No One Really Cares About 1080p, Says Far Cry 4 Dev

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
1080 isn't necessary BUT when you're a big AAA studio promising shiny graphics and revolutionary "everything" on a new gen consoles each time you have a new game, you should be able to make a game that can be played in a resolution available since what ? five or six years on an average PC.

You can't compare a SNES game to the next AC game... It's like comparing Super Mario Bros on SNes to Assassin's Creed 3 on whatever support... Their is no challenge for Mario, it's not even funny !

I agree for the 4K TV, it's a little part of the customers. For now. To be honest, you can see a lot of indi dev teams that can put 1080 on any of their games, yes, their graphics are somehow minimalist BUT they don't have the same funding or capacity Ubisoft put in any of their products.

Beside all of this, he speak for the Xone mag, so he had to tell the Xone customers they've the best product. Biased, untrue but it's his job.
Ask the PC user with a mid-ranged GPU; you can't have the shiny new graphics if you want the solid 60 frame rate, especially as how Evil Within and Shadow of Mordor either lock it to 30 or can't even run a GTX 760 at 1080p30 on Very High Settings.

It would help if people stopped thinking of PC vs Console: from their internal architecture to hardware, they're completely different machines -- it's not even close, unless you say a horse is related to a cat because it is a quadrupedal (four legs).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Sorry Ubisoft, 1080p is the one that matters, it's 4k where we start getting away from it mattering for most users. Where you have to be really close to a 55 inch TV before it matters.

But 1080p? Most people own that if they own a HD TV and that makes a difference from a lot further away.

How far do you guys sit from your TV and what kind of resolution does your TV support?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Yeah, no one cares because it's all about 4K

I think this is what we call.... Justice!
We got to witness the AAA games industry go
GRAPHICS! GRAPHICS! GRAPHICS! GRAPHICS!
for like 7 years and now they have 7 years worth of shitty games to backpedal over.

Because they can't physically force games to look any better and they never learned how to make a legitimately good game.

If you need me I'll be on my high horse changing "Implode! Implode! Implode!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
Yeah, no one cares because it's all about 4K

I think this is what we call.... Justice!
We got to witness the AAA games industry go
GRAPHICS! GRAPHICS! GRAPHICS! GRAPHICS!
for like 7 years and now they have 7 years worth of shitty games to backpedal over.

Because they can't physically force games to look any better and they never learned how to make a legitimately good game.

If you need me I'll be on my high horse changing "Implode! Implode! Implode!"
It's especially funny because they were shunning the Wii U over not being advanced enough.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Damn! I arrived too late for the show. Is there any popcorn left?

OT: Personally I don't care about 1080p that much. However I know a lot of people does, and I would be a duchebag if I dismissed their opinions as Ubisoft does.

PS captcha: stay safe Yeah, captcha. Maybe it was a good idea not to arrive early.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
True for me.

1080p is completely meaningless to me and always has been.
Same goes for things like 3D, touch controls, oculus rift, etc.

From a gaming standpoint...the only one of these things that can have an impact on my immersion and fun is the frames per second. 60 fps+ has genuinely improved my enjoyment of a game to that of 30fps.

They make a valid point but then again it's been engrained in our minds by the publishers that graphics are what sell new generation consoles and their AAA titles for DECADES. It's a funny situation but that's all it is.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I think if graphic fidelity is that important to you then you should be playing your games on a medium that allows you that sort of control and not on a console where the decisions are made for you.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
I'm one of those who don't care about resolution. 1080? 720? pfft. The game needs to be fun, immersive, well designed, that kind of thing.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
So Ubisoft thinks that the majority of PC gamers are nobody, good to know.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Slegiar Dryke said:
*looks at the growing echo chamber in the comments and shrugs* I kinda agree with the guy. is something fun/interesting/new/etc, ie enjoyable to play, mysterious to explore, or exhilarating to blow stuff up......if so, count me in and screw the resolution and the frame rate. I only got a tv capable of 720 and 1080 in the past year or two, and still play anything from my snes to my wii games on it. as for pc stuff, not gonna kill my hardware to push "quality", or break games to force them faster than they run.
Again, I agree with you up to a point, but this obsession with graphics is something devs/publishers have pushed themselves. They've used uber-graphical dick waving as a selling point, and stoked up the faction who obsess about this kind of thing... and now are trying to backpedal when their not keeping up with the expectations they've created.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
As far as consoles and tv's go, yes, as long as the image is clean and clear with little aliasing it really doesn't matter what the resolution is, but there is one important thing to remember when developing your game. I'm playing most games for the foreseeable future on PC, when making a console first game PLEASE allow for further customization in the PC port, we PC gamers need resolutions native to our desktops for ease of use and even greater for the enthusiasts, support for custom resolutions is also helpful to some i imagine, and don't do a Far Cry 3 where the HUD didn't scale and looked awful on PC.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Lightknight said:
Zipa said:
I don't think they're talking about PC.
Giving recent events with Ubisoft I wouldn't be even a little surprised if they tried to force their games down to the level of the XB1/PS4. It does not bode well for PC ports either.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen. I don't know the exact numbers, but it starts to get a little crazy. I'm just in it for the experience, I'll play a SNES game if it's cool."

