No Man's Sky Wins GDC Award, But No-one Was There to Accept it

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Sounds like the developer community wanted to throw them a pity award and even Hello Games knew they didn't deserve it.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
ryan_cs said:
aegix drakan said:
ryan_cs said:
Ok, you know how NMS has a lot of huge sized planets, 18 quintillion according to the wiki,across several galaxies? That's why.
So it wins an award for innovation by being...3D Starbound, but with less to do?

That seems backwards for an innovation award.
Well, Starbound only has around 13 quadrillion planets, NMS is literaly several magnitude bigger than Starbound, AND it's also in 3D.

This article talks about the largest game worlds, part of it talks about how NMS generates that many worlds. It's probably not be 100% how NMS handles it, but you might still find the article interesting:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=33711
Isn't this kind of like giving the "Most Innovative Chef"-award to the guy who serves his soup in a water barrel instead of a soupbowl?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Mangod said:
ryan_cs said:
aegix drakan said:
ryan_cs said:
Ok, you know how NMS has a lot of huge sized planets, 18 quintillion according to the wiki,across several galaxies? That's why.
So it wins an award for innovation by being...3D Starbound, but with less to do?

That seems backwards for an innovation award.
Well, Starbound only has around 13 quadrillion planets, NMS is literaly several magnitude bigger than Starbound, AND it's also in 3D.

This article talks about the largest game worlds, part of it talks about how NMS generates that many worlds. It's probably not be 100% how NMS handles it, but you might still find the article interesting:
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=33711
Isn't this kind of like giving the "Most Innovative Chef"-award to the guy who serves his soup in a water barrel instead of a soupbowl?
Bland soup, at that. I'd've given it to any other developer who put real work into their game. Hell, I'd've given it to The Last Guardian as a congratulatory "Nice work guys... You made it! Nobody thought you'd finish the game, but here you are and it's gorgeous!". Years of work and damn but they delivered. Ah well.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MC1980 said:
Well, they did innovate in ways to con people out of money for a glorified indie game.
Nah. Broken Age did that. And its ironic as hell that Tim Schafer is the host of the GDC.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
AzrealMaximillion said:
MC1980 said:
Well, they did innovate in ways to con people out of money for a glorified indie game.
Nah. Broken Age did that. And its ironic as hell that Tim Schafer is the host of the GDC.
Thanks for reminding me of the TS DownComing...

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
VincentX3 said:
Maybe they were there but they just couldn't see them.
they wereally there. Just the chance of actually seeing them was so small nobody could

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Innovation on how to like in interviews and misrepresent their product maybe.

They don't deserve it, no matter what else they accomplished.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Is this considered being a poor sport?

I mean, noting the absence implies they were invited, which means that they made the decision not to attend the ceremony because they weren't going to win anything. I know we have some pretty mixed opinions about the merit of these ceremonies existing to start with....but it still strikes me as being a poor sport.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I guess the only thing they innovated was in polishing a turd.
The Rogue Wolf said:
Maybe Hello Games could hire someone to bring the award to their office. AND THEN THEY'D GET A LESSON ON HOW TO DELIVER ho ho ho ho ho.
I nominate you for Burn of The Year.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How the hell did they win a GDC award? No Man's Sky was just another $15-20 indie survival game charged as a full priced AAA title. It did nothing, but build false hype and waste everyone's time.