No Right Answer: Best Dreamworks Film Ever

rayen020

May 20, 2009
If you haven't read the books then How to Train Your Dragon is the best dreamworks movie. If you have then it's terrible.

The comments have reminded me that dreamworks did movies that were not CGI before Shrek and i'm kinda wondering if those were included. The road to EL Dorado is a film that has never gotten old for me. Shrek was good but has not aged well. And Kung Fu Panda I have problems with because it squandered alot of really good ideas and moments.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
I really dont see the big deal with how to train your dragon, yeah its good, but the best movie ever? come on its not even the best dreamworks movie. dont get me wrong its good, but not great, its plot is well trodden, boy outcast finds pet, its been done before and it follows all the beats of those movies and every other kids movie, a small nitpick of mine is that Jay Baruchels voice is really grating and he sounds nothing like Gerard Butler his father, how does he not pick up any of his father speech patters. also Scottish vikings, and if viking are Scottish why arnt they all Scottish, if your going to given them a fake accent make it consistent.

OT. my favorite dreamworks movie is kung fu panda 2 because of gary oldmans peacock character.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Nit pick of the week: In the still shown, Will Smith is saying "Welcome to earf", not "walk da earf". You were thinking of Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction when you brought up that line.

At any rate, it's true that HTTYD is a stark departure from the book, in which the dragons are pets and not nemeses, they talk, and Toothless is like a two-outta-ten dragon, and not the most awesome and rare mystical dragon of all. But taken by itself, it was an awesome movie, I loved all the characters in it (leaving aside that Vikings weren't Scots), and I'll watch just about anything with Craig Ferguson in it.

It's also an example of how the animation is getting so good now that people are starting to take it for granted; the movie looks amazing when you stop and really look at it; kinda like Cars if you look at it as What Film Could Accomplish in 2006, rather than What Toys a Film Could Sell in 2006 And Never Mind The Thin Story.

But leaving aside the omission of that gem, Kung Fu Panda was the way better movie of these two. It looked incredible, there was great voice talent in it, and the kung fu fights were everything you loved from ridiculous kung fu films, presented entirely un-ironically and expecting you to love them.

And I did.

And also, RIP Michael Clarke Duncan.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
PunkRex said:
El Portero said:
Kung Fu Panda is light years beyond Shrek. Hell, even Shrek 2 is better than Shrek. It doesn't matter anyway because How to Train Your Dragon renders this entire debate moot.
True facts, Shrek may have been a game changer but it felt a little unfinished, at least until the second one rolled around...
I seems to be in the minority here because I like the first Shrek better than the second one. It had its problems (specifically, the lack of a middle act), but it was enjoyable and all the jokes were referential to the fairy tale setting, unlike later ones that seems too busy passing references to pop culture and E! Entertainment as jokes.

But I agree, Kung Fu Panda is better than any Shrek movie.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
hermes200 said:
PunkRex said:
El Portero said:
Kung Fu Panda is light years beyond Shrek. Hell, even Shrek 2 is better than Shrek. It doesn't matter anyway because How to Train Your Dragon renders this entire debate moot.
True facts, Shrek may have been a game changer but it felt a little unfinished, at least until the second one rolled around...
I seems to be in the minority here because I like the first Shrek better than the second one. It had its problems (specifically, the lack of a middle act), but it was enjoyable and all the jokes were referential to the fairy tale setting, unlike later ones that seems too busy passing references to pop culture and E! Entertainment as jokes.

But I agree, Kung Fu Panda is better than any Shrek movie.
In the first one they seemed to be more about breaking the mold then making a character, which was fine it was the point of the movie after all, they just felt more complete in the second one, for me at least.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I was gonna say...if Kung Fu Panda beat out Shrek in this episode, then the fix is in and Chris always wins no matter what.

Thankfully, that's not the case. :p

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
How on Earth is "How to Train Your Dragon" NOT a contender?

Thats like Up not being considered one of Pixar's greatest movies.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
You guys couldn't be more wrong. The best is obviously How to Train- oh... you brought up. I see. Well played.

