No Right Answer: Best Call to Action Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Call to Action Ever

When destiny calls and offers superpowers in exchange for saving the world, we jump at the chance. Who jumped highest?.

Watch Video

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
He's Right. and for those who want to say Harry Potter's call to action was preset too, you must remember The entire world thought voldemort was dead. Nobody knew horcuxes or anything else and technically any other character in the whole series of harry potter could have gone and used the power of friendship to accomplish the same tasks harry was given.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Screw the films, Neville Longbottom was the hero. He stood in front of the darklord by himself screaming defiance whilst being tortured by the most powerful being alive and then pulled a mother effin sword out of a mother effin hat and killed the snake, destroying the horcrux.

The films were so unfair on him

crazy_coug99

Official Representative of WSU
Sep 17, 2012
I'm gonna go with the gaming route and say Sora from Kingdom Hearts. He starts out wanting to save his friends and then gets into saving different worlds from being destroyed. It isn't until he gets to Hollow Bastion where he finally recognizes that the adventure that he is on is larger than he is.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
is it just me or does this series almost always seem slanted in Chris's favor?

Harry Potter - conceivable that someone else could have pulled off what he did

Neo - NOBODY could have pulled it off BUT Neo because he was different. He was able to stomp agents into the ground that would rip anyone else limb from limb.

Jan 12, 2012
Harry and Neo? They're great, but...
http://narwhaler.com/original/cu/v/hey-waving-spiderman-cUvAm8.jpg
Came out of nowhere (with both Spider-powers and Uncle Ben);
Real people would go along with it (Justice!);
Spider-Man is special; time and again, he's the only one who can save Manhattan.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
T_T Shinji obviously has the best call to action!!!
1.After years of neglect suddenly without any prior hints his father summons him.
2.To fight in a giant mecha with hot girls:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9846-Neon-Genesis-Evangelion
3.As he is the only one who has the power to use the machines true potential due to something I won't spoil.
[sub][sub]He is also completely emotionally abused to the point of total breakdown,loses everything he hold dear and experiences ungodly physical pain while fighting but lets ignore that[/sub][/sub]

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I don't think either harry or neo had good call to action. To have a good call of action you need a huge and maybe better reason to refuse the call. Personally, I'd either go with Bilbo in the Hobbit book or the Wheel of Time protaganests.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Call to action? How about Saving humanity from extermination (not just enslavement), WITHOUT gaining superpowers.
So, yeah,
I don't know if you can tell that I finished the first (no spoilers, please) Ender's Game novel, but yeah...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't know, if I were Harry Potter I'd get kinda sick of everyone expecting me to save everything. What? I'm some big hero because I didn't die? How the hell does that work?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Aptspire said:
Call to action? How about Saving humanity from extermination (not just enslavement), WITHOUT gaining superpowers.
So, yeah,
I don't know if you can tell that I finished the first (no spoilers, please) Ender's Game novel, but yeah...
Ender never really gets a call to action, he is lied to at every turn and in the end he even refuses to do what he believes he is supposed to do. He doesn't save humanity from extinction, humanity was never in danger of extinction in the first place, the Formics had no intention of returning to human occupied space.

If anyone from those books has a great call to action it would be Andrew's brother Peter. He saw what was going on in the world, what events were going to happen in the very near future, brought it to the forefront and then did something about it resulting in a veritable Golden Age of Humanity

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
So Neo lost because his "third movie blows"?

I guess Harry Potter wins because all his movies are on the same caliber of "blows" and his call to action is just a trek through mediocrity.

But Neo's call to action happened in the first movie. He already made the choice in the movie that was good. Harry Potter's movies were all bad. He made all his calls to action in an inconsistent universes directed by multiple people and written in a mythos that conjures whatever it wants whenever it wants.

(Comparing movies to movies here to stay consistent.)

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Sorry, but both shrivel in comparison to this one:

"Your father was captain of a starship for eight minutes. He saved 800 people's lives, including your mother's, and your own. I dare you to do better."

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
i would actually argue captain america on this. weak little kid from Brooklyn with a big heart who undergoes experiment that almost kills him, becomes the only super soldier, by the end of his movie saves America, and by the end of the avengers he saves the world. all of this while fighting 2 gods, a man wearing armor strong enough to destroy an entire army. and he bosses around the hulk.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm pretty certain it's pointed out in the Harry Potter books that it just as easily could have been Neville that was the chosen one. The prophecy was made in such a way that it could have related to either Harry or Neville.

The criteria was basically that the boy in question was born at the end of July and had parents who had "defied" Voldemort three times.

Both Harry and Neville were born at the end of July and both had parents in the Order of the Phoenix, a group of wizards dedicated to defying Voldemort.

It was only because Voldemort chose to go after Harry that sealed his fate and not Neville's.

Oh and Kyle, don't worry, Harry Potter's third movie blowed as well. Majorly.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Damnit, stole the words right out of my mouth!

[sub]Didn't get good again until 5th movie[/sub]

OT: As mentioned by other posts above, Neville could have been the hero instead of Harry, and later on he really was as well.

Going with Harry over Neo on this one as well.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
therandombear said:
Proverbial Jon said:

It's an odd situation with 3; movie critics couldn't praise it enough while the people who had actually read the books thought it was god-awful.

5 is a brilliant movie because Imelda Staunton. Nuff said.

Rakschas

Jan 7, 2013
concerning the limited powers of neo, as far as i have understood it neo can shape any thought into physical reality insideo of the matrix.

given the prequisites of magic and the inherent limits in the book, that would reverse the argument about who suddenly got the coolest powers as his gift.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
therandombear said:
Proverbial Jon said:

It's an odd situation with 3; movie critics couldn't praise it enough while the people who had actually read the books thought it was god-awful.

5 is a brilliant movie because Imelda Staunton. Nuff said.
Ye..I don't get it, everyone I know who watched the 3rd movie, loved it, even those who read the books. I'm like: "Wtf, how can you like it, so many cuts and so much is missing!"