No more Skyrim DLC

Vegetunks9000

Sep 20, 2011
Looks like Bethesda have stopped development with Skyrim. How do you guys feel about this? I personally would've liked one more DLC as i have so many questions.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
More DLC would have been nice but I have to admit I'm surprised they've churned out a number of them already, you know since the lead artist (or someone like that) passed away. Truthfully I think they were just getting bored with it; look at Oblivion, only two or three DLC in that one.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
If that means Fallout 4, I'll be Bethesda's ***** forever. As much as I loved Skyrim, Fallout 3 was just... well, my picture says it all. I'm kind of disappointing however, they could have really done something great. While Dragonborn was quite good, it just wasn't quite the same as the main game. It was smaller and less densely populated, there was no real reason to explore Solstheim.
I keep meaning to get Skyrim for PC for the mods, so that'll keep my going I suppose. Here's to TES: VI in 2017 or sometime thereabouts -.-

EDIT: They said 'Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio?s full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet' This is why they are my favourite :D

Smashingpass

Jan 10, 2013
Whilst it's a shame we never got a Shivering Isles-sized expansion, I think most of the mods have been better than the DLC. Dragon born was all right, but Dawnguard was dull, and Hearthfire had been done better by the community. I don't think it's any great loss for Bethesda to move on.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Smashingpass said:
Whilst it's a shame we never got a Shivering Isles-sized expansion
On IGN's article on it, a commenter made a good point- they didn't say there was no more DLC, they said that they weren't working on any more. They've had months since Dragonborn, and they must have been doing something in the meantime if you catch my drift...

Evan Lang

Oct 3, 2012
Honestly I'm kinda dissapointed. I was really hoping for a real game changing dlc that adds alot more to the game as i felt that there were some obvious things missing. BUT if that means that they are working on a new project (Hopefully a new fallout game!) then I can deal with it.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
ill be honestly suprised if there is any mod creation ability in their next game
Then begin preparing yourself to be surprised. Bethesda has only ever encouraged Modding, and is one of the very few developers that consistently release construction kits with their games. If they were beholden to external publishers, it's likely you'd be correct. Thankfully, Bethesda Game Studios is pretty much the cash cow of Bethesda Softworks, so they're pretty much able to do what they want.

I also think they're very well aware just how many sales the mods for their games generates for them. Sure, it hurts the DLC sales on the PC, but I guarantee they'd lose more sales if they announced their next game would not be modable.

In short, though modding probably hurts DLC sales on the PC, I can almost guarantee it increases sales of the base game, and, honestly, I'd rather sell a $40 game (current price for Skyrim on Steam) than a $20 expansion. Just good business.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I'm rather glad. I liked Skyrim and all, but I'd much prefer to see new content of the post-apocalyptic shooting rpg sort be produced. Or at the very least, a legitimate, large expansion to Skyrim proper.

Apr 5, 2008
Vegetunks9000 said:
Looks like Bethesda have stopped development with Skyrim. How do you guys feel about this? I personally would've liked one more DLC as i have so many questions.
Any articles about this? First I've heard. I expected maybe another major DLC or two.

Haven't played Dragonborn yet (or bought it) as I'm not in the mood just now. Dawnguard coincided great with a 2nd playthru, but i'm not up to a third just yet.

A team of 2-4 professionals, working for 3-4 months could come up with a decent sized DLC I reckon. That wouldn't affect any Fallout or TESO teams.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I was pretty diappointed with the DLC we got from skyrim. Dragonborn was ok (and I say that just because it was a return to morrowind), Dawnguard was so dull I never finished it, and Hearthfire was disappointing. Price wise the only one I was really happy with was Hearthfire, for what little it did the price tag was reasonable IMO.

So Im not unhappy about getting more sub par DLC but to be fair just about all DLC is way to short and way to overpriced. Its had that reputation for years. I really dont know what they could give us to expand skyrim more.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Its cool with me now all i have to do is wait for the Game of the year edition to come out with all the dlc bundled in it. Afterall it not like the modders are gonna stop anyway so there will be always some new stuff being made for the game(the pc version at least).

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Just be glad they drew a line and are sticking with their principles. With a game as massively popular as Skyrim I don't think I can trust any other developer to be responsible with it's DLC ethics.

I know it's an easy target but can you imagine how Skyrim would have turned out if EA was in charge?

It's better that they ended with dignity, rather than whore themselves out to the masses until you end up losing all respect.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Krantos said:
wombat_of_war said:
ill be honestly suprised if there is any mod creation ability in their next game
Then begin preparing yourself to be surprised. Bethesda has only ever encouraged Modding, and is one of the very few developers that consistently release construction kits with their games. If they were beholden to external publishers, it's likely you'd be correct. Thankfully, Bethesda Game Studios is pretty much the cash cow of Bethesda Softworks, so they're pretty much able to do what they want.

