No Right Answer: Best Dystopian Badass Ever

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Akichi Daikashima said:
You guys forgot about Gordon Freeman.

Or did you deliberately leave him out?(To tick off fanboys like me)
Dr.Awkward said:
How can you forget this guy?
I think they wanted actual characters that emote, not mutes who don't.

ether way, he'd have still lost to Dread :p

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
kailus13 said:
Unicorn Judge Dan was the best thing about today's episode. Never actually watched Escape from New York, so I can't really make any better comments.
1. You are correct. Unicorn Judge Dredd Dan was genius.

2. Your homework assignment is to watch Escape from New York, which is an incredible film. Escape from LA is utter crap, so skip it.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Susan Arendt said:
kailus13 said:
Unicorn Judge Dan was the best thing about today's episode. Never actually watched Escape from New York, so I can't really make any better comments.
1. You are correct. Unicorn Judge Dredd Dan was genius.

2. Your homework assignment is to watch Escape from New York, which is an incredible film. Escape from LA is utter crap, so skip it.
Jeez teach, get off my back! (I will actually watch it at some point. When I find the time.)

rayen020

May 20, 2009
well for episode 100 really the only thing you can do is play another round of Who Would Win.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
Firefilm said:
Best Dystopian Badass Ever

When the world goes to poop, there's nothing left to do but grimace. Who grimaces the best?

Watch Video
dystopia is actually not an opressive government (just the most used method) as central point, but a very undesirable society in general so mad max for example is dystopian too
firefly would be borderline since only parts are actually dystopian and those are not in focus of the story

Firefilm said:
American Fox said:
Book of Eli. He did it all, and was BLIND.
Great movie, but that's post-apocalyptic, not dystopian! But yea, he kicked all the butts
actually most post apocalyptic settings are dystopias too....

Crimson_Dragoon said:
While yes, Dredd deserves the win, I'm surprised no one mentioned that Snake Pliskin is the basis of one of video gaming's most popular badasses, Solid Snake (and Big Boss before him). That should have been worth a point.

Darth_Payn said:
Kyle, I think you missed an opportunity to say that Snake Pliskin was at least a partial inspiration for Solid Snake! And this episode should have been a 3-way with Judge Dredd vs. Snake Pliskin vs. Mad Max. How'd you leave that guy out?
Simple. This was the best dystopian badass. Mad Max is from a post-apocalypse, not a dystopia. They distinguish between the two in the beginning of the video.
yeah that would be a great argument if it weren't both... like waterworld for example
if you want dystopia without post apocalypse look for red dwarf (british tv series) or planet of the apes

also judge dredd is actually post apocalyptic and dystopian with most of the world being radio active wasteland because of wars....

Fazit: Dystopia is just the opposite of Utopia meaning a world in which people are miserable or we would feel miserable (e.g. Blade Runner)

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Actually, the death penalty in the Dredd universe is pretty rare. Only multiple murderers or Judge killers get the instant shot-to-the-head treatment. That being said, he can and does kill in self defense a lot. Oh, and you got the democracy thing wrong. Dredd's dark side comes out in Judge Dredd: America/Democracy when you see how things go down when he does as he is told, or how the law will allow, which is usually how he operates.

By the way, Judge Dredd: America/Democracy is the absolute best comic book story arc of all time.
Yep.

One more thing:

Your Snake Plissken arguments are invalidated.

Scarim Coral said:
While I was favouring Dredd but that info with the crossover with Batman and knock him out was a bonus!
It's old, but it's still probably the best cross-company crossover there is.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Crimson_Dragoon said:
While yes, Dredd deserves the win, I'm surprised no one mentioned that Snake Pliskin is the basis of one of video gaming's most popular badasses, Solid Snake (and Big Boss before him). That should have been worth a point.

Darth_Payn said:
Kyle, I think you missed an opportunity to say that Snake Pliskin was at least a partial inspiration for Solid Snake! And this episode should have been a 3-way with Judge Dredd vs. Snake Pliskin vs. Mad Max. How'd you leave that guy out?
Simple. This was the best dystopian badass. Mad Max is from a post-apocalypse, not a dystopia. They distinguish between the two in the beginning of the video.
Nope. Max Max isn't post-apocalypse. Just a run down future with Biker gangs, lawlessness, a looming energy crisis, and one cop trying to do what is right

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm trying to see if anyone from this film fits, but I don't think so.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/RepoGeneticOperaOfficialPoster.jpg/215px-RepoGeneticOperaOfficialPoster.jpg

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
You guys forgot about Gordon Freeman.

Or did you deliberately leave him out?(To tick off fanboys like me)
Dr.Awkward said:
How can you forget this guy?
I think they wanted actual characters that emote, not mutes who don't.

ether way, he'd have still lost to Dread :p
Sorry, I don't think he can hear you over his crowbar in Dredd's head.

Also gravity gun.

Whenever he pulls that out, you will lose.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I think you guys better take this episode off the air now and save yourselves the embarrassment. Nevermind Gordon Freeman, which could easily be a candidate. I have only two words...

Mad...

... Max.

It doesn't get any more dystopian and it doesn't get any MORE badass than that.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Grammaton Cleric John Preston from the movie Equilibrium. This film is definitely set in a dystopian 1984 like universe. The character is definitely a badass with his knowledge of the Gun-Katas.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
It's a bit disturbing that someone as badass as Judge Dredd lives in a world so similar to the ruling of the inquisition in the past.

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
Lovesfool said:
Mad...

... Max.

It doesn't get any more dystopian and it doesn't get any MORE badass than that.
Mad Max is post-apocalyptic, not dystopian.