No Mans Sky tips.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
So everybody knows In No Mans Sky that bypass chips are valuable...

But did you know you can pulse jump away from aggroed freighters before the sentinals arrive? Dont shoot the turrets just crack a container and leg it!

Or that you can escape extreme weather and storms by hiding in caves.... but those caves can be manmade with your grenades.

Got any tips for me?

INB4 troll says 'yeah dont buy the game lololol'

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I would say possible spoilers, but really, there's barely anything that can be spoiled about the game as far as I know. And what there is, I won't be spoiling.

Press melee, then immediately use your jetpack. Gives you a huge speed boost while jet-packing.

Save your atlas stones if you want to finish the atlas path! You need 10 of them to finish it, and you get exactly 10 from said path. Otherwise you'll have to search for traders that sell them and they will cost 2 mil or more.

On that note, finishing the atlas path is helpful if you want to reach the center. At the end, black holes will be marked on the galactic map for you without asking Nada. You only jump about 400ly from warp jumps, but 1500ly on average with black holes.

If you're looking for a new ship, don't wait in a hangar/trade post for ages. The same ships will spawn over and over again. After you've seen like 6~8 different ships, fly away for a few seconds and come back. New ships will spawn. Same goes for what you can buy from said ships.

For best money making: Find a planet with sac venom on it, and search for trading posts/markets. Install the shotgun addon for your multitool (forgot the name), and shoot the sacs with the boltcaster. It destroys them in 1 shot, because of that sentinels don't aggro, and you can snipe them from far away.

Don't farm for the atlas pass v2/3. What you find behind those doors is useless. It's nice if you happen to stumble upon the blueprint, but that's about it.

Install all warp drive upgrades. Different coloured stars need different warp drive upgrades. And more rare resources spawn on 'higher' colours. The order is Yellow (starter star) -> Red -> Green -> Blue.

Don't let your multitool overheat to where it cools down on it's own. Stop shooting for half a second so the animation stops, then continue. It resets the entire heat bar.

Really, don't hurry to the center. There is no need. (Not 'that's not the goal of the game'. I really mean 'there is no need'.)

If you need to find an anomaly (space station with nada on it), explore planets a little bit. Scan some animals, clear some buildings, etc. THEN warp to the next star. The anomaly only has a chance to spawn (or at least a higher chance) if you explore stuff a bit in star systems.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
You should probably follow the story waypoints at least until you get the Atlas Pass 1 blueprint. As this will allow you to get a suit slot upgrade at every space station. (Barring that, you can scan for shelters at the beacons you use the bypass chips on to potentially spawn drop pods which also contain them).

The lines you see arching through space aren't a VFX glitch. They're trade routes. This can be used to more readily find ships to pirate upon. Or simply to follow to trade-ports on planets to have a good early landing spot.

If you get scanned by pirates yourself, look around quickly to see if you can spot their incoming pulse circles. You can usually wipe out some (or even all) of them with a decent photon cannon burst before they even start flying about by catching them as they come in.

The layer upgrades (and the water breathing membrane) will actually allow your hazmat/oxygen to recharge itself while they're active, giving you 2 independent layers of protection. Also, shielding plate recipes are particularly useful for the water breathing, as they let you convert the iron (which is more available underwater then other oxides) into protection.

Putting related technology in slots next to each other gives it a boost. You can see the coloured outline around the slots noting the grouping effect.

Dismantle upgrades in your multitool/ship before buying a new one and you'll get rebates of the materials used for the upgrade. This does make the cost of a new multitool/ship increase slightly, as it operates on a difference, but units are easier to come by then rare minerals and items.

Fly upside down and you can usually (I'm not sure if any cockpits have a ceiling) see the ground better to note points of interest. Also you can look around independently of the ships steering with right stick on controller.

Large ship have noticably wider turning radius then smaller ones. Since slots don't seem to scale, you might as well go for the smaller ship, unless you really like the aesthetic of the bigger one.

You have a small system radar in space mode in the bottom-center of the cockpit. This can help you figure out what direction a planet is in and sometimes note planets behind a planet blocking your vision.

The Survival milestone can't be done in fragments. You have to be in extreme conditions for that entire duration (its dumb, considering the highest stages require 8 hours real time apparently, and this bars you from large parts of gameplay and can be disabled by walking under a tiny overhang by accident). Stage 3 (not the 8 hour one, fortunately) is required at one point for the story missions.

Your ship flies faster as you gain altitude and the atmosphere thins out, culminating in orbital velocity. A long distance target may be more effectively reached by flying up at an angle to use higher speeds then heading back down. When ascending, you can see your current angle relative to the surface at the right side of the cockpit view. You can also use this to combat pirates, by luring them down into the upper atmosphere where they'll also get slowed down if you have trouble keeping track of them, though they seem to break off if you fully enter the planets atmosphere.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Seth Carter said:
Your ship flies faster as you gain altitude and the atmosphere thins out, culminating in orbital velocity. A long distance target may be more effectively reached by flying up at an angle to use higher speeds then heading back down. When ascending, you can see your current angle relative to the surface at the right side of the cockpit view. You can also use this to combat pirates, by luring them down into the upper atmosphere where they'll also get slowed down if you have trouble keeping track of them, though they seem to break off if you fully enter the planets atmosphere.
I had two sentinel starships follow me down to a planet once back when fighting two was usually too hard and they were super easy to kill in atmosphere, the AI doesnt seem to handle the slower flight speed well so fighting ships on planets is rather easy.

