No Right Answer: Best Cutscenes Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Cutscenes Ever

New cutscenes have been inserted to "Fix" the ending of Mass Effect 3, thus proving the power of good cutscenes in any game. What game wields that power towards the greatest end?

Watch Video

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
oh boy does it feel like this episode will get lots of hate.

Of these two, I haven't actually played Max Payne, but the Brawl cutscenes were definitely awesome. I agree more with what Kyle was saying though, so I agree with the outcome.

Not sure what I would choose, hrrmmm...

Edit: So the Metal Gear games (rightfully) get a lot of flack for their abundance of cutscenes, but I really think they are also some of the best, especially Snake Eater. Maybe the awesome parts don't make up for the extremely long-winded parts, but I'M RIGHT DAMMIT!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Final Fantasy what? Mass Effect what? Dragon Age what? Left 4 Dead what? Command and Conquer what? Diablo 3 what?

I could go on and on.

I know you somewhat touched on them existing but this was "BEST cutscenes ever" and neither of those games comes anywhere close. Not even the same ballpark.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I have to say that the best cutscenes ever were from the original StarCraft. Each cutscene was a short little reward for making it past certain milestones in the campaign. More importantly, more than any other Blizzard game, the cutscenes in StarCraft got progressively more cool the more difficult the preceding missions were.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Heh, good timing on this one. The next game in my queue is a replay of Max Payne, because I've never played Max Payne 2.

So Chris got hired by Nintendo? Nice!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I have not played the original Max Payne, but I have seen some of the cutscenes. They are very well made. I personally prefer the Brawl cutscenes, though. There's just a little more charm to seeing characters interact without actually saying anything. The fact that they are (mostly) iconic Nintendo characters makes it even more charming. It knew what it was, and did it well enough. I do think the better argument was made for Max Payne, though.

Unrelated: Nothing beats the little tea time scene in brawl

My personal favorite cutscenes: I do think MGS deserves a lot of the flack they get, but the cutscenes are also certainly memorable, and have solid gameplay behind them unlike a lot of other cutscene heavy games. 1 and 3 in particular get the nod from me.

PS: Congrats to Chris on the new job.

Tturbo

Mar 10, 2011
I have to say that I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution's cutscenes, they cut the game at a reasonable pace to give the narrative... But it's the maximum amount of cutscenes I could take into a game before getting bored of them. Saint Row 3 had some wacky cutscenes too. XD

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I enjoyed the cutscenes from Red Alert 2 and it's expansion.
I think the purpose of a cutscene really depends on what one is trying to achieve with their game. I haven't played Max Payne so it's hard for me to say for sure, but from the sounds of it the cutscenes in Max Payne did what they were supposed to do as did the ones in Brawl.
Regardless one thing is for certain cutscenes need to be short, sweet, and to the point so as not to rob the player of gameplay. I'm looking at you Star Ocean: Last Hope. Yes that whole
giant space dragon
looked really cool and all, but the effect was kinda lost on me since I was on the verge of nodding off.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
No Blizzard? OK then.

Of the two choices I agree that Max Payne is better but there was really no contest. Brawl is fine for what it is, but the panels showing us Max Payne's tortured life in that game were definitively amazing. At the time there was nothing else like it.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Eri said:
I know you somewhat touched on them existing but this was "BEST cutscenes ever" and neither of those games comes anywhere close. Not even the same ballpark.
Hey, at least the chosen two are far better than what you listed. Reason being because I said so!
Funny how opinions work.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
burningdragoon said:
Edit: So the Metal Gear games (rightfully) get a lot of flack for their abundance of cutscenes, but I really think they are also some of the best, especially Snake Eater. Maybe the awesome parts don't make up for the extremely long-winded parts, but I'M RIGHT DAMMIT!
I for one enjoy Kojima's work, regardless of his long windedness. He also has a great imagination when it comes to cut scenes.

Such as..
Snake vs Gray Fox (Twin Snakes)

Raiden vs Vamp MGS4

Or Snake vs Ocelet + GRU in MGS3

Sure, some of them can be long, but the ones like these are highly entertaining. Now the ones where they're explaining stuff, and he repeats the questions, those get old...

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
As far as memorable and setting the mood I would have to go with Command and Conquer myself, though I'm not sure which of those games I liked the most for cheesy live action cutscenes and occasional battle cinematics. But they made up a big part of the personality for all the games.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Eri said:
Final Fantasy what? Mass Effect what? Dragon Age what? Left 4 Dead what? Command and Conquer what? Diablo 3 what?
Not going to touch Command and Conquer or Left for Dead, but I think the conversational scenes are technically gameplay, so some could argue that the Bioware games have the least amount of cutscenes there is.
And they mentioned Final Fantasy games, they're under the 'gets in the way of gameplay' section, thoguh I agree more with you, seeing as no one plays final fantasy for the 'playing' part.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Best cutscenes... that's a weird one.

I've never really been that interested by comic book style cutscenes. They're okay but really over rated. They're essentially a static picture with a voice over. You can barely even call them cutscenes.

I would say maybe GTA or L.A. Noire. I know the guys said they get in the way in Rockstar games, but that's crap. In every single one I've played they haven't at all.

megaadair

Jul 11, 2011
Wrong. Its the one from mass effect 2 when they're escaping the collector base. Super bad guy speech, awesome music and just escaping from a giant explosion. Superjolly.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
I like the trolling of having FFVII pretty prominently displayed there. Well played sirs.

Let's see, good cutscenes....

Disgaea

Awww yeeah

Or Tales games, the little side cutscenes you can run into are the best ever. Funny, expositional, character building, and if you don't want to sit through them, skip them.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I think you guys need to drop the "Best Ever" part of your continuing arguments and just go "Better than his pick" because... yeah, as pointed out by others, neither of these games should be in contention for "Best Ever." Glad you addressed that point at the very end, while I was already over here typing this only listening to you two go on about the things you didn't bother including in your argument, but that doesn't change my comment. Try Better than rather than Best, because the off the wall picks are fun to listen to, but the whole time I am listening I'm just disagreeing with your selection in my head rather than even listening to you argue or engaging the content of your videos at this point.