No More Heroes... why all the praise?

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
So I got No More Heroes the other day, and though I liked some elements of it - the ranked battles, combat, and aesthetics of the game are strong - alot of it was pretty bad, including the nondescript overworld and tiresome mini-games. Moreover, the game is really, really short: it can be completed easily in ten hours, and doesn't neccessarily warrant a second play-through. Does anyone share my thoughts? Or does everyone just think NMH is the pwnz?

In any case, hopefully NMH: Desperate Struggle is a better-rounded product. Suda41 should dash his GTA fixation, too.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
If there were thousands of witty, satirical, intelligently written, and thought provoking games in the world, I agree that No More Heroes would be sub par.

Alas, I'm afraid that's not the case so the game gets a lot of love from me.

Zippy1313

Mar 26, 2008
No more Heroes is the only Wii game that kept my attention long enough to beat it, and now most games are only about 10 hours long. It was at least longer than any God of War game and it is still the best Beam Katana (light saber) game out there.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
It was praised because it was different and satirical. But I do remember many people expressing gripes with the actual gameplay. A lot of people just love Suda41, even though I don't really understand that.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
I enjoyed the text dialogue especially. I remember that the when picking up garbage, the guy who gave me the quest likened me to collecting lost souls. Also, the bosses and combat was pretty fun for me.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Ten hours is short? I thought in our post-Gears of War and post-Call of Duty world, anything more than 5 hours was considered "lengthy".

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Combat, Bosses, Story being, as many have mentioned before, different and satirical, Graphics. Its got a nice rounded out package and stood out as a game I needed to grab. Sure, once I beat it I never touched it again, but then again, I never touched the Wii after I finished that game either. Says alot about that game, to me at least.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
The game was over-the-top, well-written, hilarious and occasionally very difficult. It shall forever have a place of honor upon my shelf.

That said, I haven't touched it since I beat it the first two times.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I found it delightfully wonky and some of the boss battles were truly amazing, the one against the school girl boss and the one legged beach lady were really awesome.

Also it has a lot of similar elements to some of my own work, so I have a soft spot for it. My stuff is a lot less Sex focused though.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Maybe I don't understand what a good game is.
But I liked the mash-it combat; was fun. I like the story; was funny. I liked the mini games (except the land mine one) they mixed it up and were funny. I thought that Santa Destroy could've stood to be a little smaller, but once I figured out how to turbo-charge the tiger schleper (Or whatever it was called) it didn't matter as much.

But after I played through it on the harder difficulty the only time it's been played since, is when my roomnate went thru it.

It has a lot going for it but replay value isn't one of those things

Vires Vox

Oct 16, 2008
NMH was a great game if you were prepared to look past its flaws, those being some of the mini games and the atrociously designed hub. The combat never got old and was always hilarious, I think I played that entire game standing up.
Its flaws can be forgiven for its dynamic and original style, lets hope the sequel fixes some of these problems.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
OK before we waste our time at serious discussion lets make an experiment:

1. stand up and go outside
2. now scream the word "beam katana"
3. feel awesome

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
NMH was actually a game of surprising polish. The little touches, like the cell phone calls before each boss fight, and the old school arcade styling were really impressive.

The combat was mashy, but not entirely without skill requirements. It took timing and quick thinking to do some of the timed fights, and a few of the boss fights even took a certain level of strategy.

But it's the characters that stand out for me. Our Otaku hero wasn't particularly well-developed, but he was loud, obnoxious and liked swords, wrestling and breasts. Tell me you don't know someone like that.
The bosses though, they were pretty interesting. Bad Girl, Holly, and Destroyman are all awesome

Oh and I've only seen one ending, but I was under the impression there were two. So there's some replay value. That Fast-Forward gimmick was hilarious.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
NMH was actually a game of surprising polish.
Uh... what? I said the aesthetics were good; "polish" usually refers to a consistent standard of quality which runs throughout the whole game. Which NMH didn't have.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
EzraPound said:
NMH was actually a game of surprising polish.
Uh... what? I said the aesthetics were good; "polish" usually refers to a consistent standard of quality which runs throughout the whole game. Which NMH didn't have.
Sure it did. It's retro punk style, its voice acting, its cinematics, its' music, animation. All top quality. Polish refers specifically, at least in my mind, to presentation. I think NMH presented itself very well. If there were parts that were poorly designed or un-fun, well I won't dispute that some of the early mini-games were torture. But that has nothing to do with polish.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
L.B. Jeffries said:
If there were thousands of witty, satirical, intelligently written, and thought provoking games in the world, I agree that No More Heroes would be sub par.
Pretty much covers it.

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
No More Heroes is one of my favorite games. The combat was solid, voice acting was good, the overall style was awesome, and it has light sa- *ahem* Beam Katanas.

Dogeman5

Apr 8, 2008
Prons said:
Because it looks like a Japanese cartoon
Moè,
But on a serious note, the combat was fun, the writing was funny, and the hard mode was unforgiving!