And on that same note I noticed that when attacking ships around planetary trading posts, though this may be an exploit, there seems to be something wrong with starships on planets calling for help. They keep giving you the notification of a distress signal but nothing ever arrives, so if you are weak but want copper, fight on planets.

All these tips are great!

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Fieldy409 said:
And on that same note I noticed that when attacking ships around planetary trading posts, though this may be an exploit, there seems to be something wrong with starships on planets calling for help. They keep giving you the notification of a distress signal but nothing ever arrives, so if you are weak but want copper, fight on planets.

All these tips are great!
Yeah, I think its a glitch. Ships (as I mentioned) seem to cut off at the final level of atmosphere. So if you attack down there, its calling ground Sentinels, which won't/can't attack the starship instead.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Fieldy409 said:
Got any tips for me?

Well I was gonna say get the Steam refund before your 2 hours are up, but you've more-or-less preempted me.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
MHR said:
Fieldy409 said:
Got any tips for me?

Well I was gonna say get the Steam refund before your 2 hours are up, but you've more-or-less preempted me.
Yup haha. too late now I am *checks steam* 28 hours in. What the heeeell Ive put more than a day in! Fuck me I have no life.

And yet still a lot of these tips are useful to me, Ive yet to see a blackhole or an anomaly, or an extreme planet(except for a planet that got extreme cold at night).

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
I've got to double down on the whole 'Don't Do The Whole Get To The Center Of The Galaxy' thing, and instead suggest setting whatever other goals you can think of. In my experience, the sheer number of jumps and black holes needed to reach it mean a fairly constant grind for warp cell building materials, detracting from the game's stronger elements (i.e., relaxed exploration,) and ultimately, it's kind of unlikely you'll find the effort worth what's there.

In my case, I've found a delightful solar system that I'm deeming 'home base,' and I'm just kind of going to settle down here. Explore the half dozen or so planets and moons in it, (already found an inactive ground portal on one, so if either portals become functional, or some super secret way to turn them on is revealed, I'm literally sitting on one!) I'm going to roam the surfaces of each world, eventually try picking a fight with a Sentinel battleship, and do some very light exploring of the surrounding solar systems, (but never losing sight of my home system.) Whenever updates like bases and freighters happen, this will be where I take advantage of them.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
SeventhSigil said:
I've got to double down on the whole 'Don't Do The Whole Get To The Center Of The Galaxy' thing, and instead suggest setting whatever other goals you can think of. In my experience, the sheer number of jumps and black holes needed to reach it mean a fairly constant grind for warp cell building materials, detracting from the game's stronger elements (i.e., relaxed exploration,) and ultimately, it's kind of unlikely you'll find the effort worth what's there.

In my case, I've found a delightful solar system that I'm deeming 'home base,' and I'm just kind of going to settle down here. Explore the half dozen or so planets and moons in it, (already found an inactive ground portal on one, so if either portals become functional, or some super secret way to turn them on is revealed, I'm literally sitting on one!) I'm going to roam the surfaces of each world, eventually try picking a fight with a Sentinel battleship, and do some very light exploring of the surrounding solar systems, (but never losing sight of my home system.) Whenever updates like bases and freighters happen, this will be where I take advantage of them.
Yeah I found a sweet system for piracy, 5 worlds counting moons and the space station has starred titanium plus good prices for most of the loot from pillaging the bountiful freighters that sometimes spawn right outside it. Im getting pretty rich, although im curious to find how much value Sac Venom is if I can find one..

So not sure whether to stay or wander more.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm guessing this is a bit of a dumb question, but; what actually ARE you in this game? Like, are you a human, or an alien, or what?

And if you're human, then where are all the other humans?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I found a planet littered with what appeared to be facehugger eggs, only they contain pearls instead. You can harvest them for a great deal of money, but it really pisses off the Sentinels. Getting back into your ship and taking off resets the Sentinel meter, so you can exploit this by grabbing some pearls, taking off for a few seconds and landing back down again.

IceForce said:
I'm guessing this is a bit of a dumb question, but; what actually ARE you in this game? Like, are you a human, or an alien, or what?

There's what appears to be a human player model [https://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/No-Mans-Sky-player-625x350.jpg] buried somewhere within the game's code, but it's currently inactive (probably explains why those two streamers that met up couldn't see each other).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
IceForce said:

Its sort of loosely implied you were dead or dying, and Atlas somehow rebuilds such people into travellers. Traveller logs seem to indicate the Traveller's can't exist outside their exosuit and find something about their condition severely unnatural.

Some of the ruins mention a world that fought against the Sentinels and was completely wiped out as a result. While it could be the Vy'keen homeworld, as they do fight the Sentinels, its likely the Travellers' origin point. The Vy'keen also consider the Traveller's holy pilgrims of a sort, which indicates they probably aren't Vy'keen.