No one plays adventure games anymore?

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Depends on what you qualify as an adventure game.

There's a bunch of sub-categories, like text-adventure, point and click adventure and action-adventure.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Umm Drakes in pretty awesome. I think Peoples qualm with 'adventure" games is that they are very structured, and linear for the purposes of storytelling. And we live in a day where Open worlds and fps's rule. *shrug* Whatever. I still enjoy them.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Tin Man said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Seriously, I joined this forum 2 weeks ago and haven't seen one mention of an adventure game. Every other genre has been mentioned - FPS, RPG, action, strategy, simulation. But no adventure.

Now, I'm not criticizing anyone for their choice of game (why would I?), but I would like to understand why it's so unpopular, for something that two decades ago was the most popular game genre.
What adventure games are out that you've played lately?

And besides, adventure is a very broad genre really... I could argue that Bastion, Uncharted and Skyward Sword are all adventure games, or at least strongly resemble them.

Unless you're talking about proper old school adventure games like Spyro...
I don't normally suspect people of trolling, but seriously... Spyro, and adventure? And Bastion? They're both so far from being adventure that I can't imagine you'd honestly and truly think they are.

And "old school" - 1998 is not old school, when the first Spyro came out..

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Tin Man said:
Seriously, I joined this forum 2 weeks ago and haven't seen one mention of an adventure game. Every other genre has been mentioned - FPS, RPG, action, strategy, simulation. But no adventure.

Now, I'm not criticizing anyone for their choice of game (why would I?), but I would like to understand why it's so unpopular, for something that two decades ago was the most popular game genre.
What adventure games are out that you've played lately?

And besides, adventure is a very broad genre really... I could argue that Bastion, Uncharted and Skyward Sword are all adventure games, or at least strongly resemble them.

Unless you're talking about proper old school adventure games like Spyro...
I don't normally suspect people of trolling, but seriously... Spyro, and adventure? And Bastion? They're both so far from being adventure that I can't imagine you'd honestly and truly think they are.

I've come to one of two conclussions:

1. There are a lot of people who don't realize there are genre definitions and assume that adventure means any game that has an "adventure" in it rather than to a specific game design style. These are the same people who think every game is a RPG because you're pretending to be something you're not and therefore are playing a role. Nor can they be bothered to look things up before telling you that you are wrong to say that genre names have a meaning other than whatever they want it to mean.

Further, rather than understand that you are making the legitimate arguement that games of a particular style do not recieve anywhere near as much publicity even when they are as popular or more popular than games in other genres, they insist that games that a very clearly not part of your original statement get lots of publicity so you must be wrong.

2. There are a whole lot of trolls out there who just love to wind people and possible adventure game players in particular up.

*EDIT*

I think todays Jimquisition falls perfectly into this conversation. I think self proclamed "hardcore" gamers think adventure games are causual games rather than the parent of all computer gaming. if they don't have at shooting match action sections between every problem solving step, it isn't real gaming. If it is cerebral rather than visceral then it is "casual".

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.330094-Jimquisition-Hardcore-Hypocrisy

**EDIT**

One good thing that has come from this thread is that because of people who actually knew what adventure games were and mentioned more recent ones, I bought "The book of Unwritten Tales" and "City of Secrets". Two games I might have otherwise missed. I also bought "so blonde" because it has very good reviews and I've been meaning to get it.

***EDIT***

I might also recommend that you check out
* http://www.adventuregamers.com/
* http://justadventure.com/

As locations that are far less hostile to this genre.

Mittenz

Nov 17, 2011
The reason that adventure games as you define them, are not mentioned very much is because most people in this community simply aren't interested in them. If very few people are interested in them, The Escapist won't make features on them as given their lack of popularity, less people would be interested in said features, resulting in less page views and therefore less ad revenue. Indeed, this leads to less exposure of the genre to potential new players resulting in even less players of said games, but it really all comes down to the fact that most people on this site find them uninteresting. >TL;DR Most people find them boring, therefore nobody wants to write about them.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
We've discussed what is meant by adventure in the last 5 pages. I could say it again, but I'm sure that 2 pages later someone will again ask what I mean by adventure, and furthermore, my original definition confused some people so I had to respond to their questions, so it's likely that if I give a one-paragraph definition you'll be confused too.

If you're really interested I'll refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game which is a pretty good summary that I mostly agree with.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Tin Man said:
jthwilliams said:
I can't even believe what I've just read, you condescending prick.

I'm going to go back to the OPs point and attempt to salvage some kind of discussion, because maybe I am confused as to what his idea of an adventure game is. I believe I said as much in my post, and I'm very much not alone in not quite getting what this poorly written thread is even decrying. I also said I COULD argue that, not that I was.

Also, -

jthwilliams said:
I think todays Jimquisition falls perfectly into this conversation. I think self proclamed "hardcore" gamers think adventure games are causual games rather than the parent of all computer gaming. if they don't have at shooting match action sections between every problem solving step, it isn't real gaming. If it is cerebral rather than visceral then it is "casual".
It's so fucking ironic that the most arrogant, smug post I've ever seen on this forum is referencing a video whose topic was gamers arrogance and smugness, like it in any way proves your point! Sterling would see through your bullshit in a minute, you elitist twat. People who like online shooters aren't what gives gamers a bad name, it's stuck up people like you who think their niche is the one with the most value, and the unwashed masses are all missing out. Fuck off.

