No More Settlers? Catan Rebranded For New Edition

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
No More Settlers? Catan Rebranded For New Edition

The latest edition of Catan, formerly Settlers of Catan, rebrands the entire franchise with new card and cover art.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/settlers%20of%20catan?os=settlers+of+catan>Settlers of Catan is widely-recognized as the title that single-handedly revitalized North American board games. Between a core product introducing the resource-rich Catan, to expansions that offered exploration, advanced cities, and pirates, Settlers of Catan games are now so commonplace that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139501-Green-Bay-Packers-Are-Obsessed-With-Settlers-of-Catan> even the Green Bay Packers are obsessed with them. But if you're late to the party and need somewhere to trade your sheep, never fear - a new edition of Settlers of Catan is on the way. Well, except for one minor change: "Settlers" is being dropped to rebrand the game as simply Catan.

Assuming you've been living on a secluded island and a robber stole all the tabletop games, here's Catan in a nutshell: Players attempt to build thriving settlements on the island of Catan while earning victory points to win the game. The twist is that instead of relying on random dice rolls to provide resources, players can trade with each other while tactically expanding their road networks to ensure success. That means other players are still involved in the game when it's not their turn, while giving Catan a cooperative twist ideal for family play. (Although <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139501-Green-Bay-Packers-Are-Obsessed-With-Settlers-of-Catan>you technically can play it competitively if you'd really like.)

The game's rules are essentially unchanged for the new edition, although Catan's rebranding comes with various cosmetic changes. Most of the game art has been redesigned, including new tile, card, and box cover art. Card backs themselves will be the same as the previous Settlers edition. Each Catan box will adopt a portrait design instead of landscape, presumably to save space on display shelves. Dice, wood components, and tile material will remain unchanged, although the rulebook features new graphics.

While the game mechanics are the same - you could probably mix expansion editions without noticing a difference - the new visual designs will be apparent right away. Catan's core game and expansions will follow the exact same product line-up as before. The only real change will be the Catan title branding, which makes sense. After a few games, that's what most players end up calling it anyway.

[gallery=3810]

What do you think of the new title and art? Do you think it's an improvement, or you prefer the style of the previous edition? Regardless, the entire new Catan line reaches store shelves on April 23, 2015.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Why can't they just release the game as a 2-6 player game rather than the stupid extra expansions for every expansion...

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Lord_Jaroh said:
Why can't they just release the game as a 2-6 player game rather than the stupid extra expansions for every expansion...
Because then they get less money from selling you stupid extra expansions for every expansion.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Watch now as Catan - having at last been settled - becomes Diplomacy.

*Shudders*

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
There's already an electronic version that's just called Catan, dropping the Settlers part of the title isn't a new development.

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
Well, it does kind of make sense...

You have Settlers of Catan, Catan Seafarers, Catan Cities and Knights, Catan Traders and Barbarians, Catan Explorers and Pirates... so it really just is bringing the base game in line with the naming convention of the later expansions so it has a unified naming scheme by dropping the Settlers. It will be nice to have it all on a store shelf so people know exactly what to look for (not that they couldn't do that already).

As for the electronic version, I wish they would put out a 6 player expansion for it.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
nickpy said:
Lord_Jaroh said:
Because then they get less money from selling you stupid extra expansions for every expansion.
Which is why I have yet to buy it. I would rather just play my local game stores copy.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Really? I heard this was happening a while ago but has dismissed the rumor due to the reasons being attributed to it and that I couldn't find any kind of confirmation, even obscurely.

The full story is that the game has been being played by members of various armed forces in The Middle East for a while (not just US) and it, and it's name, got the attention of various Islamic groups who found the game inherently offensive. Apparently the name "Catan" is not only similar to "Canaan" but also also what Canaan is called in some documents. The idea being that the nature of the game is inherently pro-Jewish and supports the re-settlement of their lands while at the same time glorifying the initial exile and re-building. While not explicitly Jewish from anything I've ever seen, actually being fairly genetic, I suppose I could vaguely see this point, especially with the Palestinians involved in heavy conflict with Jewish settlers.

Allegedly this is one of the things Islamics talk about when they talk about Jews indoctrinating Americans cleverly from an early age and so on.

At any rate, the rumor was that the guys making the game were getting terrorist threats and were going to change the name of the game as a result. Supossedly they wanted to make the game "The Settlers" but due to the video game series (and Catan video games) couldn't use the name.

That said this took a while since I first heard it, and I'd imagine keeping "Catan" as the name wouldn't make it any less offensive if that was the motivation....

What I'm saying is probably untrue (as I said I was never able to confirm it) but it seems odd to me that they actally are now changing their name down the pipe, when really I can't see why they would want to.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Therumancer said:
The full story is that the game has been being played by members of various armed forces in The Middle East for a while (not just US) and it, and it's name, got the attention of various Islamic groups who found the game inherently offensive. Apparently the name "Catan" is not only similar to "Canaan" but also also what Canaan is called in some documents. The idea being that the nature of the game is inherently pro-Jewish and supports the re-settlement of their lands while at the same time glorifying the initial exile and re-building. While not explicitly Jewish from anything I've ever seen, actually being fairly genetic, I suppose I could vaguely see this point, especially with the Palestinians involved in heavy conflict with Jewish settlers.
Sssh, don't tell them the game was designed by a German dentist who was bored with his job and became fascinated with the history of the Viking Colonisation of Iceland.

OT: Lame. Everyone I know calls it "Settlers".

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Wait, It's not a competitive game? Have I been playing it wrong all these years? :O

OT: Eh, we've always called it Settlers, Catan just sounds stupid.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I always called it Catan, anyway.
And I also remember that, somewhere, I should have still the very first edition of the game and both addons for it. Those that still made every playing piece out of colored wood. The roads were just short sticks, towns a cube with a triangle on top, the thief just a fat, black bowling pin...
Ah, memories.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Fanghawk said:
The twist is that instead of relying on random dice rolls to provide resources, players can trade with each other while tactically expanding their road networks to ensure success. That means other players are still involved in the game when it's not their turn, while giving Catan a cooperative twist ideal for family play.
You what? That's the exact opposite of a "cooperative twist". The whole point is to get the best deal for yourself while screwing everyone else over as much as possible. The game can only have one winner, and any trading is done in order to get yourself closer to that goal than the other players. Cooperative games require players to be working towards the same goal, not competing against each other. Trading really can't be considered a twist either, it's really quite common in this sort of game.

Bindal said:
And I also remember that, somewhere, I should have still the very first edition of the game and both addons for it. Those that still made every playing piece out of colored wood. The roads were just short sticks, towns a cube with a triangle on top, the thief just a fat, black bowling pin...
Ah, memories.
Wait, they have different pieces now?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Fascinating.

I suppose that preserves the old "Do you Catan?" joke from /tg/ [http://1d4chan.org/images/d/d8/Do-you-catan.png].

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
That will finally end the confusion with Blue Byte's buildup strategy series, right?