No Right Answer: Best Cult Classic Ever - From Evil Dead to Rocky Horror

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Cult Classic Ever - From Evil Dead to Rocky Horror

Geeks pride themselves on loving cult classics, films that few have seen but everyone who's seen them loves. Can Chris, Kyle and Dan decide which cult is worth joining?

Watch Video

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I fucking love Kung Pow so much. My entire extended family has been quoting that movie for over a decade now.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
C'est nous les Français, les étrangers!

OT: This is grounds for an endless debate, because most of these are judged by subjective appreciation.

But yeah, I think I have to go with Kung-Pow (though I also love RHPS and Donnie Darko.)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Vampire_Hunter

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. So bad, it's good. Not sure if many people have heard of it, though.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
First of all, congrats on the new baby! That is such a life altering wonderful experience. There's nothing better. Enjoy every second of it!

Secondly, say Evil Dead sucks again and I will find you and punch you in the nards. Fair warning.

(Disclaimer: just so I don't get quoted and told to chill out or moderated for "threatening" an Escapist videographer or somesuch, that was a joke. I have no intentions of hunting down someone for a differing opinion)

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension didn't even get a mention?
Shameful.

Jan 12, 2012
I was going to say Kung Fu Hustle, but a bit of Googling tells me that it actually did pretty well in terms of box office. And Donnie Darko is the definition of a cult classic in that most people hate it, and few rabidly love it. The problem is that being the archetypical cult classic doesn't make it a good movie, practically by definition.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Angnor said:
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension didn't even get a mention?
Shameful.
It was on our list and got cut for time. We did not forget! (Even though forgetting a cult classic seems like a fair instance to forget some titles.)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I haven't watched Kung Pow in a decade, and longer since Army of Darkness, and I must correct that. I watched Idiocracy twice and it always cracks me up! Mike "Beavis & Butt-Head" Judge is an underrated genius.
Donnie Darko, to me, sounds like it only became infamous BECAUSE it's confusing, which is not always the same as DEEP.
Mcoffey said:
I was going to make an extended argument for Highlander being the best Cult Classic until you mentioned Kung Pow. Yeah that wins.

Plus, after four three two one and only one sequel, an anime spinoff, and a hit television series can you really be called a cult film?
ONE SEQUEL? There has been only ONE movie total!

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Rocky Horror. It puts the cult in cult classic! I honestly feel it's the superlative. It just fits the description perfectly. Not my favorite of the movies mentioned, though.

The Big Lebowski should have gotten a mention. Didn't do well at the box office, but there are now Lebowski fests all over the place. Basically a bunch of people in bathrobes drinking White Russians while watching the movie. It's a good time.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
bluepotatosack said:
Rocky Horror. It puts the cult in cult classic! I honestly feel it's the superlative. It just fits the description perfectly. Not my favorite of the movies mentioned, though.

The Big Lebowski should have gotten a mention. Didn't do well at the box office, but there are now Lebowski fests all over the place. Basically a bunch of people in bathrobes drinking White Russians while watching the movie. It's a good time.
We had that one on our list as well but cut it when we agreed that the Big Lebowski has permeated the Internet too fully to be considered "cult" anymore.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Mystery Science Theater 3000 the Movie should be on the list.

But it is a pretty good list.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
There is also, Iron Sky // But they were right the first time, Rocky Horror Picture Show is the greatest cult classic movie

-M

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
If a cult classic is just an awesome movie with quotable lines that no one saw then I vote "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" cause nobody saw that, but it is just SOOOOO good.

Also grats on the little flesh blob Chris.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Chris Pranger said:
We had that one on our list as well but cut it when we agreed that the Big Lebowski has permeated the Internet too fully to be considered "cult" anymore.
I could imagine the same conversation happening for The Room, too.

Frozengale said:
If a cult classic is just an awesome movie with quotable lines that no one saw then I vote "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" cause nobody saw that, but it is just SOOOOO good.
It's young, so I'm not sure it's there yet. But, I'm sure it will get there. Great flick.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Frozengale said:

Also grats on the little flesh blob Chris.
Yeeeees, that movie is so good. (Dan runs out to buy it)

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Dead Century said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Vampire_Hunter

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. So bad, it's good. Not sure if many people have heard of it, though.
I love this movie. It transcends the budget in a way 8 legged freaks never could.