No Man's Sky is starting to look a bit rubbish.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mangod said:
So, exploring just for the sake of exploring? There's no end goal? Because for a lot of people, that can be a dealbreaker.
Yup. I'm perfectly fine with that being a dealbreaker for a lot of people. I never figured this game being a big mainstream title anyway. But I like to boldly go, as it were. Channel my inner Kirk. It also helps that the soundtrack is provided by one of my favourite post-rock bands.
ryan_cs said:
I might have missed something, but why do we need to upgrade our ship to go further? Are there stronger enemies near the center or is there some other reason?
Yup. The closer you get to the center, the more resistance you'll find and apparently the weirder things become.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I have to agree. No Man's Sky was also a game that I was very excited for, when it was announced, but now that I have much less time on my hands, I find myself being much more critical when it comes to games, and No Man's Sky just looks like a classic case of quantity over quality.

Don't get me wrong. It is greeeeeeeat that it has that many planets, but the game just looks super basic, otherwise, and you can only really go "wow", so many times, before you really start to find the trends.

Then again, I also don't like Skyrim or Fallout, so what do I know?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
While I am very much on board of so fucking what if you got a few trillion planets, what do I do on them ... I also think that of minecraft but that makes so much money Markus Persson can Scrooge McDuck swan dive into his cash.

There is also thousands upon thousands of hours of video on youtube of people fucking round in minecraft, so I have no doubt that people will fall in love with this game.

People spend thousands of hours in Gmod and that is a little more than a physics engine.

No matter what people can spend plenty of time with nothing to do....

Lacedaemonius

Mar 10, 2016
Mangod said:
Cowabungaa said:
Mangod said:
I think a better way to formulate this discussion would be "Is there a reason to do anything in the game, other than just doing them? What's the in-game motivation?"

Lacedaemonius seems to be concerned that, while there's stuff to do, there's no internal motivation for it.
I stated that very motivation in that same post you quoted; to explore. You need better and better stuff to go further and further. Most of the activities are ways to get better stuff. To explore is, I hope, the only motivation I'll need.
So, exploring just for the sake of exploring? There's no end goal? Because for a lot of people, that can be a dealbreaker.
Prepare for some high-minded rhetoric about defining your own objectives, that misses your point completely.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Lacedaemonius said:
Mangod said:
Cowabungaa said:
Mangod said:
I think a better way to formulate this discussion would be "Is there a reason to do anything in the game, other than just doing them? What's the in-game motivation?"

Lacedaemonius seems to be concerned that, while there's stuff to do, there's no internal motivation for it.
I stated that very motivation in that same post you quoted; to explore. You need better and better stuff to go further and further. Most of the activities are ways to get better stuff. To explore is, I hope, the only motivation I'll need.
Prepare for some high-minded rhetoric about defining your own objectives, that misses your point completely.
I dunno. I mean, this:

Cowabungaa said:
Yup. I'm perfectly fine with that being a dealbreaker for a lot of people. I never figured this game being a big mainstream title anyway. But I like to boldly go, as it were. Channel my inner Kirk. It also helps that the soundtrack is provided by one of my favourite post-rock bands.
seems like a perfectly reasonable response to me.

Lacedaemonius

Mar 10, 2016
Mangod said:
Lacedaemonius said:
Mangod said:
Cowabungaa said:
Mangod said:

I dunno. I mean, this:

Cowabungaa said:
seems like a perfectly reasonable response to me.
Yes, that does sound perfectly reasonable.

Too Many Secrets

Jul 8, 2016
I don't know how NMS will be out of the box, but it's hard to believe that it won't become something impressive with mods and expansions. Given how little there is the genre-space for this kind of title right now, I'm not sure that we can afford to be so picky that we're judging per-release.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I never figured this game being a big mainstream title anyway.
I keep seeing this being brought up by people who defend the game, and I think it's a real good explanation for why we're seeing so much push-back to the concept of No Man's Sky - the game has been getting the hype of a mainstream title, without actually having the functional backend to be presented as a mainstream title.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the developers themselves have been generating this hype (because that's another thing that constantly gets shouted back at me, that they've been really humble and straight-forward so where is all this hype that you're talking about coming from guys geez), but the talk surrounding the game in the gaming community has been building it up more and more, and exciting people who thought there would be more to it that "explore for the sake of exploring", and now that it seems like that's basically going to be the game, that excitement is deflating like so much air escaping out a balloon.

EDIT: That having been said, it also bears wondering what one considers to be "mainstream" in the first place. As mentioned, both Minecraft and Garry's Mod have been hugely popular, and functionally they wouldn't be too terribly different from what No Man's Sky appears to be. (Though I do question how popular the aforementioned titles would've been without Youtube.)

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Cowabungaa said:
I never figured this game being a big mainstream title anyway.
I keep seeing this being brought up by people who defend the game, and I think it's a real good explanation for why we're seeing so much push-back to the concept of No Man's Sky - the game has been getting the hype of a mainstream title, without actually having the functional backend to be presented as a mainstream title.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the developers themselves have been generating this hype (because that's another thing that constantly gets shouted back at me, that they've been really humble and straight-forward so where is all this hype that you're talking about coming from guys geez), but the talk surrounding the game in the gaming community has been building it up more and more, and exciting people who thought there would be more to it that "explore for the sake of exploring", and now that it seems like that's basically going to be the game, that excitement is deflating like so much air escaping out a balloon.

