No, it isn't OK.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
I'm all for freedom, and a person absolutely has the right to say or think or believe anything they damn well choose to. Condemning people for being "wrong" is exactly what the Nazis did and scarily enough, that's exactly what political correctness is doing now, it's practically outlawing entire beliefs and opinions. Everything should be brought out into the open and discussed, people should be able to have whatever opinions they want: if they stand up and say we should kill an entire race of people I'm sure the vast majority of people will tell them to stick it. Hiding that away though .... not good.

I have to quote the following because it's absolutely brilliant:

HellsingerAngel said:
101flyboy said:
I never said that a person isn't entitled to their beliefs.
And I didn't say you did either. Don't put your words in my mouth as they taste ever so bitter.

101flyboy said:
I said essentially that although you have a right to say something, that damn sure doesn't mean you are right, and I am required to accept your positions as OK when they aren't, that I have to respect bigotry, or agree with it and just sit and complacently watch someone spread lies and hatred. People are entitled to be wrong. You are free to choose wrong.
Awesome. Guess what? You have a choice to be wrong in the fact that you're being a complete bigot in that people can't believe certain ideals without being wrong. I find that wrong. Telling people that they're wrong and that they shouldn't say certain things, even if they are bigots themselves, is wrong in and of itself and is exactly the type of behaviour you want gone. Stop peddling bullshit and calling it ice cream, please.

101flyboy said:
Let people be who they choose to be? Interesting. Should we let Neo-Nazi skinheads spread racist ideals and be actively racist?
Yes, they have ever right to do so, as much as you have every right to express your opinion against it. That doesn't make either wrong, it just makes them different.

101flyboy said:
Should we just choose to allow pedophiles be?
Yes, if they're not doing anything wrong with their obsession. If they wish sit idly by or scream at the top of their lungs "I love little children" then let them.

101flyboy said:
Where does that line end?
There is no line. People can think and say what they want. That's the type of society we live in and damned if your twisted logic is going to ruin it.

101flyboy said:
At some point there has to be a line, where one does not cross. A moral code.
Why do people need to be censored or told they're wrong for believing in something? That's called a dictatorship, my friend, and those places aren't very fun.
101flyboy said:
I am not evil whatsoever. I'm not silencing anyone. Bigoted beliefs are incorrect.
Glad you think you're incorrect. I suppose this entire thread is now moot.

101flyboy said:
I'm not going to say otherwise just to give someone the benefit of the doubt. If someone is doing something wrong, they need to be called out on that accordingly. It's really not hard logic to fathom.
I agree. Doing something is wrong in that it could cause harm. Saying something is perfectly fine. Believing in something is great!

101flyboy said:
People can and have stood up for a lot of wrong things. That doesn't make it right whatsoever. Just because someone believes something or says they are right, doesn't mean they are right.
I agree, you aren't right and nothing you say will make it so.

101flyboy said:
Let's stop PC bullshit and call things for what they truly are.
Glad to know the freedom to say what you want is now deemed "political correctness", when in fact being PC is the exact opposite. If anything, you're the one being PC by saying "bigotry is wrong and everyone should have equal rights" because that's being politically correct to all those that have disabilities, different heritages and sexes that don't have the luxuries provided in places like North America. Good job on getting that right.

101flyboy said:
For you to say I'm wrong in not supporting bigotry is about as..................unspeakable as it gets.
For you to say someone is wrong just because they beleive in something you don't is even worse.

101flyboy said:
You essentially support bigots and bigoted ideals.
No, I support speaking your mind and not being afraid to be who you are, whether that be a person that hates black, lesbian women or a black, lesbian woman and the convinction to be strong enough to ignore those that say you're wrong for believing what you are to be good, whether that be a black, lesbian woman or a person who hates black, lesbian women.

The point you seem to be missing is that neither is better than the other. Each group condemns the other for being wrong and you're no different. The fact is, neither is wrong because they've stood up for something they believe in and that's what life is about. You need to have ideals that you, personally, believe are right and wrong and hold no sway to another's judgement. However, this also means that you need to realise that every other person is entitled to this no matter what their beleifs. This includes the fact that they are not wrong! For you to say they are wrong strips the vadilidy of having beliefs, freedom of thought and such nice liberties we're granted.

