No Man's Sky Wins Lawsuit Against "Sky" Trademark Holder

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Man's Sky Wins Lawsuit Against "Sky" Trademark Holder

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/778/778775.jpg
Yes, Sky TV claims to own the word "Sky", and almost forced No Man's Sky to change its name.

Frivilous lawsuits over who owns what words crop up every so often in the gaming world. There was the one with No Man's Sky [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131475-Candy-Crush-Saga-Studio-Trademarks-the-Word-Candy], and British broadcasting network "Sky TV" - who claims to own the word "Sky".

Thankfully common sense has prevailed this time, and Hello Games boss Sean Murray has confirmed that after a three-year-long secret legal battle, SkyTV has agreed to settle, allowing the game to keep its name.

"We finally settled with Sky (they own the word "Sky")," Tweeted Murray [https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/743928033942315009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]. "We can call our game No Man's Sky. 3 years of secret stupid legal nonsense over."

If you are right now scoffing at your computer monitor, thinking "Of course common sense would prevail! There is no way a court would rule in Sky's favor over the word 'Sky'," then it may interest you to know that in January 2014, Sky forced Microsoft to change the name of its cloud-storage service from Skydrive to Onedrive.

So No Man's Sky will continue to be No Man's Sky (instead of No Man's One), at least until some crackpot claims to own the word "Man".

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/743928033942315009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Okay, we really need to make it that companies cannot copyright common words like "Sky" and "Play". It's so insanely stupid that America's copyright system hasn't been fixed to avoid this idiocy, although I am glad that the copyright offices have at least kept most of the common words safe. "Sky" should not be copyrighted.

It's also good that No Man's Sky isn't being tampered with by copyright idiocy as well. I look forward to this game when it comes out to PC.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Ok so i know the copyright, trademark, patent etc culture is incredibly stupid and broken, but how in the hell can you copyright the dam word sky, soon the word air or dirt will be next on the list, Sky TV makes sense as a copyright, but no the word sky, and they are 2 different mediums copyright should not destroy every single medium that has no connection.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Mr.Mattress said:
Okay, we really need to make it that companies cannot copyright common words like "Sky" and "Play".
See, "SkyTV" would be a perfectly valid trademark, since it's very distinct. But just the word "Sky"? That's when we know you're trolling. Under no circumstances would a normal person confuse "No Man's Sky" with "SkyTV"; the entire purpose of trademarking is supposed to be keeping other entities from undermining or taking advantage of your brand's name.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Excuse me. I need to go file some trademark applications after reading the end of this article (twirls mustache evilly while walking away laughing...)

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Steven Bogos said:
So No Man's Sky will continue to be No Man's Sky (instead of No Man's One), at least until some crackpot claims to own the word "Man".
Claiming ownership of the word Man? Nah not gonna happen.

Claiming "No Man's Sky" is sexist, on account of the word Man, and should be changed to the gender neutral "No Person's Sky" seems MUCH more likely.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Step 1) Create a company named "The Inc"
Step 2) Copyright the name
Step 3) Profit

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, looks like someone just...took the Edge off.

Again. Well, they deserved it. Idiots.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Burnhardt said:
Steven Bogos said:

Claiming "No Man's Sky" is sexist, on account of the word Man, and should be changed to the gender neutral "No Person's Sky" seems MUCH more likely.
I now expect Marvel & DC to sue everyone & each other until the rest are force into Political Correctness. Especially when it comes to who ends up being renamed to Wonder Person

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I mean, I'd like to be happy, but I can't help but notice the word: "Settled" in their victory tweet. This leads me to think that rather than the judge taking one look at the case, frowning before giving the prosecuting lawyer a clip 'round the ear and told to bugger off, it's more likely that the developer's paid for the right to use it, either by a lump sum or worse, royalties...

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Like many others here, despite seeing some of the mind boggling stupidity of copyright laws, the laws still find new ways to absolutely shock me. The lawyers working for Sky can go fuck themselves.

On an unrelated note ...

