No Man's Sky: Proving that User Reviews are Useless

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
CritialGaming said:
Einspanner said:
This was one of those well-written reviews I was talking about above. The reviewer didn't like the game, but none of his points felt like fan-boy rage or anything like that. Everything written here seems genuine and well put together. It highlights a lot of flaws in the game and seems like something people should read before rushing out to buy the game.

NMS overall seems to have a very specific target audience in mind. And you really have to be part of that audience to "get it", casual players are going to get bored.

I definitely get why people could easily get bored with this game, but that user's review did seem to have a "put the hype in its place" tone to it. Did he mistype when saying he visited only 3 planets? It seems like to get anywhere near the center of the galaxy you'd be visiting far more than that, not to mention being able to accumulate the feedback needed for such a critique.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Einspanner said:
Saelune said:
When it mellows out they are actually useful. Also helps when looking at reviews for games that aren't over-hyped.

I use Steam User-Reviews for games I am unsure about. But you have to ya know, use your own sense and logic when reading them.
Yeah, if you're not cherrypicking the worst, and actually use your mental filters like you normally would, it's pretty useful. The people who love it, love it, and aren't claiming anything that the people who hate it aren't. Both agree that it's basically a big, empty, place to explore and stick your name on stuff. The people who are excited by that, and not bothered by FOV issues, repetitive and shallow gameplay, are genuinely excited.

A good tip is to sort user reviews by "Most helpful"

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/no-mans-sky/user-reviews

Example:

Illuvial who gave it a 3/10 said:
And yet the Metacritic system doesn't display that. In order what's "front paged" is: fanboy, PR shill, fanboy, fanboy in Spanish, fanboy, legitimate negative review, troll.

And it's funny since this year had so much "the critics are wrong" "crowdsourcing is the best results" that the first impressions contains subjective but reasoned critique along with a general assessment that's useful (from the sound of it, it looks like the relaxing game that I've been wanting when my WoT teams keep disappointing me), and also IGN.

More to the point, the numeric ratings for both are actually used in the industry and, in this day-and-age of reporting, can color professional reviews. Luckily we're not looking at a normal situation, since the publisher Sony did this as a hype exercise (mission accomplished) but other places, notably WB, have used metacritic and user scores to punish devs. In a system where points given out by Chris Hardwick have more meaning.

BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Learned that long time ago, you can't trust user reviews or critics. The only person that can convince you to buy a game is yourself.
A lack of a functioning heads-up system really leaves you at the mercy of the industry PR machine

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Anyone that rates a game 0-4 after spending over 24 hours on it deserves to be ignored.

if a game can grip you that long, its nowhere below a 5. It evidently captured your interest for a whole day.

If a games really bad, I usually give it up in less than 2 hours.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
Einspanner said:
This was one of those well-written reviews I was talking about above. The reviewer didn't like the game, but none of his points felt like fan-boy rage or anything like that. Everything written here seems genuine and well put together. It highlights a lot of flaws in the game and seems like something people should read before rushing out to buy the game.

NMS overall seems to have a very specific target audience in mind. And you really have to be part of that audience to "get it", casual players are going to get bored.

I definitely get why people could easily get bored with this game, but that user's review did seem to have a "put the hype in its place" tone to it. Did he mistype when saying he visited only 3 planets? It seems like to get anywhere near the center of the galaxy you'd be visiting far more than that, not to mention being able to accumulate the feedback needed for such a critique.
He never says he got to the center of the galaxy. This is merely reporting on what he has experienced thus far.

Raddra said:
Anyone that rates a game 0-4 after spending over 24 hours on it deserves to be ignored.

if a game can grip you that long, its nowhere below a 5. It evidently captured your interest for a whole day.

So you basically have to ignore every professional review everywhere. Because they will sink 10-60 hours into a game they hate to make sure they review it properly. Amateur reviewers tend to exaggerate their play time to give more credibility to their statements. Which is why they are amateur I suppose. But so long as what they say seems to come from some sort of sense, i will ignore their playtimes and simply process what they are saying for good information.

Caedite Eos

Aug 2, 2016
hanselthecaretaker said:
CritialGaming said:
Einspanner said:

That seems like missing the point, especially when the pitch is, "Spend many many MANY more hours of doing what you've already done, with only procedural variations in cosmetics to break the pace, because I don't remember Peter Molyneux's 'Curiosity'!"

It's not like game mechanics are going to spring into being as you trudge the interminable distance to the galactic core; you're gather to upgrade your gathering tools and storage to gather more. What exactly do you imagine is in the "center" of the galaxy?

My guess is, a little easter egg.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Caedite Eos said:
What exactly do you imagine is in the "center" of the galaxy?