101flyboy said:
That is uncivilized and inhumane.
Actually, it's considered the peak of human civility to allow others to think, feel and say what they want. You're actually suggesting regression to a totalitarian regieme of thought.

101flyboy said:
There aren't two sides of the coin.
No, there is always two sides to a coin, that's why the expression follows such logic. To even follow the metaphore, there's someone who hates black people out there that could be posting a very similarly expressed but opposite viewpoint post about how people who think equality is the only way are wrong and that you're stupid.

101flyboy said:
Not all view points are valid.
Yes, they are. That's what philosophy is all about and your question essentially asks that question. Then you decide to 180 with that statement in that, no, there is no room for discussion anymore, I just want to hear that I'm right. Well, sorry, but you aren't. There is only one thing that's wrong in this world and that's telling someone else that their beliefs are wrong.

101flyboy said:
Bigotry is wrong. Common sense tells us this. If you don't have the common sense to comprehend this, then I'm sorry for you.
I'd just like to know who's prevailing common sense is this thta we speak of? Your's? Humanity's? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, common sense about one hundred years ago was theate than shit on the heel of our shoes, that homosexuals needed to be strung up and tortured/killed to be examples to the people and that women were to be subservient of men because they were the weaker sex. So, yeah, "common sense" dictates a lot of things that have been proven not as correct as we think time and time again. The only true constant is that people will believe what they wish to believe and that they are not wrong for thinking so, but rather wrong for subjecting people and forcing them to believe that their ideas are "the only ideas". Kinda like you saying that hating someone for arbitrary reasons is wrong, no matter what and not accepting that there are different viewpoints on the matter and simply tossing any sort of argument out the window with your self-imposed impunity.

Yes, clearly not a bigot at all...[/quote]

The Stonker

Feb 26, 2009
101flyboy said:
Berethond said:
Palademon said:
Berethond said:
What if you're indoctrinated into bigoted beliefs?
Then try to fix it, or not act on them, would be my guess.
But OP said
A lot of people don't really "choose" their religious beliefs either, they are indoctrinated into them. However, bigoted beliefs against these groups is most certainly a choice. So I guess some people must not "choose" to be so bigoted either.
I clarified this statement. There is a difference, though. Being religious in itself is not an issue. Being a bigot is an issue.
So if I was a serial killer who stoned homosexuals and said Jesus is in my cock-Ricky Gervais-
and I would say that my "god" told me to do it, would I then be right? Because it's my religion?
No.
People are entitled to their own opinion and they can express is as they want, that's freedom of speech and free will.

kir4

May 1, 2008
-Samurai- said:
kir4 said:
-Samurai- said:
kir4 said:
-Super Duper Samurai SNIP-
snip
[small][More snipping to leave the entire reason I posted in this thread][/small]
Im not saying for someone to stop feeling a certain way. I'm saying just keep it to yourself.
I'm not expecting you to just say "Hey, you're right!", and leave it at that.
Hey Samurai... You are right. gg

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Man, I haven't been around for a bit, was busy with things. Anyway, no, it's not acceptable to be bigoted. It's that simple, and it should be treated as the negative thing it is. There is absolutely nothing redeeming in being against legal adult citizens solely for who they are. Wrong is wrong. We need to stop the PC crap and call things out for what they are.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
The Stonker said:
101flyboy said:
Berethond said:
Palademon said:
Berethond said:
What if you're indoctrinated into bigoted beliefs?
Then try to fix it, or not act on them, would be my guess.
But OP said
A lot of people don't really "choose" their religious beliefs either, they are indoctrinated into them. However, bigoted beliefs against these groups is most certainly a choice. So I guess some people must not "choose" to be so bigoted either.
I clarified this statement. There is a difference, though. Being religious in itself is not an issue. Being a bigot is an issue.
So if I was a serial killer who stoned homosexuals and said Jesus is in my cock-Ricky Gervais-
and I would say that my "god" told me to do it, would I then be right? Because it's my religion?
No.
People are entitled to their own opinion and they can express is as they want, that's freedom of speech and free will.
People are entitled to their bigoted opinions and are entitled to express them, and they should be treated accordingly. There are responsibilities that come with freedom of speech.