I also think they're very well aware just how many sales the mods for their games generates for them. Sure, it hurts the DLC sales on the PC, but I guarantee they'd lose more sales if they announced their next game would not be modable.

In short, though modding probably hurts DLC sales on the PC, I can almost guarantee it increases sales of the base game, and, honestly, I'd rather sell a $40 game (current price for Skyrim on Steam) than a $20 expansion. Just good business.
I dunno about that. A lot of mods require the latest DLC's and stuff, to be honest there are some NV mods that encouraged me to buy the full recent version over just the base game. For the DLC's. The sort of person who keeps modding and modding away will probably buy the better DLC's.

Now, there is no doubt whatsoever that Hearthfire was a waste of a DLC, for PC players, considering mods that did the same and better already existed, but there are few exceptions to the rule.

OT: Well, This doesn't bother me. I didn't really get into Skyrim, I am still playing NV. Sure, I logged a huge amount of hours in Skyrim, but NV is better imo.

Cannot wait for the next Fallout.

Apr 5, 2008
idarkphoenixi said:
I know it's an easy target but can you imagine how Skyrim would have turned out if EA was in charge?
Oh, you want to use Dragonrend? That'll be $5 please. Thieves and Assassin's Guild quest lines are only available in the Premiere Edition. There'd be a dragonborn hosted competitive multiplayer component! All bows are replaced by M16s, you have to be connected to the Internet at all times to play it and instead of a toolset, you get banned for trying to mod it. But you'd get a suit of Dead Space armour, so it's fine.

As soon as it's released, the studio that made it would be shut down. The next game wouldn't be elsewhere in Tamriel, but instead be Skyrim II and instead of a sandbox, it's a military set-piece shooter.

If Ubisoft made it, you'd have to climb up everything and have a 360 camera spin around you before you jump off. Also you'd unlock a suit of Iron Armour for the Lone Wanderer in Fallout 3.

If Capcom made it, you'd only get 6 races to choose from with the other 3 on the disc, but paid for separately. The controls wouldn't work, the camera would be locked just above your characters shoulder and everyone would look broody.

If Valve made it, it wouldn't be out for another 3 years.

If Rockstar made it, all the horses would be cars, there'd be no PC version, the Dovahkiin would be replaced by the "Gangsta" and you'd have to take Lydia out on 3 dates before she agreed to carry any of your burdens.

If Square Enix made it, all the weapons would be triple the size and the characters replaced by Japenese blue-haired teenagers.

But really, is there any citation for this news? There are great mods out there but a couple more official expansions would be great, not to mention sell well.

Apr 5, 2008
Krantos said:

Pre-EA BioWare used to. Infinity Engine had a toolset, NWN is still played to this day because of its moddability and DA:O came with one too.

And that's not true about modding hurting offical sales. I doubt there's a single legit PC game owner that hasn't got one or both major expansion packs. Modding doesn't in any way affect official release sales. If anything, the extra stuff they add to the gameworld and mods are as desirable as the content itself. It's also easier to appreciate the professional content along side the amateur (as good and polished as much of it is).

I, and every single PC player I know who owns a Bethesda game has every official DLC/expansion as well. I've not bought Dragonborn yet, but only because I'm gonna leave it till a third playthru sometime.

You are right about one thing tho...not releasing a toolset would not only harm sales, it would kill any community from growing around it before it's even released. Look at the Skyrim community; thousands strong, modding and sharing bug fixes, help, advice and tech support on countless web sites. The best any EA game gets now is a sub-forum and a wikia.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
What? But what about the ramifications of the Dominion? I want a war damn it! I wanted there to be different outcomes depending on whether you had an independant or Imperial Skyrim, given the stormcloaks are not prepared to fight a war against the dominion, the Empire are serverly weakened as a result, or if you chose Imperial, a chance that we might actually be able to win!

uhaveachoice81

Mar 31, 2013
elvor0 said:
What? But what about the ramifications of the Dominion? I want a war damn it! I wanted there to be different outcomes depending on whether you had an independant or Imperial Skyrim, given the stormcloaks are not prepared to fight a war against the dominion, the Empire are serverly weakened as a result, or if you chose Imperial, a chance that we might actually be able to win!
The Empire wasn't prepared either. I guess that went way over your head, though.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
uhaveachoice81 said:
elvor0 said:
The Empire wasn't prepared either. I guess that went way over your head, though.
I think I got distracted by something while writing that sentence actually and posted it early. I meant to add the Empire would be in with a chance to win with Skyrim still being part of it, as there's the point that the rebellion in Skyrim was somewhat insinuated as being helped along by the Dominion in order to further weaken the Empire.

Also note the use of the word "chance". I guess that went way over your head, though.