No Installation for Final Fantasy XIII PS3

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Magnatek said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Random argument man said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?
Gilgamesh?
Cloud?
You're both way off. It's obviously Wedge looking for Biggs! We haven't seen either of them for a while.

OT: Yet another reason to get a PS3, yet again nothing to get it with. Oh well. College takes priority.
Makes sense. Still would appreciate Gilgamesh, but you're right. We need a Biggs and Wedge.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Good to know, and hasn't there been quite a change recently with Killzone 2 requiring no large install though apparently the Hard-drive IS used, but only many small caches and only a couple hundred MB at a time. Did Uncharted: Drake's Fortune need an install? I know Uncharted 2 doesn't.

It's strange that third party games released on PS3 and 360 all to often require massive installs and still look inferior to the 360 version. The recent Ghostbusters game being the worst example. This is the case with so many third party developers.

But it looks like Square have really put the effort in here to get the most out of PS3. The HDD is a crutch that is easy to lean on, they have clearly put a lot of effort into optimising the code which means I'll probably be getting the PS3 version of FFXIII rather than 360 version, even though I normally get the 360 version of multiplat games.

I just hope this trend with third party developers continues.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Nimbus said:
cleverlymadeup said:
hardly, the storage capacity of cartridges really sux.
Are you kidding me? I've seen 8GB carts the size of my pinky finger's nail.
yeah and the 50+ gigs a blu-ray can hold will make the cartridge too expensive. also producing 8 gig carts isn't that cheap

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Valiance said:
Hm.

Yet another reason to get 'dat ps triple' as they call it.

FFXIII has no PC version, but I'm glad they don't have to wait for install times.
Hell, sometimes -I- don't wanna wait for install times. :p
Didn't know it wasn't a PC release, nevermind i'll emulate it in 5 years time :)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Blimey, how did Squarenix manage to pull that one off with all the pretty graphics? I shall never understand the techinicalities of gaming... oh wells, more for me to enjoy I guess!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Worried about load times? Don't be. The only time you'll see load times is when you transition from town to field.
I wonder how long those will be...

*Image pops into head of Cloud contracting cancer*
Well... Cloud WAS addicted to Mako...
That's a start.

OT: That's good to hear. Although I was never really off-put by install times to begin with, it's a great idea to exclude them.
CantFaketheFunk said:
He didn't say that outright, but "a familiar Final Fantasy character"? Who else could that be?
You may be right on the money betting it's Cid, Funk.
That, or it's more happless fan service of Cloud Strife & Pals.
[small]Or perhaps it's Tidus. Let's pray it is not Tidus.[/small]

JenXXXJen

Mar 11, 2009
Onmi said:
JenXXXJen said:
Well, it has been in developement for aaages. Hasn't it broke a record or something?
no. Also thats dumb it's no where near as long as it's taken multiple games to come out, off the top of my head DNF

anyway this is nice, hope the same courtesy is extended to our 360 bretheren. if not.

>.>
<.<

[small]Haaaaaaaaaaaa...[/small]
Toouuuchy

Although I was a little unsure about that, 7 years is still pretty long. And wasn't DNF cancelled? Oh whatever, who cares.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Because Evil is Sexy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsSexy], don'tcha know.
Sarah Palin joke?

I'm only curious because she said that a lot. By most accounts she was attractive and by most accounts she was pretty...well...

You get my point.

Magnatek said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Random argument man said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Gilgamesh?
Cloud?
You're both way off. It's obviously Wedge looking for Biggs! We haven't seen either of them for a while.

OT: Yet another reason to get a PS3, yet again nothing to get it with. Oh well. College takes priority.
I thought there was someone named Biggs and Wedge in every single Final Fantasy Game?

Nimbus said:
cleverlymadeup said:
I stand corrected, they are up to 32 GB. The 64 and 128 will be something with a different name.

The 32 GB is called a Micro SDHC I believe.

Just not commercially available yet to my knowledge.

cleverlymadeup said:
Nimbus said:
cleverlymadeup said:
yeah and the 50+ gigs a blu-ray can hold will make the cartridge too expensive. also producing 8 gig carts isn't that cheap
You are missing the fact that a blu-ray is fragile, the durability of SD cards is second to none in storable tiny media. I've put a few of mine through the wash on accident and they got the shit slapped and washed out of them. Came out working fine.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
Being a PC gamer for so long really takes the sting of installation away, but when you find a game that doesn't require it makes you feel good.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Even though I have enjoyed FF games in the past, and recently played FFVII again on the PSpiple, I really don't see myself buying this game. They're just too long.

I am very much under the time constraints in the article So many games, So little time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_224/6669-So-Many-Games-So-Little-Time]. I'm still stumbling through The Wasteland and Nathan Drake is staring at me again through the Game bag.

If I do buy FFXIII how many other games are going to pile up on the shelf. I've still got N64, PS2 and Gamecube games which are waiting to be played.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
At least someone is trying to combat this issue.

I don't like going round my cousin house when he has a new game that we both wanna play and having to sit around for 2 hours waiting for it to install. Not that he like Final Fantasy at all but it's a first step.