Also, obviously no, religion doesn't justify atrocities, that's my point, though. That there are no justifications for things that are obviously wrong.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
xdom125x said:
101flyboy said:
People don't choose to be gay/black/women. People do choose homophobia. You are entitled to choose to be homophobic, but expect rational minded people to call you out on it for exactly what it is.
I have always found this interesting. How is what a person likes (i.e. a gay person liking the same gender) not chosen, yet what somebody hates (supposedly) is.
No-one chooses their sexuality. It's an immutable mental trait. It's natural. Homophobia is a personality disorder. It isn't natural, so therefore, it's clearly not something inborn.

Not a hard concept.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Peteron said:
Right and wrong is merely an opinion created by common belief. I do not agree with this behavior, but who am I to say it is incorrect. There are no guidelines or rules in life, so technically calling it wrong is incorrect. You could say it isn't OK to you, but you cannot say it isn't OK as a whole.
Right and wrong is common sense. Common sense tells us what is right and wrong. Common sense should tell you that discriminating against a group of individuals solely for who they are, when who they are has no affect on your life or society in any inherently negative way, is irrational and should be treated as such.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Evil Alpaca said:
It seems a lot of the posts in the thread are not distinguishing between freedom of expression and the freedom of action. Saying that you don't like gays, blacks, or religious people is still expressing a viewpoint. If you disagree then you have the freedom to argue against them. That is the essence of discourse. Saying that an opinion is wrong so it shouldn't be expressed is a dangerous idea because if you look back through history many of our current ideas of "common sense" were at one point or another, opinions that went against the majority. Voltaire said it best by "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
The thing is, though, that just because a majority of people think one way, doesn't mean that opinion is right. It just means a lot of people are ignorant. Also, everyone obviously has the right to express their views, I never said differently. I said their views should be treated accordingly. You can express your views, but there are responsibilities that come with freedom of speech, and consequences for bad behavior.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
bdcjacko said:
I agree with Evil Alpaca there. Just cause Fred doesn't like black people for no really good reason doesn't give Tim the right to tell Fred he is wrong for causally stating his beliefs. But this forum isn't America, or any other country and the forum owners and moderators ultimately have the right to choose what is posted on their site.
I's not that Fred is wrong for stating his beliefs, it's that his beliefs are wrong and should be called out as wrong accordingly. And when it comes to this website, obviously overtly hateful comments are deleted, and that is because this site is doing what I advocate, you can say what you feel like, but if they don't want to associate or have their website represented in such a bigoted fashion or have people with such egregious views attacking a group of people who also are a part of the forum, then that person will face consequences for their actions. That's the way things should be. You can openly discuss your views as that is freedom of expression, but then you should also expect the consequences for negative attitudes and actions.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Are you mad brother? Who's to say what is or is not ok anyways? No one. Only what you believe. If you want to hate thats ok. You want to love thats ok.
If you want to hate, that's OK? No, it isn't. Hate isn't OK. There isn't anything redeeming of hatred. Hatred harms society, like murder, like rape, like disease. And it should be seen as such and treated as such.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Vryyk said:
101flyboy said:
So, I'm pretty new here, hello everyone, I'm sure you've seen me around. Anyway, I was checking out OTD forum last night, and some guy said something like I don't like black people, am I right? I don't like ____________ group, I don't recall who it was. And he said that was a legitimate opinion to have, and that it's just a preference. Others agreed with him. And I've noticed people making excuses for this type of behavior.

Well, no. It isn't OK to racist, homophobic, sexist etc. It isn't OK to dislike black people for their race, it isn't OK to be against homosexuality, and it isn't OK to think women are lesser beings than men, think all other religious options are beneath your chosen belief, and we can go on from there. It is NOT OK. Yes, people are entitled to their opinions. That doesn't make them right, they're still wrong, but it's that persons' choice to be wrong. And remember, people don't choose to be black/gay/women etc. A lot of people don't really "choose" their religious beliefs either, they are indoctrinated into them. However, bigoted beliefs against these groups is most certainly a choice.

I get tired when people make defense of such actions. People especially do it when it comes to sexuality/gender related things. Like somehow religion/"ick" factor/society/whatever bullshit they can think of makes is reasonable to be a bigot against these things. Well, someone needs to say it loud and clear. It isn't. And thinking it's acceptable and giving it a pass makes you part of the problem, because these attitudes are what causes the actions against legal citizens. There is a reason why individuals such as this are viewed negatively. It's because they are negative people, and should be seen as such.

