No Man's Sky Disappointment

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
Depends, do you consider constant inventory management to be "zen"?

Because the game forces you to do a ton of resource gathering just to travel around. Combine that with an aggressively small starting inventory and you get a great deal of inventory shuffling.

Our tastes probably differ, but I've always found that sort of busywork to be the opposite of zen.
Myeh, I don't mind that as much. Apparently it's pretty easy to dump shit in your ship and all that. I mean, I'm the kind of guy who gets relaxed by folding the laundry so y'know. I didn't mind it much in Stardew Valley either.

Not that I'll be getting the game mind you. Holy shit the PC launch is fubar. Big bummer because the streamer I'm currently watching, CohhCarnage, is having no issues and it makes me want to play the game pretty badly. But I'm not going to risk it, no sir.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
As one of the lucky ones who got it on PC and has put in 3 hours without any MAJOR issues (Some hitching here and there, terrain pop-up and the odd FPS drop when in the trading menu) I have to say I'm loving what I've seen so far. Enjoying my time immensely and I haven't even started properly exploring the planets yet, dumpster diving through caves and what not.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Michel Henzel said:
Silentpony said:
So Steam reviews are in, and the game is broken. Almost no one can play it. Keeps crashing right after the title screen. Another questionable release like Batman, where you wonder if they actually tested the PC version before release.
Going by the steam "reviews" it does seem to be the case that the game is broken as fuck.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated
I was reading through some of the positive 'reviews', and I noticed a few things. Most positive reviews have less than an hour on record, they fully admit the game doesn't work or is laggy to the point of unplayable, and have either gotten a refund or a seriously considering it...yet it still gets a thumbs up.

I dunno. I find that weird and note-worthy.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Considering how the PC version is doing, I'd liek to vote to rename it 'Batman Spore X'.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
The best thing out of the whole shabang around NMS is, that i remembered finally checkin' out the released version of Starbound.
I'll grab myself a copy of NMS in december during the christmas sales or something.

Guess i've to wait a little longer for my long overdue dosage of Freelancer. And no, Star Citizen doesn't count, because that thing will follow NMS in it's footsteps - that i am convinced of until it's released and proven otherwise.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Waaahhahahahahaha!

And the PC port is a mess to boot!

Crashing, hitching, the works. 52% positive reviews on Steam. And that's before we get to the 30fps cap and FOV so low that it's the first game to actually make me physically uncomfortable.

It's reviewed terribly. (68% on Metacritic which on the 7-10 video game scale is utterly dismal). Oh, and it's fucking war in the user reviews.

Oh man, I am so glad I dodged this $60 bullet.

If anyone needs me I shall be over here bathing in the warm glow of vindication.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Guess i've to wait a little longer for my long overdue dosage of Freelancer. And no, Star Citizen doesn't count, because that thing will follow NMS in it's footsteps - that i am convinced of until it's released and proven otherwise.
Star Citizen, no. Squadron 42? Perhaps.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Let me put it this way... I had never used the steam refund option. I have used it now.
For 60 dollars I expect a working game. Myst had better framerates than this.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I haven't played the game, but it looks to me like another one of those games that tries to sell itself solely on the basis of how big it is, other than what is actually in the game. Bethesda has the same problem, too. Games like these are more often than not, big, open, and devoid of anything to do.

I generally prefer linear games, these days, because at least then, the developer can finely tune the experience that you will get, and it can be amazing, as opposed to having it spread across a massive map, or trying to make some random algorithm try to make something cool.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So a(nother) ciecle jerk thread i see. Oh how the eacapists have fallen.

Look up the stories on reddit if you want to see opinion of people who have actually played the game. It's a fun, relaxing games for people with an imagination who want to feel immersed and don't need 10 bodies worth of blood on the screen at all times.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Lufia Erim said:
So a(nother) ciecle jerk thread i see. Oh how the eacapists have fallen.

Look up the stories on reddit if you want to see opinion of people who have actually played the game. It's a fun, relaxing games for people with an imagination who want to feel immersed and don't need 10 bodies worth of blood on the screen at all times.
Funny how most reviews I've read of the game states that it isn't particularly relaxing because the "survival" aspects of the game are constantly intruding on any sort of amazement or relaxation you might experience. Coupled with the criticism of the punishingly small starting inventory, most reviewers, even those who like NMS, seems to agree that it is not a game you play to enjoy the sights and relax, because the game is constantly going full Skinner Box on you to keep you in its' gameplay loop.