No Right Answer: Best Batman Villain Ever

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
I vote riddler but even still I think a better choice would of been hugo strange or like some have mentioned Mr. Freeze

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Danm. Should have logged in earlier on the Two-Face = Richard Mol thing.

It's hard for me to go with Riddler. He's had good stories and the games used him well, but so much of me still sees what I first saw: a hood pathilogically compelled to tellt he truth in some fashion due to repeated beatings as a child for lying. Hence riddles to say "I'm robbing the bank" without directly saying "I'm robbng the bank".

Sadly, most Batman villans have to be graded on the corny cruve. Even Joker's had more exploding rubber chickens than he's had "Killing Jokes" or "Death in the Families". Ra's Al Guhl has a league of assasians and semingly unlmiited funds but can't beat a guy in a funny costume. Bane might be more respectable if he a) didn't let the rest of Batman's rogues gallery wear him down before breaking his back, and b) even put up a decent showing in any subsequant remach. Hugo Strange is often forgotten. Catwoman? Next. Two Face might win by default just for the personal touch, but even that wears away with time.

I'd go so far to say Batman's his own worst enemy. It was him arrogantly trying to handle Bane's released villans alone tha wore him down in Knigtfall enabling Bane to break his back, and his antipersonal paranoia has at best driven wedges between him and his partners and at worst, taken down the Justice League (Tower of Babil) and threatened the world (Brother Eye in Infinite Crisis).

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know about the dark knight, I felt that it was a terrible batman movie, but, the villain's made up for it and made the movie amazing. I am pretty upset that they killed off Aaron Eckhart, who I believe is an amazing actor.

As far as no "real" villains to choose from... really? No Ra's Al Ghul?

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Qitz said:
I say Mr.Freeze.

Why? Because Mr.Freeze is doing it all for his Terminally Ill Wife, Nora. Which, while it may not fight Batmans brain as much as Riddler does, does test his Morality. The only reason he's fighting him is because of HOW he's going about it.

I mean really, what's harder for Batman to do? Slap some guy whose leaving mind teases around Gotham or take down a Scientist whose only doing this because HE'S TRYING TO SAVE HIS WIFE!
Batman does not have any moral conundrum when it comes to this because motivation does not matter to him. Both the Joker and Freeze are threats because they use harmful methods to attain their goals.

In the reboot universe, he stopped being sympathetic and was given a psychotic makeover.
Nora Freis is not his wife, just a woman named Nora Fields. She was frozen in Wayne Enterprises since the 1943s. Bruce Wayne's now Grandfather placed her there.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I think Catwoman is a good villain, perhaps not the best but still good

beniki

May 28, 2009
Having not seen it yet, I don't know if the Riddler is in Dark Knight Rises (and supreme hell fire and suffering to anyone who spoils that twist for me if he is), but if he isn't I will be supremely disappointed.

Sure the Joker is probably Batman's arch-nemesis, but the Riddler could have been sooooooo good in Nolan's universe. As opposed to the Joker's up front confrontation of Batman, the Joker could have literally left Batman's psyche in tatters, ripping up every relationship he had left through misdirection. Nolan could have spent the time going full-Inception with Bruce Wayne.

But here's the problem for the Riddler in Batman comics. Batman is defined by his enemies. Not the other way around. There just isn't enough character for The Riddler to play with... and since the Riddler is equally defined by how well he manipulates his foes, he comes off as mediocre.

You have two characters waiting to act as counter to the other, and so we're left with stasis. Really, the Riddler should have his own comic book to explore the kind of man who tests his powers of manipulation, but I guess there is already a guy like that with a different name.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
clearly bane is the greatest batman villan. hes a four eyed fire breathing monster meant to be a great propaganda social commentary in this years election.

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
Firefilm said:
doublenix said:
Thank you for picking the Riddler as even an option. He is unfairly overlooked all the time. Remind me to get you guys some cookies if I ever see you.
Please come to PAX this year, we will be there and hungry for cookies!
If my wife wasn't about to bring another minion... uh, I mean baby... into the world right about the same time as PAX, I would. However, I must warn you, the cookies may have certain special properties. I cannot be held responsible for mass consumption of Bugles or Fritos after enjoying cookie magic.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
misterprickly said:
I still can't believe that Nolan chose Bain for the movie... You could have had Killer Croc play that part without having to change a single scene.

It would exlpain the wierd voice.
I... what? Killer Croc was pretty much an animal/strongman he has no ability to lead people or have elaborate schemes plus he's not foreign so there would be no accent. Yeah, Bane is supposed to be from south america but he's always been the tactical genius and a leader.