What do you all think? Am I right or wrong? Discuss.
I'd say it's ok to think that way, but when you harass someone or otherwise act on that bias, then you have gone to far. Some people just won't like certain groups, right or wrong.

My roommate's step-dad for instance, really dislikes a lot of black people. His reason? He is an ex-marine who was stationed in Fallujah and Somalia. He saw a lot of friends die over his four tours of duty and it changed him. I don't personally agree with racism, but it would be pointless for me to wave my finger at him and say, "you are not allowed to be racist". I can however tell him to knock it the fuck off or otherwise dissuade him if he decided to accost a black man at the store.
Your friend should talk to the step-dad, and discuss his views and really explain them and get to the heart of the issue. You already know the main cause of his bigotry so that's a good first step. Your friend should walk through it with the step-dad, and then just explain why feeling that way is wrong, and why having negatively biased views against an entire group of people is wrong. It's a good teachable moment, to help guide someone to eliminating bigoted ideals. Because bigotry is just as harmful to the bigot as it is to the person they are bigoted towards. It's a burden people carry with them forever. And it's something that should be eliminated for the good of the human collective.

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
Pecoros7 said:
EDIT: Somehow buggered the quote. I'm just going to leave it out as I can't be bothered to fix it.

There is a distinction between "I don't care for the gay lifestyle" and "I am against the gay lifestyle" The former is a matter of preference, the latter is a statement of direct opposition.

Some people aren't comfortable around homosexuals. That's ok. If they respect them as people and let them go about their lives, I have no problem with it. If people try to stop them from being gay, prohibit them from partaking in society or try to make their lives harder because of their sexuality, then we have a problem. It is our behavior, not our preferences, that affect the world and those around us.
Being "uncomfortable around homosexuals" is a problem. There isn't anything OK with that. It's a negative. And it directly harms that irrationally uncomfortable person, because they are going to be freaking out and not behaving reasonably in certain situations, solely because of a persons' sexuality. They will miss out on certain activities or miss out on great friends because of their sexuality only. Gay/lesbian folks will feel shunned or disliked by these individuals. That is obviously not something that should be treated lightly. Preferences are what causes bigoted behavior. If you want to stop the issue, you have to go to the root of the problem ans see what is causing that, and make a change. And the thing that is causing this discomfort is homophobia. Thus, homophobia is a problem that needs to be eradicated, for the good of everyone.

There isn't a such thing as a gay lifestyle to begin with, so the problems in mentality start there.

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
xmbts said:
It isn't ok, but it's also not ok to try and force people to think differently, all you can do is explain your side and hope for the best.
Sums up what I was going to say.

Nothing you can do if somebody hates a group of people, except try to present why that hate is groundless. And if they still think so, you tried.

gregonslaught

Apr 24, 2009
here is how i see it:
Judging someone based on race is racism, racism is wrong. This also goes for gender, and sexuality. To be clear, I am a 19 year old caucasian man, a forth generation Canadian, and a Christian. I personally believe that homosexuals shouldn't get married. Once again to be clear I don't have anything against homosexuals, my cousin is gay, and I love her. As for judging them I personally don't find anything about a homosexual relationship worse than any other two people having sex out of wedlock. That's where I'm at. Now I suppose that if someone with racist opinions never let those opinions come out in any way then that would be alright, then it's their own problem that we shouldn't have to deal with. The problem is when that guy who doesn't like black people treats someone poorly because of his or her race, and it will happen, and he does this simply by voicing his opinion. I'd go off on another tyrant about people who mistreat women but we don't have time for that. (that subject I have a particularly strong stance on).

101flyboy

Jul 11, 2010
philzibit said:
101flyboy said:
However, bigoted beliefs against these groups is most certainly a choice.
No, not really. Depending on where you live, your upbringing, and your religion, it becomes less of a choice to the person and more of a fact. Not to say racism, sexism, ect is right, but to some people, that's what they were brought up to believe. Like the expression goes, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Great example, black kid grows up in the ghetto; has people tell him all his life that white people are the cause of him being poor and in the ghetto. The result is him hating white people for no factual reason.