Hutchinson, while maybe having a valid point that the people complaining about resolution make up a minority of the gaming population, doesn't seem to quite understand how resolution works. For example, those retro indie games that he's talking about, while having quite low quality graphics, still indeed run at 1080p on most systems. Similarly, I'm no scientist, but I don't think that's how 4K TVs work...
What Hutchinson is talking about when discussing 4k resolution and distance is the old "when does a higher resolution matter" chart.

Basically, the human eye cannot resolve two points beyond a certain distance so higher resolutions don't make a differences as long as the pixels aren't resolved (because once they already look like one point they never look "more" like one point).

http://www.rtings.com/images/optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

Many of us have a TV that is too small, too far away, or doesn't even support 1080p resolutions for this to matter.

For me, I sit around 10' from my 42" TV. So even though it is capable of displaying 1080p, it really isn't noticeable for me if you switch between 720p and 1080p. If I upgraded to a 55" TV then it would begin to be noticeable from that distance. I'm sure other people also sit closer to their TV than I do so I could easily understand the 1080p being relevant.

So, those of you complaining really have to do the math. What kind of TV do you have and how far do you actually sit from it? Most of us are sitting further away than we actually realize. If the math works out and you have at least average eye sight then this is a noticeable difference for you. Personally, I'd place a much higher emphasis on FPS than resolution.

It would be interesting to know what the average TV consumer has.

Zipa said:
Lightknight said:
Zipa said:
I don't think they're talking about PC.
Giving recent events with Ubisoft I wouldn't be even a little surprised if they tried to force their games down to the level of the XB1/PS4. It does not bode well for PC ports either.
Well, the good news is that he was talking about TVs and not monitors where you only sit a couple feet away and there are 4k monitors on the market for reasonable prices (compared to $1,500+ for 4k TVs).

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I had been purchasing Ubisoft's games pretty regularly, but I haven't bought anything since they started talking down to me (somewhere during Watch_Dogs' development.

Some us do care about resolution. I, for one, like my PC resolution set to 1920x1200, a setting most PC monitors no longer list as their maximum resolution. Even if a game's 3D graphics don't look great, a higher resolution goes a long way to make a game's interface look better.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ryukage_sama said:
I had been purchasing Ubisoft's games pretty regularly, but I haven't bought anything since they started talking down to me (somewhere during Watch_Dogs' development.

Some us do care about resolution. I, for one, like my PC resolution set to 1920x1200, a setting most PC monitors no longer list as their maximum resolution. Even if a game's 3D graphics don't look great, a higher resolution goes a long way to make a game's interface look better.
Ubisoft has basically been aiming to topple EA in shitty consumer treatment policies for the past couple of years.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Far Cry 4 creative director Alex Hutchinson thinks its weird that people can enjoy a retro pixel game, yet complain about resolution in AAA titles.
The difference between retro pixel games and present-day games, Mr. Hutchinson, is that back in the day they didn't have the technology to give us 1080p...these days, you (presumably) do. The technology is out there to get us better resolutions and as such we expect better resolutions. That and, as a relatively recent Jimquisition points out, devs like you have been face-fucking us with the notion that "OOOOOOOOOOOO LOOK HOW AWESOME OUR GRAPHICS AND RESOLUTION ARE! BUY OUR GAME BECAUSE IT'S SO FUCKING PRETTY!!!!" soooooo why shouldn't we call complete bullshit on you when you fail to live up to the bar? A bar, by the way, that devs like you set in the first place.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's going to be a fun generation. Wave after wave of developers trying to brush off the limitations imposed on them by the console hardware as unimportant... Ah, good times.

'Course, I'm still mostly playing on a PC, and some publishers seem to think we're supposed to consider ourselves lucky to get ports that are locked at 30 FPS and relatively low resolution. I once thought that the new generation was going to bring consoles and PCs at least closer to parity; instead, they often can't seem to keep up with current televisions, let alone the 4K and 5K monsters the television manufacturers are trying to sell us.

It's certainly true that 1080p doesn't make or break the game for me. But it's nice to have one's graphics not be stretched out and blurred by the upconversion process, and I wish the talking heads would either cop to that, or just not bring it up at all.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I would agree with you Mr Far Cry Man, 1080p is nothing to me, but it was you and your ilk that pushed this "ooo shiny graphics so important" thing, not the consumer. So once you've finished Far Cry 4 for me if you could kindly roll into that grave you dug for yourself, that'd be great

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I thought they were in favour of higher resolution so they can lower frame rate.... You know what just fuck it. Ubisoft I will have more respect for you if you admit you have no idea what you are doing, or better yet higher me as a PR guy, i would be so much better then who you got now. Heck higher a monkey, people like monkeys and it would say more sensible things than you.