No, Inafune Did Not Say "It's Better Than Nothing" - UPDATE

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Interesting that the Escapist still hasn't updated the story to reflect that the "better than nothing" quote did in fact not come from Inafune [https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/22/mighty-no-9s-inafune-actually-said-i-own-all-the-problems/], but from his translator. Is there still someone left at the Escapist to do some actual work?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Janichsan said:
Interesting that the Escapist still hasn't updated the story to reflect that the "better than nothing" quote did in fact not come from Inafune [https://www.vg247.com/2016/06/22/mighty-no-9s-inafune-actually-said-i-own-all-the-problems/], but from his translator. Is there still someone left at the Escapist to do some actual work?
What a shocking turn of events.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Off Camera Person: Is there any expansions to the IP?

Translator: 拡張的なコンテンツはありますか?今のMighty No.9に関して、ストリーの?
Translator: kakuchouteki na kontentsu ha arimasuka? ima no Mighty No.9 ni kanshite, sutorii no...
Translator: Is there any expansive content? Regarding this Mighty No.9, for example story related...

Inafune: RayのDLC以外で?
Inafune: Ray no DLC igai de?
Inafune: Outside of the Ray DLC?

Translator: 以外で
Translator: igai de
Translator: Outside [ of the Ray DLC ]

Inafune: 今のところはある予定はしていませんけど、あの、自分たちが作れる余裕が出来てくれば、それは可能性としてはあるかな
Inafune: ima no tokoro ha aru yotei ha shite imasenkedo, ano, jibuntachi ga tsukureru yoyuu ga dekite kureba, soreha kanousei toshite ha aru kana
Inafune: At the moment, we don't have anything planned. However, if the opportunity for us to work on it were to present itself, it could be possible.

Translator: So, there is not any additional DLC beyond the Ray DLC, the reality is they have put everything into making this game. They didn't try to microtransaction it out, they didn't try to DLC it out for extra money. They put it all in. So, for now, this is what you see and what you get, for the Mighty No. 9 world," he continued. "But, again, we can hope that if things go well, there'll be sequels. Because I'll tell you what, I'm not getting my 2D side-scrolling fill. And at the end of the day, even if it's not perfect, it's better than nothing. At least, that's my opinion.
Ok, what am I missing in the setup of this interview? Why is it that the translator's answer doesn't at all match up with what Inafune actually said?
Adding a little context to translations can be expected, but not to this extent where the message is completely different and where the translator ends up putting words in his mouth.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Guess which company i'm more likely to throw money at for another game?
So does that mean everybody here would donate $10-20 million to a totallynotnewvegassequel?[/quote]

I believe a lot cats would get some cheddar for that, baby. Ring-a-ding-ding.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
"It's better than nothing!"

That's what you say when you burn your eggs badly in the morning and they taste disgusting. I mean, yeah, the nutrition is technically there and it is better than not eating anything at all but this sure would be unacceptable if I PAID someone to make me these eggs. Oh and cue the twenty second prom night joke of the thread.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
bluegate said:
Ok, what am I missing in the setup of this interview? Why is it that the translator's answer doesn't at all match up with what Inafune actually said?
Adding a little context to translations can be expected, but not to this extent where the message is completely different and where the translator ends up putting words in his mouth.
Well...
Budget translator maybe.
Or he is trying to become a legend in the world of memes.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm glad that Bloonstained seems to have a person behind it that gives more of a shit.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The truly sad thing about Mighty Number 9 is 'it's Better than Nothing" is probably the best, least offensive, insulting or clueless Marketing message they have yet to put out. And I mean this sincerely. This is the high point. Far far less insulting than 'like an Anime Fan on Prom Night" or the ongoing community killer that was Dina.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Well good. Goodness knows I'm enjoying it, I don't get what people are getting nasty over really.
Heck it exceeds what I expected when I contributed by a rather large amount, and nobody ought contribute to a kickstarter relying on a deadline.

Of course, as I add, 'Roll on my PS Vita version', you lot are almost certainly going to form a few opinions..

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Update: After having the clip viewed by an independent translator, it appears that the translator in the video added his own commentary at the end of Inafune's response, without indicating that he was no longer translating for Inafune. We deeply regret this error. The original story can still be viewed below.
Although the update of the article is very much appreciated, the main page still shows this image and headline;

Without that also being updated, the site is still perpetuating false news.