Also, opinions can't be wrong. No matter how misguided, illogical, and/or stupid they may be, a persons beliefs can't be wrong, because it's what they believe.
A persons' beliefs can definitely be wrong. If someone believes a turkey is a chicken, they are wrong. If a person believes all Muslims are terrorists, they are wrong. If someone is indoctrinated into bigotry, that's obviously a shame. But it's up to that person, once they get to the real world, to begin to understand what their beliefs mean, and common sense should then lead them to realize the errors in the things they were taught. Indoctrination isn't the best of excuses, though, because plenty of people have grown up in situations around people who are bigoted and not become bigoted themselves. You have to be strong, independent, and rational minded. Not everyone has these traits, unfortunately.

In the real world, indoctrination or not, people need to realize that their traditionally held beliefs may not be the end all be all they were taught. When you grow up, one should learn, grow and develop into better people. And that includes making any irrationally held biases things of the past. If you know a bigoted person, talk to them and enlighten them, and guide them into thinking critically about why they feel the way they do, and maybe open the door into their realization that their beliefs aren't really valid. None of us should just allow bad behavior to continue unchecked because of the damages it truly causes to the world at large.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
101flyboy said:
Man, I haven't been around for a bit, was busy with things. Anyway, no, it's not acceptable to be bigoted. It's that simple, and it should be treated as the negative thing it is. There is absolutely nothing redeeming in being against legal adult citizens solely for who they are. Wrong is wrong. We need to stop the PC crap and call things out for what they are.
Why? "Because" isn't an appropriate answer. If you're to defend your position, you need to give reason and meaning towards it. As it stands, you've only said "it should be this way because I say so" and havn't given any advantage that your beliefs are good, where as those that believe these people have the right to speak their mind have given numerous advantages in the form of not silencing ideas to formulate opinions in the people by themselves, whether they change their opinion to hate another race or strengthen their resolve to believe every race is equal; it doesn't matter as all type of thought is needed to reaffirm people's beliefs or to set beliefs they thought they had a true conviction in to mold them into who they will become. Meanwhile, you sit here, preaching that these bigots are incorrect without any solid proof to your claim. So, where is it? Where is this universal truth that being racist/sexist/homophobic is wrong?

Also, again, your definition of "politically correct" is not correct. And I quote:

Wikipedia said:
Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, religious belief, disability, and age-related contexts.
Saying that bigots are entitled to their opinion and that they are not wrong in having these ideals is the exact opposite of being politically correct. You're the one trying to promote political correctness here. Don't start using terms you don't understand to try and sound smarter because you end up invalidating your points as ignorant, much like your verbage.

101flyboy said:
People are entitled to their bigoted opinions and are entitled to express them, and they should be treated accordingly. There are responsibilities that come with freedom of speech.

Also, obviously no, religion doesn't justify atrocities, that's my point, though. That there are no justifications for things that are obviously wrong.
Yes. One of those responcibilities is that we let everyone express what they wish to express. That includes the beliefs that certain people are below others. If this is what a person truly believes, then they are correct for stating their beliefs to others and saying that "this is what I believe is right". You telling them that they're wrong by some virtue of the universe is absolutely bigoted. You are stating your own opinion, not fact! Treat it as such.

Then there comes to argument of religion, where your twisted logic hits that same speed bump. I'm going to take the Islamic religion as my example here. They believe that women are to be dependant on men and their entire culture revolves around this. This isn't to say the women are treated poorly, in fact they're treated very well and have a specific role in the family unit to ensure it runs well, but there is certain social ediquette that must be followed in the practices of Islam, much like the small example I gave. Women are protected by men and in return are given roles to keep them safe. This is what you're calling wrong, simply because women aren't equal to men according to our Western definition? If this is true, you really are being narrow-minded.

101flyboy said:
No-one chooses their sexuality. It's an immutable mental trait. It's natural. Homophobia is a personality disorder. It isn't natural, so therefore, it's clearly not something inborn.

Not a hard concept.
Actually...

