No Indie Titles on Xbox One Until 2014

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
llamastorm.games said:
There is only around 6-7 weeks of 2013 left by the time the X1 releases...
If they said that there would be no indie titles until this time 2014 that would be more like news.
Actually only 5.5 weeks. There not going to be many for Sony either, if any, I haven't seen the lineup. I heard Minecraft Xbox One may launch before 2014, so this article may be untrue.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd like to see the ex-Infinity Ward guys take off with a flying start, just because I feel that's the narrative they deserve after the shakedown they endured with Activision. But it's increasingly looking like they may have put their eggs in the wrong basket with Microsoft. Being the creators of effectively the headliner title for a console isn't necessarily the easiest position for a new developer to arrive on the scene, even if that developer is made up of industry veterans.

As far as the rest of it, it's all what we've come to expect from Microsoft: a bunch of meaningless doublespeak that can't be pinned down to having any real meaning. No specifics, no names, no real timelines, just a bunch of hyperbolic expressions of how great everything is going to be.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Baldr said:
llamastorm.games said:
If they said that there would be no indie titles until this time 2014 that would be more like news.
Actually only 5.5 weeks. There not going to be many for Sony either, if any, I haven't seen the lineup. I heard Minecraft Xbox One may launch before 2014, so this article may be untrue.
Yeah, if minecraft was still considered indie.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Vie said:
*Headdesk*

Microsoft, just shut up now. Please.

Every time you open your mouths you make things worse... ..except when you announced Baulmer was leaving, that was a good move.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. It's not just the really strange decisions MS are making, it's their comments after that are REALLY baffling me. New x-box can't be used vertically? "It's fine, only 1/5 of our customer base ever wanted that, we can ignore them!". You don't want our always online dildo up your ass? "Then fine, we are taking ALL THESE FEATURES and GOING HOME!"

Sony got hacked, then they fucked up handling it. Next thing they did was apologise, not have a strop that the universe didn't conform to the way they imagined it would while drunk.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the way this is going next thing announce is the Xbox One wont be having its controllers out till 2014. it is missing everything else anyway.

Zeckt said:
Baldr said:
llamastorm.games said:
So minecraft got bought out? no? well then it is still Indie. Granted, the largest indie on the market, but still indie.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Strazdas said:
the way this is going next thing announce is the Xbox One wont be having its controllers out till 2014. it is missing everything else anyway.

Zeckt said:
Baldr said:
llamastorm.games said:
So minecraft got bought out? no? well then it is still Indie. Granted, the largest indie on the market, but still indie.
No Mojang stepped in to the publishing area with Cobalt which in turn takes them out of the indie field.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/minecraft-mojang-publish-cobalt/

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I can't really bring myself to turn on the hate engine for this. While it's easy to jump on the "Lol, what happened to "indie's our best buds"" this isn't really saying anything. There won't be any indies on Xbox One in 2013. Well, the console will barely be out before 2014. In fact for most of Europe it won't be out in 2013 (here included).

I'm willing to let them have some time to work on the console's infrastructure before they start giving out indie games.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Look, if they're having trouble, why don't they just move the XBox One release date to 2014? Yes, I know that it won't be the holiday season, but considering all the features and content that isn't being released with it at the same time, it's easy to see that it's just not done. At this point they're trying to do so much that, frankly, much of it nobody even asked for.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
llamastorm.games said:
Yopaz said:
I can't really bring myself to turn on the hate engine for this. While it's easy to jump on the "Lol, what happened to "indie's our best buds"" this isn't really saying anything. There won't be any indies on Xbox One in 2013. Well, the console will barely be out before 2014. In fact for most of Europe it won't be out in 2013 (here included).

I'm willing to let them have some time to work on the console's infrastructure before they start giving out indie games.
I think the point is supposed to be that it's likely going to spend anywhere from 2-4 months without even having the basic support to release indie games, and the first of those months is going to be the big holiday season when many console sales are made in the first place.

Sure, this really only matters to the people who care about indie developers a lot, and like Zachary said up there I don't imagine many people buy consoles for indie games, so it's not like this news is really going to hurt them in any way, but I still had to let out a small sigh. What could be so complicated about a system by which indie developers can release their own games that it requires up to four (or possibly more) months after the release of your console before you can support it?

Of course, this is the same primarily English-speaking company whose voice-recognition hardware won't recognize certain dialects of English, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
I think the point is supposed to be that it's likely going to spend anywhere from 2-4 months without even having the basic support to release indie games, and the first of those months is going to be the big holiday season when many console sales are made in the first place.

Sure, this really only matters to the people who care about indie developers a lot, and like Zachary said up there I don't imagine many people buy consoles for indie games, so it's not like this news is really going to hurt them in any way, but I still had to let out a small sigh. What could be so complicated about a system by which indie developers can release their own games that it requires up to four (or possibly more) months after the release of your console before you can support it?

Of course, this is the same company whose voice-recognition hardware won't recognize certain dialects of English, so I shouldn't be surprised.
I have to say that I agree with you completely, I just didn't like the way the article was written. Postponed until 2014 makes it sound like it's a big deal despite the fact that next year is right around the corner. It says early 2014, but that usually just means the first quarter so it's anyone's guess when it will actually come.

This is in fact my biggest problem with Microsoft right now though. Their inability to give a clear message. I want to know when the console will be available. The answer sometime 2014. I don't even want the console, I just want them to provide me the information around release.

Also I do agree with your sigh. They have been soooo proud of their indie support and how they're heroes for letting them in on a sweet deal. I simply don't have the energy to get upset with Microsoft unless they screw up big. I'm preserving my energy until they do something dumber than not releasing due to Kinect's voice control. Nobody really wanted that anyway...