Well then how about you explain what you mean before getting people off side. It's not my fault you aren't being clear with your crying about an obscure and completely irrelevant genre. I take it you mean point and clicks? Visual novel type games? I also have to draw attention to the fact that I asked a number of questions in my post and you've not answered any of them, and instead of explaining your points in even the most basic of polite or constructive ways, you've just jumped straight onto calling me a troll and dismissing my post completely. And I'M the troll? Poor form.

And also, I said I COULD argue that the games I mentioned RESEMBLE adventure games(even if my unclean eyes were confused as to what YOU meant), not that I thought they were.

And I'm aware of when Spyro came out, but I meant old-school as in, relatively. 13 years and 2 generations is more then a lifetime in game-terms.
We've discussed what is meant by adventure in the last 5 pages. I could say it again, but I'm sure that 2 pages later someone will again ask what I mean by adventure, and furthermore, my original definition confused some people so I had to respond to their questions, so it's likely that if I give a one-paragraph definition you'll be confused too.

If you're really interested I'll refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game which is a pretty good summary that I mostly agree with.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Tin Man said:
No I'm not gonna go rooting through 5 pages of people asking you what the fuck you're talking about. I asked you a series of direct questions and was rudely blown off, so I don't think I'm going to bother reading up on your shit, because really, who gives a fuck about visual novels and stupid ass click the room games?

Also, now that you've reached the triple figure post mark and are one of lifes winners, some advice: Next time you write an awful opening post, and I'm sure there WILL be a next time, edit your first post to clarify what you mean and drop in any relevant links or game titles there. It'll save you and everyone else a lot of time.
How rude. I didn't ask you to go rooting round the last 5 pages, I politely gave you an awesome link which explains what you want to know very well.

I still don't agree with you that I should have to provide a definition to what should be common knowledge on a gaming website. If I make a post about RPGs do I have to define what I mean by RPG? I'm sure you couldn't find me one thread about a genre where the opening post defines the genre. Apparently I'm the exception.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Tin Man said:
I wikipedia'd adventure games myself, and all it did was break it down into 4 seperate things, and apparently what makes an adventure game an adventure game is actually no fucking adventure, but Broken Sword style gameplay of using an obscure object in place of a key.
Exactly. And what makes an RPG isn't 'role-playing' but quests, statistics and skills. That's life.

You misunderstand that genre names don't often make sense, and arose out of the evolution of games. So a game that is adventurous (what game isn't?) might not have anything to do with what we call "adventure games". Just like a game that involves "action" like Donkey Kong is called a platformer rather than an action game, and the puzzles in Resident Evil don't make it a "puzzle" game.

If you read the wiki article I posted, it mentioned one thing in common to all categories of adventure games - very little or no action. This is why we exclude games like Resident Evil 4, not because we think it's a bad game.

I'm honsetly baffled why so many people are upset that their favorite games aren't considered adventure games. Why is this? I love playing tetris but I don't get upset when someone doesn't include it in their definition of an RPG.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Trying to get back to the topic.

Did anyone try Gray Matter?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Matter_%28video_game%29

It seems to be available in an English version in Europe at least. I'm tempted to order it through mail order. I would love to hear what people think.

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Tin Man said:
Tin Man,

So, I responded to your e-mail, but I felt I should also respond to your post as say the follow.

It was not my intent to insult you or anyone on this forum. Please forgive me for any insult taken.

I am not sure why you believe that I believe any type of game is superier, any type of gammer is superier anything along those lines. I do not believe I said or have ever said anything along those lines, but if I did imply it, please let me appologize here, it is absolutely rediculous to believe anyone is a "better" gamer because of what games they like and I absolutely do not believe that.

3. While I realize I responded to someone else responding to you. I did not mean to imply anything about you. It was clumsy of me.

4. My comment was along was intended to point out that dispite serveral posts from both myself and the original poster that not only defined what "Adventure" game meant and provided supporting materials, that there had been many responsed that had said that the definition was wrong including one that specifically said "well can't every game be an adventure game since almost every game includes some kind of adventure. " Which appears to either be willfully ignoring either the defintion or failing to take the time to read the supporting material before deciding it was wrong.

Again that wasn't directed at you but a comment on the thread at large.

5. I am sorry that you found me pompus, arrogant, and condescending. I suspect it was becaue you felt I was calling you a troll and suggesting people who didn't know what adventure were or like adventure games were "unwashed masses" which I was not.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Tin Man said:
You have no right to call me rude, in a thread where my perfectly polite opening questions were shut right down. No you do not. And an awesome link? I wikipedia'd adventure games myself, and all it did was break it down into 4 seperate things, and apparently what makes an adventure game an adventure game is actually no fucking adventure, but Broken Sword style gameplay of using an obscure object in place of a key.
Correct adventure games have no fucking adventures. The genre is called adventure because one of the first games with that kind of gameplay was called Colossal Cave Adventure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

The names of genres sometimes makes little sense. But it's a practical way to create language for abstract concepts.