No PC Splitscreen, Pilotable Y-Wings For Battlefront

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No PC Splitscreen, Pilotable Y-Wings For Battlefront

DICE answers some of the most frequently asked Star Wars: Battlefront questions in its latest blog post.

A new Star Wars: Battlefront [http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/welcome-to-the-star-wars-battlefront-community?utm_campaign=swbf-social-us-ic-tw-swbf-communityblog-7132015-tw-prev-site-ramp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&sourceid=swbf-social-us-ic-tw-swbf-communityblog-7132015-tw-prev-site-ramp&cid=40587&ts=1436807150659&sf39363125=1] developer DICE has just answered some of the most commonly asked questions from eager fans. Among the disappointments are the fact that players won't actually be able to pilot the iconic Y-Wing, and that the PC version of the game will lack the split-screen functionality of the console versions.

Additionally, it explained a little about how vehicles will spawn in the Walker Assault game mode. "In Walker Assault, vehicles are tied to the power up system. When you find a vehicle power up on the map, you will need to activate it, which immediately spawns you inside the vehicle," explained the blog post.

"Vehicle power ups specifically must be used within a certain amount of time. This is a design decision to allow more equal distribution of the vehicle power ups amongst all players." Looks like there will be no more camping vehicle spawns in base for Battlefront.

Lastly, DICE stated that playing the game's singleplayer Missions do not grant you multiplayer career experience, but do provide you with credit rewards you can spend on buying unlocks.

Battlefront launches on November 17, just a few weeks before J.J. Abrams' Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awkens.

Source: DICE [http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/welcome-to-the-star-wars-battlefront-community?utm_campaign=swbf-social-us-ic-tw-swbf-communityblog-7132015-tw-prev-site-ramp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&sourceid=swbf-social-us-ic-tw-swbf-communityblog-7132015-tw-prev-site-ramp&cid=40587&ts=1436807150659&sf39363125=1]

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
It's occurred to me that I don't know what the hell kind of multiplayer unlocks there are gonna be. Putting camo and attachments on star wars blasters sounds totally out of place.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Have they actually announced anything the will be in the game, or has it all been "Sorry, these basic features from a game made years ago are too hard. Maybe next time, champ."

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
So funny that Star Wars Battlefront will lack so much that made Star Wars Battlefront a great game.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Too bad about Y-Wings, but since when is split-screen on PC something anyone considers likely in the first place?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
*Sigh*

Time to trot this out again...

Y-Wings are one of my favorite Star Wars ships. I love their battle-scarred, jury-rigged appearance, with wires and cables haphazardly snaking every which way. It perfectly illustrates the underdog status of the Rebels and how they're forced to scrounge up whatever secondhand gear they can get their hands on.[footnote]Particularly if you compare them to the relatively pristine [a href="http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140129144637/althistory/images/d/d4/BTL-B_Y-wing_fighter.jpg"]Republic Y-Wings[/a] of the 2008 Clone Wars show.[/footnote]

Not being able to fly such a classic ship is simply mind-boggling, particularly when [a href="http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/146344-star-wars-x-wing-dos-screenshot-entering-hyperspace.gif"]other series have had them as core flyable ships since 1993.[/a]

Seriously DICE, you're getting upstaged by a 22-year old DOS game now. That's just sad.

shadoe14

Feb 27, 2012
You know EA, considering practically every little bit of info you release about this game is just making it seem worse and worse. I think it would be a better business decision to just shut up about it.

Although I do like how you are disappointing us early so we don't have to ponder whether we should start saving our money for this game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Have they actually announced anything the will be in the game, or has it all been "Sorry, these basic features from a game made years ago are too hard. Maybe next time, champ."
That's what I was going to say: "Well, looks like another nega-announcement for this game. Anyone else notice how every official bit of news that comes out about this game is something explaining a feature that won't be in the game?"

Apparently the answer to that is yes. :p

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
That map looks TINY. I mean like... TINY TINY.

Also, so this is just a pallet swapped BF game. I'm not the only person seeing that right?

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
so no overpowered attack/bombers? Excuse me while I not hop on this band wagon and say thank God, there is nothing worse in BF4 than the freaken over powered attack aircraft that makes being on the ground be it on foot or in a vehicle suck life.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well at least they are being honest about the content they don't have as opposed to not saying so until the game comes out.

But still, they really need to start announcing some good things or this game is gonna have problems. Well, maybe just by being released around the same time as the movies is enough to sell it regardless if the game is good.

I want this to be good but no way am I buying it until well after the release.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
and that proves it I was right to swear this thing off when I heard they wouldn't have galaxy at war.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
WHAT? no Y wings? I better damn well be able to pilot a B wing then, or a speederbike, or a sandcrawler. I'm fine with no split screen on pc though, I couldn't see that getting much use at all.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ftaghn To You Too said:
They announced a survival mode and...and...and...

Yeah, I got nothing.

Dark Knifer said:
Well at least they are being honest about the content they don't have as opposed to not saying so until the game comes out.
Yeah, but while their candor is appreciated, it seems like announcements in reverse. Like, we're supposed to be excited for this, right? Not gessing what else they'll be taking out?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
EA, just say what this game will be. A total disappointment to pretty much all original Battlefront fans and a game the new Battlefield lovers will enjoy. It'll make the final sting a lot weaker.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Nah, they're saving those for the DLC and premium packs. ;)

Honestly I hope whatever they do for multiplayer unlocks isn't as stupid as the unlock system in Battlefield. I fracking detest that system with the fury of ten thousand suns, so many pointless grindy unlocks, just let us buy what we want from the get-go.