No Right Answer: Best Comic Book-Based Cartoon Ever

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Yeah.... no. Sorry, no.

"Best" and "most defined its franchise" are not equivalent terms.

Batman is better than TMNT. Guess which won 4 Emmy Awards, and which won zero awards.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Still think that Batman was a bit better. Consider "The man who killed Batman." It may be the best "What if" story ever told. "Almost Got 'im." an angle that is NEVER explored nowadays...

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Ok Chris, you completely lost me with that speal about Adam West saving Batman and whatever.
This isn't hard to figure out. Batman's comics weren't as popular as they are now but before they just became a little obscure thing, the Adam West Batman came out and got people to remember the character right before he faded away.

As a result of the campy version, people like Frank Miller decided Batman needed to get back to his roots as a dark vigilante, hence why we got The Dark Knight Returns. Not only did Adam West's Batman carry Batman into the current consciousness, it inadvertently caused modern comic writers to decide the character needed to be the dark, brooding figure we all currently assume is just how he always was.

Not acknowledging the campy West/Ward version of the show pretty much shows how little someone understands Batman as a whole. You don't have to like it, but respect has to be paid.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Is this really an arguement worth having? It's Batman, hands down! That cartoon has infinite rewatchability, unlike TMNT or Marvel's toons from the '90's, which don't look like they aged well. Without B:TAS, Superman wouldn't have had the same treatment, there'd be no Batman Beyond, and we'd DEFINITELY have no Justice League.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
I'd have to agree with the points that the TMNT cartoon did more for their franchise than the Batman series did for theirs. However I fail to see how that is a criteria for best. The McDonald's Big Mac did more for its franchise than a well crafted meal at some 3 Michelin star restaurant did for that restaurant. That doesn't mean its better, and I don't think many people would argue that it is. Of course "better" is a fairly subjective term so I have to accept it if you hold that criteria highly, but I just don't understand it.

Characterization, story, and all the other individual components (as well as the sum) were better in the Batman series and to me that makes it better. Not that TMNT wasn't a great show its just not as good as the Batman series was.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Chris Pranger said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok Chris, you completely lost me with that speal about Adam West saving Batman and whatever.
This isn't hard to figure out. Batman's comics weren't as popular as they are now but before they just became a little obscure thing, the Adam West Batman came out and got people to remember the character right before he faded away.

As a result of the campy version, people like Frank Miller decided Batman needed to get back to his roots as a dark vigilante, hence why we got The Dark Knight Returns. Not only did Adam West's Batman carry Batman into the current consciousness, it inadvertently caused modern comic writers to decide the character needed to be the dark, brooding figure we all currently assume is just how he always was.

Not acknowledging the campy West/Ward version of the show pretty much shows how little someone understands Batman as a whole. You don't have to like it, but respect has to be paid.
Hey, I never said anything about not acknowledging or not respecting the Adam West show. Hell, I used to watch that show for a bit when I was a kid, back when YTV [http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ytv.com%2F&ei=ve7QT8mfA86J2AXFs6TBDA&usg=AFQjCNFcAURWbg-06nLiEc38pBzPl-Neeg&sig2=NzmEtvc9bYvfDMmCY6UkTg] used to carry it. It's just that saying it saved Batman seems like a bit of a stretch.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
TMNT wins just on the theme song. Chris should have got 10 points for bringing that point up!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I do feel the criteria did change a little in the debate, but "most influential" just doesn't look as attractive as "best".

A good debate, and enjoyable watch. My heart still goes to Justice League/Unlimited, though.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Interesting debate this week. In general I'm glad that there was an actual resolution to this one as opposed to just 'leaving it up to the viewers' again.

Gotta say that Chris owned this debate. Which is funny because in spite of the fact that I've probably seen both series discussed and would much more likely watch Batman than Ninja Turtles, he still figured out a way that Ninja Turtles won. Extra points for bringing the focus back to Adam West, who gets way too much hate poured on him for his fantastic interpretation of Batman back in the '60s.

Prismatic Baron

Aug 24, 2010
Does Duck Tales count? It was based on the Uncle Scrooge comic book. I think it deserves an Honorable Mention, at least.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Best: Batman TAS
Most influential to it's development as a franchise: TMNT (but just barely)

Batman TAS is one of (if not the) best cartoons to every air on TV. It had great stories that I could like as a kid and as an adult. that and can you really beat this intro?

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
TheFederation said:
it is obviously spectacular spiderman, or young justice, or justice leauge, or avenger: emh...
does anyone know half of these shows?
It's good that someone else loves Spectacular Spiderman that show was amazing. Though I'd place Brave and the Bold or Teen Titans on that list before avengers.

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
I know this is not a popular opinion, but...

TMNT 2k3 beats the pants off the '87 cartoon. No questions asked. Like someone said in the facebook thread, TMNT87 is all but unwatchable from an older standpoint. 2k3, however, while far from perfect has better writing, action, animation, characters and development. It is my honest opinion that the ONLY reason you hear so much more about the '87 series than you do about 2k3 is nostalgia. At this point, I'm just waiting for the generation that grew up on 2k3 to grow up and get nostalgic, and hopefully get whoever has the rights right now to release a box set.

I admit that I haven't watched enough of Batman: TAS to really talk about it with any kind of certainty.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I just want to say, I had actually like Batman Beyond.

All kidding aside, no love for X-Men? I know I'd not have known about the X-men nor gotten my love for comics without that cartoon.

Urameshi13

Jan 18, 2011
This is absolute BLASPHEMY!

No disrespect to the Turtles, I was a kid when the original animated series was on and I couldn't get enough of it. I especially loved those Hostess Turtle Pies, but I digress.

What was there before Batman: TAS? Superfriends, that's what. Kyle mentioned that TAS changed how we viewed animated Batman. What he failed to mention, is that it changed how we viewed animated superhero shows, period. For Batman was only the first DC hero to be revitalized by Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and their team of awesome! Not only did they give us an updated version of arguably the most popular superhero in the world with Superman, they gave us an entire animated UNIVERSE of DC heroes with Justice League and JL: Unlimited.

Furthermore, without the success of the aforementioned series, I highly doubt we would have other great superhero team shows such as Teen Titans and the infinitely awesome Young Justice. By the way, you haven't seen the latter of those two, fix that now! Start at the beginning, though, since it's a serial.

Batman: The Animated Series is, without a shadow of a doubt, the greatest comic book based animated series EVER of all time.

Lien

Jan 11, 2010
Prismatic Baron said:
Does Duck Tales count? It was based on the Uncle Scrooge comic book. I think it deserves an Honorable Mention, at least.

I say if it's made by Don Rosa, F*** yeah it counts!

Duck Tales > everything else!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
jecht35 said:
pff batman TAS is the winner because not only is it awesome it still holds up today just like Batman Beyond.
this

all points made for TMNT are valid mind you, but try watching it again, it doesn't hold up even half as well as Batman TAS and Beyond do.

also....

why haven't we gotten a good TMNT game since 'In Time'?! seirusly, some one, fix this!