and maybe make sense this time.

Moralio

Feb 2, 2012
For the first time after finishing a game I was dissapointed by the lack of single-player DLC. I had such a good time with new TR that I'd gladly buy few more hours of content. Oh well, I still have hard mode to beat and all collectibles (ugh) to grab. Hope we wont have to wait so long for next TR. Oh and Camilla Luddington has to be in it, she is now THE Lara Croft for me.