Anyway. I am also going to have to go with Mr. Freeze, though not until he was changed in the 90's. I know him being called Mister as opposed to Doctor is a holdover from when he had NO back-story. Still you'd think after however many years of schooling he wouldn't want to be called Mister.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Best Batman villain ever?
^He is the best Batman Villain ever. In my opinion at least....

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
The 2000s pre-reboot Joker, especially if Grant Morrison was writing the story. Some of my friends will pick Bane, Ras Al Ghul, or Hush. This Joker was faking his insanity, was in Arkham because he was too dangerous to keep anywhere else (no death penalty), Arkham was practically built for him, he knew who Batman was & didn't give a shit (comics have hinted that he's known since A Death in the Family), & if you ignore that completely out of character moment at the end of Gotham City Sirens, his creepiness was amped up by the fact that he is absolutely gay for Batman (& Lex Luthor).

Ragora

May 23, 2010
misterprickly said:
ace_of_something said:
misterprickly said:
I still can't believe that Nolan chose Bain for the movie... You could have had Killer Croc play that part without having to change a single scene.

It would exlpain the wierd voice.
I... what? Killer Croc was pretty much an animal/strongman he has no ability to lead people or have elaborate schemes plus he's not foreign so there would be no accent. Yeah, Bane is supposed to be from south america but he's always been the tactical genius and a leader.

Anyway. I am also going to have to go with Mr. Freeze, though not until he was changed in the 90's. I know him being called Mister as opposed to Doctor is a holdover from when he had NO back-story. Still you'd think after however many years of schooling he wouldn't want to be called Mister.
Croc wasn't an animal/strongman... He was a sideshow attraction (with a full blown case of ecchymosis aka lizard skin) turned pro wrestler, who fell to a life of crime.

He's a FAR more intresting character than an over-roided luchador turned hitman.
Even if that were an accurate description of Bane, how would "professional wrestler who fell to a life of crime" be much different than a "luchador turned hitman?" Describe them like that and the only difference is one has Venom, the other has a skin condition.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I never was a big fan of the Joker. It's not that I hate him either, I just think he's overused and not that interesting. (A lot depends on the writing too, I hate it when they make him just a psycho who kills people left and right).

I gotta go with Riddler. I pretty much like him in all of his incarnations (well, maybe not Carrey one, because it's so frustrating; he could have been an awesome Riddler, but the script and the direction didn't let him).

I was introduced to Batman by the 60's tv series, and I still love it. In it Penguin and the Catwoman (and Bookworm!) were my favourite villains, closely followed by Riddler.

But Catwoman generally isn't exactly a villain, and I don't like Penguin as much as Riddler in all of the incarnations.

I also like Two-face (and Scarecrow, so many good villains in Batman's rogues gallery), but I'd say Riddler is more iconic.

ace_of_something said:
Croc's intelligence kinda varies in the comics, sometimes he is smart enough to plan complex schemes. But he is prone to regressing into more animal-like character, because of mutation or psychic trauma or something. or the writers just preferring him as an animal who eats people.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
doublenix said:
Thank you for picking the Riddler as even an option. He is unfairly overlooked all the time. Remind me to get you guys some cookies if I ever see you.
Unfairly overlooked! Everyone always overlooks my favorite villain! James Gordon Jr. is always overlooked, mostly because he is a rather new villain. But he's great! He is just a creepy murderer. But what makes him good is how personal the stories are to Gordon and Batman.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Qitz said:
I say Mr.Freeze.

Why? Because Mr.Freeze is doing it all for his Terminally Ill Wife, Nora. Which, while it may not fight Batmans brain as much as Riddler does, does test his Morality. The only reason he's fighting him is because of HOW he's going about it.

I mean really, what's harder for Batman to do? Slap some guy whose leaving mind teases around Gotham or take down a Scientist whose only doing this because HE'S TRYING TO SAVE HIS WIFE!
I'm like 80% sure that Nora Fries is dead in the comics from the get go. Its her death that makes him go nuts, cause i'm pretty sure he accidentally kills her with his freeze ray.

citation needed

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
walrusaurus said:
Qitz said:
I say Mr.Freeze.

I'm like 80% sure that Nora Fries is dead in the comics from the get go. Its her death that makes him go nuts, cause i'm pretty sure he accidentally kills her with his freeze ray.

citation needed
Cite or it didn't happen :p