My guess is, a little easter egg.
Nothing worth the time getting there, that's for sure.

My guess would be a stats screen of sorts showing how many planets you visited, animals you saw, how many people came across your worlds, etc.
Maybe even a nice map of the universe displaying your path taken.

Or if I'm to be really pessimistic; a message with some quote that boils down to; "It's about the journey, not the destination.".

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
inu-kun said:
After spending about 200 hours on No Man's Sky I can safely attest to the fact that it feels as though there isn't any point to what you do in the game.
You'd think after a tenth of it he'll realize it, probably had to spend so much time to be completely sure.
....Has the game even been out for over 200 hours? Even if he got a leaked copy which came out like what, just over a week ago? That still means the guy put at least a good few 24 hour sessions in which is a bit on the extreme side. Unless this guy is pulling everyone's leg and we're taking him too seriously haha

But regardless its all bullcrap I wouldn't trust though.

Judging from what I've read and seen, it's essentially a survival game at heart with light sandbox and space-sim elements, and you'll only enjoy it if stuff like that tickles your fancy, otherwise you'll end up being bored out of your mind.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
*SIGH* That's why you ignore the asshats and edgelords, and you look for the reviews that go in depth about what was good and what was bad. Sorry if you have to do some homework on your part, but those cretins do not suddenly invalidate "non professionals".

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Well, user reviews are a decent general indicator about a game's state.

No Man's Sky, for example, a lot of people feel very betrayed about the last minute "It's not actually multiplayer!", thing.

So, it's understandable there's going to be some backlash. So, you kinda have to consider these things.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Raddra said:

Just because you're "interested" in continuing to see something that doesn't make it "good".

Also, your standards for giving up on something aren't universal.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
The reviews so far are complaining because, apparently, there's not much to do.

This, of course, leads to the question,"Are all hype-mongers born with a spike in their brain?" The game was never touted as being the next Skyrim or Witcher 3 people. It was always going to be an Elite: Dangerous/Starbound-style exploitative sandbox game.

Also, anyone who gives a functional game a 0 deserves to be crucified by Metacritic and left in the Sahara Desert.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
Rangaman said:

This, of course, leads to the question,"Are all hype-mongers born with a spike in their brain?" The game was never touted as being the next Skyrim or Witcher 3 people. It was always going to be an Elite: Dangerous/Starbound-style exploitative sandbox game.

Also, anyone who gives a functional game a 0 deserves to be crucified by Metacritic and left in the Sahara Desert.
Unless, you know, they just really dislike the idea of a big Skinner Box, who's designer forgot to include a reward mechanism that works for most of us?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Learned that long time ago, you can't trust user reviews or critics. The only person that can convince you to buy a game is yourself.
So, how do you pick what games to buy, out of curiosity? Screenshots? Gameplay videos that may or may not reflect the game actually released? Trailers? Press releases?

Or do you just buy games blind and hope they end up good?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Raddra said:

It's also possible they were trying to play for a decent amount of time to head off complaints of "You obviously didn't play long enough" and "You were just about to get to the good part".

Hell, I've seen people that whine that a review was worthless because the reviewer didn't complete a game, regardless of the reason for non-completion(such as bugs, a final section that was way too frustrating, was contemplating suicide out of sheer boredom, game doesn't actually have an ending...).

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Einspanner said:
Rangaman said:

Unless, you know, they just really dislike the idea of a big Skinner Box, who's designer forgot to include a reward mechanism that works for most of us?
Whose, not who's. Anyway, what did you expect? It was always a sandbox. If you bought it regardless, that's your fault for being a bellend, not the game's fault for being what it advertised. Reward system? Are you one of those achievement junkies?

If you mean an in-game reward, what should they reward you with?

Has it occurred to you that you are looking for the wrong qualities in this game?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'll say it regardless of how elitist it sounds:

Most people, whether they watch movies or play games or listen to music or whatever, have neither the care nor the ability to concern themselves with a work's quality outside of their own personal taste. To put it in the simple example that I always use; the fact that I don't care in the slightest about football doesn't mean that FIFA is then a shitty game.

That's why if I look at user reviews I only pick out those that either go beyond their own tastes or acknowledge their tastes and clearly review something within those boundaries. Or, y'know, funny bullshit. I fondly remember the Steam User Reviews of DayZ, those were some good laughs...
fisheries said:
Find a reviewer who has similar opinions to you, and they'll give you a better impression. Alternatively, watch it on Youtube.
No, not similar opinions. That way you just nestle yourself in an echo chamber. More like find a reviewer who can quantify his opinions, acknowledges his tastes and is willing to judge something regardless of his tastes. Those people make for good and useful reviewers.