Homosexuality is an abboration of our genetic programming. Attraction is supposed to happen when a member of the opposite sex (those we can reproduce with) chooses to take interest in you. Homosexuality, on the other hand, means attraction happens when someone of the same sex (those we cannot reproduce with) chooses to take interest in you. At the same time, homophobia would be our internal instinct shying away from things that are abborations in our genetic programing. This isn't a choice! To say that is like saying being afraid of heights is a choice, that pulling away from fire is a choice, that breathing is a choice! One may be afraid that when they ride the ferris wheel at the carnival that they'll fall down and die, despite seeing thousands of others get up and ride safely, the same way that a person will still be afraid that a gay person will be attracted to them, despite seeing that same person interact with a thousand other men perfectly fine; it's irrational and therefore not a choice!

As for it being immutable? We've actually begun to track the neural pathings to what causes homosexuality in people. We've looked at causes, events and circumstances that increase the potential for someone to become homosexual when their drive kicks in. We almost have sexuality down to a science, which means the next step is the manipulation of it -- something that seems very possible in our lifetime. By this account, sexuality is far more determined by your set of beliefs and what you've been subjected to, which makes it more of a choice than anything. Being straight or gay could very well be an internal choice based upon experiences in which the brain then creates synapses for the attraction that seems more desirable or appropriate to the individual. But that's really all theorhetical right now and is still under testing. Just thought it was a good point to consider.

101flyboy said:
Right and wrong is common sense. Common sense tells us what is right and wrong. Common sense should tell you that discriminating against a group of individuals solely for who they are, when who they are has no affect on your life or society in any inherently negative way, is irrational and should be treated as such.
Again, you bring up common sense. Who's common sense? As I have stated before, common sense one hundred years back was the exact opposite of what you're claiming it to be today. That was fact back then. Now you're saying the exact opposite should be fact. I believe the fact that the opinion of it could change so drastically in such a small amount of time would mean this isn't just a black and white issue and that both points have vadility.

As for the affect other races have? Well, look at The United States. A sizable enough portion of the black community in these settings have taken to violence, territorial beliefs and the discrimination of other races simply because they aren't as well off as others. I know there are certainly a lot of other diversities out there that do the same, including white people, but the ratio is astoundingly high in that particular race. And what? Because they're poor? They hide behind the guise of history to claim that people are still opressing them, which is untrue because many a black person has beocme successful after working hard. A lot of people are poor and they don't start shooting people because of it.

Even further sickening is the self-entitlement other races seem to have after moving into a predominently white area. They believe that they should not have to abide by the simplest of rules already set out. I'll give an example: I used to work for a telecommunications company. I was in charge of customer service in the Ontario region of Canada. There are a lot of chinese people in Ontario. Now, this became a serious problem for me and the company when people who couldn't speak a word of english nor understand english were subscribing to the company's products. This created a problem that should never have existed, as you are required to pass a language competency exam when immigrating for either english or french. This means either A) The govenment official was lazy and didn't perform the test (highly unlikely, but possible), B) The individual forgot the language either through learning disabilities or choice (slightly more likely), -or- C) They're choosing not to speak it and lying about their comprehension (most likely). In the end, my company had a Mandarin queue, which people still complained about because it wasn't their choice dialect, but I still see this as pandering to the unjustified complaints of another race who are actively refusing to speak the language of the country they're living in and instead choose to force the country into speaking their's. Not that I believe they need to forget whatever languages they've learned, but that they need to understand their language is not an official one of this part of the world and that if they plan to live there they need to respect the rules put into place, one of them being that everyone needs to know and speak one of those languages when conducting business unless otherwise agreed upon. If you want to make the argument that "race" involves only the colour of one's skin, well, you're more racist than you think.

101flyboy said:
The thing is, though, that just because a majority of people think one way, doesn't mean that opinion is right. It just means a lot of people are ignorant. Also, everyone obviously has the right to express their views, I never said differently. I said their views should be treated accordingly. You can express your views, but there are responsibilities that come with freedom of speech, and consequences for bad behavior.
Now, this is what gets me. You claim that "common sense dictates" this, that and the other thing, but then say the majority of people could also be wrong? So that means what you claim to be "common sense" could be subjected to the same logic, no, as common sense is dictated by the many? So, by extension, if enough people believe that all but their race should die, your logic of all races are equal would be wrong? Good to know we cleared that up! So basically what you're saying is that any minority is worng! Man, everything seems so much more clear now. I wish you had just said that in the first place! Now, what is a minority that we could eliminate? ...Oh, wait, right: other races.