Burnhardt said:
Steven Bogos said:

Jacked Assassin said:
Burnhardt said:
Steven Bogos said:

I now expect Marvel & DC to sue everyone & each other until the rest are force into Political Correctness. Especially when it comes to who ends up being renamed to Wonder Person
... my god, this fucking site. How does a story about some company making outrageous copyright claims somehow spring up a discussion circle-jerk about sexism and political correctness?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Well, looks like someone just...took the Edge off.

Again. Well, they deserved it. Idiots.
That was magnificent, my good sir. Hats off to you.

I believe we can all agree copyright law could you some revision to prevent claiming common words shenanigans. Then again, those same idiots and media groups like them are incessantly lobbying against any change, so it's probably not going to go away any time soon.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever been bold enough to try to make a copyright claim on Earth.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Good lord. If this isn't further proof that trademark law needs to outright die, I don't know what it.

Apr 25, 2009
Having ownership over common words is stupid. Fair enough if it's a noun you made up and which is established in your work. I wouldn't try to write a book with a main character called Aragorn or Samus Aran. But 'sky'? Crazy.

Weresquirrel said:
I mean, I'd like to be happy, but I can't help but notice the word: "Settled" in their victory tweet. This leads me to think that rather than the judge taking one look at the case, frowning before giving the prosecuting lawyer a clip 'round the ear and told to bugger off, it's more likely that the developer's paid for the right to use it, either by a lump sum or worse, royalties...
Yeah, they were pretty ambiguous. I really hope that's not the case.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
I bet the devs are currently singing:
Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. ;-)

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Okay, we really need to make it that companies cannot copyright common words like "Sky" and "Play".
See, "SkyTV" would be a perfectly valid trademark, since it's very distinct. But just the word "Sky"? That's when we know you're trolling. Under no circumstances would a normal person confuse "No Man's Sky" with "SkyTV"; the entire purpose of trademarking is supposed to be keeping other entities from undermining or taking advantage of your brand's name.
You can trademark it. But it doesn't mean you will win, in fact you will almost definitely lose, if the other party isn't in the same business as you.

Edit: In fact, with trademarks you are obligated to sue just to be on the safe side as you can lose your trademark if you don't defend it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
Like many others here, despite seeing some of the mind boggling stupidity of copyright laws, the laws still find new ways to absolutely shock me. The lawyers working for Sky can go fuck themselves.

On an unrelated note ...

Burnhardt said:
Steven Bogos said:

Jacked Assassin said:
Burnhardt said:
Steven Bogos said:

... my god, this fucking site. How does a story about some company making outrageous copyright claims somehow spring up a discussion circle-jerk about sexism and political correctness?
I think it was a joke. At least I hope so.

OT: Remember how bad the developers got it when this game got delayed? Imagine how bad it would have been for Sky TV and the Judge if NMS lost.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Har! I'd be more worried about the handlers who exploit Grumpy cat to claim ownership over the word, 'no'.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Okay, we really need to make it that companies cannot copyright common words like "Sky" and "Play". It's so insanely stupid that America's copyright system hasn't been fixed to avoid this idiocy, although I am glad that the copyright offices have at least kept most of the common words safe. "Sky" should not be copyrighted.

It's also good that No Man's Sky isn't being tampered with by copyright idiocy as well. I look forward to this game when it comes out to PC.
That would already be the case if the legal people were being consistent, and not just doing stuff on a whim.

Around about 1994 or 1995, intel lost an attempt to claim trademark on '586' (thus, the pentium processor).

But on top of that, as a general rule, trademarks are not universal.

If you make kitchen knives under the name 'sharp edge blades', and somehow trademark 'edge'.
You have absolutely no legal basis for stopping a Computer Game from using 'edge' in it's name. Nor a baker, or someone who makes cars, or planes or whatever.
You will be able to stop other knife makers from using the name, and at a stretch maybe a company making chainsaws or something, but on existing legal principle, that's how it's supposed to work.

Of course... Reality is different these days, hence these constant, stupid lawsuits.
(And certainly a company like 'google' does so many random things their trademark over the world 'google' could well be enforced against allmost anything.)