EDIT: That having been said, it also bears wondering what one considers to be "mainstream" in the first place. As mentioned, both Minecraft and Garry's Mod have been hugely popular, and functionally they wouldn't be too terribly different from what No Man's Sky appears to be. (Though I do question how popular the aforementioned titles would've been without Youtube.)
I've actually kind of wondered whether going the route of E3, the partnership with Sony, etc, is going to do the game more good or ill in the long run, from a PR point of view. (Personally, the partnership means I get to get a physical copy, so that's a win for me! xP)

On the one hand, the E3 stage time and spotlight are going to help keep what's otherwise a small, indie space title from getting swallowed up by the hype for an established IP like Elite: Dangerous, or the famous/infamous Star Citizen. Bottom line, it got a lot of eyeballs on this game. But that meant it got eyeballs from folks who just wouldn't be interested in this sort of title, and presumably got sick of seeing/hearing about it, especially when it was presented with a similar level of prominence as major AAA titles that follow a more traditional structure. I also think sony's got a biiiit of a hand on the wheel when it comes to the marketing and presentation of the game, as Sean Murray once said (at least half jokingly) that he'd been advised not to use the word 'boring,' with regards to the fact that the game would obviously have a quieter pace, and likely stretches that aren't exciting in the traditional sense. I'm somewhat concerned the hype, coupled with a AAA publisher 'partner's' reluctance to show the game as the quieter, long-term time sink it's likely to be will ultimately derail it.

As for the concept of mainstream, I think it can be tricky to say what's a guaranteed success/failure until it's after the fact. I mean, we can draw probabilities, make educated guesses, but... well, from a technical standpoint, Minecraft (especially the earliest versions,) wasn't a complex game. Pretty much anyone with even a little talent could have created it pretty easily, probably a fair while before it was finally made, but they didn't because nobody thought it would turn into this colossal success. For Notch, it was just something to tinker with.

I'm not saying No Man's Sky is going that same direction, i.e. super massive success, just that Minecraft's massive popularity wasn't anticipated until years after its initial inception. And its sources of inspiration were games that ranged from solidly popular- Rollarcoaster Tycoon, Dungeon Keeper, etc- to truly obscure stuff like Infiniminer and Dwarf Fortress. There was nothing in its pedigree to indicate how big it would become.

And that ultimately boils down to user engagement; titles that some consider brilliant, dazzling, intoxicating, etc, others would label pedestrian, uninspired, utter trash even. Even Minecraft isn't safe from this, I know people who literally don't 'get' Minecraft, and think it's stupid and doesn't deserve its success. It's how The Last of Us can simultaneously have a metric boatload of perfect reviews, but also a fairly solid group of people who insist it's the most boring thing ever. It's why I can't be bothered to play any kind of racing game that isn't Mario Kart, because I consider it the second most boring genre on the planet, the first being sports games. xP Every game is going to engage some, and fail to engage others.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I was hyped whilst I was under the impression the game was an MMO... But then the devs said that the game is so big you would never even cross any other players, then they said that even when you knew where another player was it would take too long to get to them and the planets themselves are too big... And it sounded like the devs just kept making up excuses as to why it more or less isn't MP. I think the devs at this point have pretty much said the game just flat out isn't MP and players can't see each other. That's lame IMO, a SP game in a world so big has no appeal to me, maybe once people point it out enough the devs will fix it in the sequel.

Honestly, I'd rather have a world a million times smaller but be an MMO than one this size where you just look at wild life, mine minerals and fight NPC's all on your own.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Eh, I try not to hold a vocal fandom against a work of art. I'd be hard-pressed to enjoy anything otherwise.

But I suppose NMS' vocal fanbase has been touting the game's hypothetical merits pretty loudly yeah. It's the "This is going to change so much/be so different!" language that gets most people I reckon. No matter what medium, when such things are started being said, no matter if they're true or not, it gets push-back. Partially because people are assume marketing hype, even if it's just the fanbase though Sony getting involved here didn't help I reckon, and perhaps partially because deep down we're all not that fond of change.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
shrekfan246 said:
Eh, I try not to hold a vocal fandom against a work of art. I'd be hard-pressed to enjoy anything otherwise.
That's your prerogative, though there's no denying that a lot of people do tend to get sick of something the more they constantly hear about it, regardless of its relative quality. At least personally, it even goes both ways -
I have no interest in Marvel's movies anymore thanks to how much the internet collectively wouldn't shut up about them, while conversely my fondness for the Star Wars prequels has largely just been bolstered by the fact that the internet couldn't let go how "terrible" they are.

But I suppose NMS' vocal fanbase has been touting the game's hypothetical merits pretty loudly yeah. It's the "This is going to change so much/be so different!" language that gets most people I reckon. No matter what medium, when such things are started being said, no matter if they're true or not, it gets push-back. Partially because people are assume marketing hype, even if it's just the fanbase though Sony getting involved here didn't help I reckon, and perhaps partially because deep down we're all not that fond of change.
Fundamentally, I think part of the issue is also that the rhetoric seems to be pure hyperbole. From where I saw it, at least, No Man's Sky looked poised to bring the space sim genre to the "mainstream" (er, again?), but as its release date gets closer and closer it honestly just kinda looks like it's Minecraft crossed with Elite: Dangerous. It's not really doing much that hasn't been done before, it looks like it's not doing anything with any more depth than has been done before, and it's really been playing up the "explore!" thing, which I think is still a hard sell to make to people; "walking simulators" get derided for a reason, again despite their relative quality.

Exploration for the sake of exploration might be good enough for you and other people championing the title, but to a pretty large proportion of people it is just boring to wander around and see the sights. Given the number of eyes that No Man's Sky has grabbed thanks to rather higher profile marketing than most indie titles receive, that means a lot of disappointment as people realize that it's probably not going to be a game for them.

Hyena200

Jun 1, 2016
sniddy said:
Personally I'm still waiting on the mandate...I have high hopes even if I do think it looks stuck in development hell
Ummm... its gone gold. It comes out in 3 weeks. How is it 'stuck in development hell'?