101flyboy said:
If you want to hate, that's OK? No, it isn't. Hate isn't OK. There isn't anything redeeming of hatred. Hatred harms society, like murder, like rape, like disease. And it should be seen as such and treated as such.
But you seem to hate those that don't believe that equality is correct. So, hate is good? No wait, it isn't, because that means not everyone is equal! Shit... I'm confused... Could you explain it in a far more convoluted system of beliefs that goes against any sort of logical premise? Like, erm, a religion or something? I don't think I'm indoctrinated enough by your self-defeating and hypocritical rhetoric yet.

As a side note: can I be the Grand Magi to your Grand Imperial Wizard or whatever when you're done?

101flyboy said:
Being "uncomfortable around homosexuals" is a problem. There isn't anything OK with that. It's a negative. And it directly harms that irrationally uncomfortable person, because they are going to be freaking out and not behaving reasonably in certain situations, solely because of a persons' sexuality. They will miss out on certain activities or miss out on great friends because of their sexuality only. Gay/lesbian folks will feel shunned or disliked by these individuals. That is obviously not something that should be treated lightly. Preferences are what causes bigoted behavior. If you want to stop the issue, you have to go to the root of the problem ans see what is causing that, and make a change. And the thing that is causing this discomfort is homophobia. Thus, homophobia is a problem that needs to be eradicated, for the good of everyone.

There isn't a such thing as a gay lifestyle to begin with, so the problems in mentality start there.
Ok, now you're just talking crazy talk. Do you really believe people are that emotionally unstable that if they feel uncomfortable they're going to freak out? That if someone looks uncomfortable around them they'll feel like shit? "Common sense" dictates, as you put it, that you remove yourself from the situation and avoid similar situations as not to be impolite. People don't like certain other people. Get used to it!

Then there comes the argument that these people who feel uncomfortable around gays and lesbians needs to be wiped of their beleifs, despite you saying they're allowed to believe what they want. First off, you're now contradicting your only redeemable arugment in that you do believe these people shouldn't have these values and they need to be changed, not that they're just wrong. Second, why is it wrong to be uncomfortable like that? As an example: I'm afraid of heights. Because of this, I'm not a huge fan of skydiving. I don't hang around skydivers and generally avoid them because it freaks me out. Extreme sports in general freka me out, actually, so I tend to avoid adrenaline junkies on the whole. Does this now make me a terrible person for not thursting myself into these social circles? Not really. Same could be applied for gay people. If you're not comfortable being around gay people, what's the issue of just not going to places that will obviously have gay people? It's a choice and you can't condemn them for it as that is not your place to do so. You do not have control over the action, thoughts, beliefs and feelings of others and I would ask you kindly to not start spouting shit that says you do!!!

EDIT: Also, I'm curious as to why you decided to respond to everyone but me. Do you not believe your arguements can hold a candle to what I've said and chosen to ignore it? If you believe so strongly in your convictions, you should defend them.

enriel

Oct 20, 2009
Bullshit. All morality is subjective, so nothing is universally 'ok' and vice versa. MOST people tend to run the same moral gamut, so from where you stand it may seem only logical that prejudice of any sort is not ok, but in reality, it's all just an opinion and everyone has one.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Tolerance is all you should expect from another person, in my humble opinion. Someone can hate me all they want for being of a different race, gender, or whatever. As long as they don't act on that hatred, they can stress themselves out giving me dirty looks from across a room for all I care.

I believe people have a right to love and hate what they love and hate even if it's comprised of some bigoted blanket statement like "a black person." Honestly, you don't know what that person has been through to bring them to that conclusion, and while I agree that they could use some re-education, strongarming someone into that sort of thing won't do your side any good. Individuals have to come to their own conclusions, otherwise the enlightenment won't take root. The best you can do is try to steer that conclusion in a positive way, but you'll probably be better at it with some training in human behavior.

Hating people for little things is stupid, IMO, but it's equally silly to think people can just get over years of mental conditioning to start thinking, acting and reacting in what you feel is a much better way.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Well... I don't like ghetto or hick accents, so I don't like white or black people from those locations.

I think you can dislike things about them and be fine, justdon't say, "I will vote for this person or give this person a job because of their color of skin"

It's when people make a deal about race when race isn't even remotely relatable to the situation that's a problem. You can have a thing for black people over asian and hta'ts fine.