I'd probably say I like Kung Fu Panda more than Shrek though.

wiz828

Nov 30, 2012
If the question is "What is the quintessential Dreamworks Movie?" The answer is indeed Shrek.

If the question is "What's the best Dreamworks Movie?" The answer should be How to train your dragon. I know not everyone will agree, but you don't need everyone to agree on the best, you just need a majority and I'm 100% convinced that majority exists.

Pedro_chileno

May 16, 2011
kung fu panda 2.
Love the villain ( by Gary Oldman )
Love The relationship with the father
Love The action
etc

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
God-freaking-dammit I hate Shrek!

Kyle should have lost a point for even mentioning the whole whole "Matrix! Lololol!" thing ¬_¬

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I second Kung Fu Panda, though its sad to be watching it with family and be told that "I can totally see Po in you [personality, interests, etc.]".

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
artanis_neravar said:
You mention How to Train Your Dragon, but nothing about Madagascar, Chicken Run, or Road to El Dorada? For shame
I'm almost certain Chicken Run was Aardman Animation.

OT: Yep, Shrek deserved to win. Kung Fu Panda was good, but it was essentially a standard hero's journey with some good jokes. And I've never seen How to Train Your Dragon.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
TheSchaef said:
Nit pick of the week: In the still shown, Will Smith is saying "Welcome to earf", not "walk da earf". You were thinking of Samuel Jackson in Pulp Fiction when you brought up that line.

At any rate, it's true that HTTYD is a stark departure from the book, in which the dragons are pets and not nemeses, they talk, and Toothless is like a two-outta-ten dragon, and not the most awesome and rare mystical dragon of all. But taken by itself, it was an awesome movie, I loved all the characters in it (leaving aside that Vikings weren't Scots), and I'll watch just about anything with Craig Ferguson in it.

It's also an example of how the animation is getting so good now that people are starting to take it for granted; the movie looks amazing when you stop and really look at it; kinda like Cars if you look at it as What Film Could Accomplish in 2006, rather than What Toys a Film Could Sell in 2006 And Never Mind The Thin Story.

But leaving aside the omission of that gem, Kung Fu Panda was the way better movie of these two. It looked incredible, there was great voice talent in it, and the kung fu fights were everything you loved from ridiculous kung fu films, presented entirely un-ironically and expecting you to love them.

And I did.

And also, RIP Michael Clarke Duncan.

While we usually bow to being wrong when people point out things, I (Dan) have to object to your nitpick of the week. The will smith picture is, in fact, from the scene when he so famously says "Welcome to Earf". Yes, you are right. The reason it was chosen as the image was due to Will Smith being mentioned during the debate, since "Welcome to earf" sounds very similar to "Walk da earf". I'm just trying to say it was deliberate, but if the joke has to be explained, then it's not funny, so you still win!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Caffeine_Bombed said:
God-freaking-dammit I hate Shrek!

Kyle should have lost a point for even mentioning the whole whole "Matrix! Lololol!" thing ¬_¬
Saying without Shrek, Kung Fu Panda wouldn't have existed is such cop-out way to give it an extra point. I'm not a Shrek fan, so I wouldn't have gone with that film, The Prince of Egypt would have been my pick. partly because despite my indifference toward religion etc, that movie was interesting and the presented things in a way that showed both the main characters as people, rather then one being the straight up good guy and one being evil from the get go.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010

Discussion over.

Kung Fu Panda 2 comes a close second, it was a true improvement over the first film in every way.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
El Portero said:
I only got to see the tail end of Panda so I can merely state that yeah, Shrek 1-2 were the ones worth watching. I wish my parents hadn't made me sit through that bloody dogawful forth movie.

And yeah, How to Train Your Dragon is probably going to remain my favorite Dreamworks film. It still kind of astounds me though how the show missed what made the movie so good, instead focusing on tropes and turning Astrid into a character with multiple personality disorder without ever admitting to it (one week she's jealous and powerful, another she's the comedy relief and stupid, another she's the awkward friend you try to hide from when at the same restaurant on a date, and no reason or continuity as to why). Bah, rant aside, still best movie I saw them come up with.