No Right Answer: Best Launch Title Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Launch Title Ever

With the impending release of the Xbone and PS4 we give you the debate you all have been waiting for, what is the best launch title ever.

Watch Video

varmintx

Oct 6, 2011
I believe that result is the equivalent of Glass Jaw Joe knocking out Mike Tyson. :)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I like how they have the fatass SMT IV special addition box crammed in next to the other 3DS games on the shelf.

OT: As much as I don't really care for Wii Sports... I'd have to agree. It moved A LOT of consoles.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I'd like to argue for Halo, but I just can't be bothered. Fun episode you guys. :)

Salieri82

Mar 3, 2010
I'm gonna have to go with the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo pack for the NES. That one cartridge was largely responsible for turning Nintendo into the multinational corporate behemoth we know and love today.

(I'm gonna get that smug bastard dog one of these days...)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
It was the enthusiastic positive "Alright Great!" response that made the cameo work so well.

I have to agree with Wii Sports on this one. It had the most influential impact on the market and was a legitimately fun game to boot. I wouldn't say it 'stands the test of time' all that well. I'd have WAY more fun going back to play Super Mario Bros, Mario 64, etc than I would Wii Sports.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone going to look back fondly on Wii Sports? Having trouble wrapping my head around it winning. I also feel like Soul Calibur for Dreamcast should get special mention for being a really good launch game.

Traveling Hero

Jun 3, 2012
Wii Sports was a good choice, but I'm surprised by no mention of Tetris (Gameboy). Without that game, I suspect handhelds would never have caught on like they did. And, by extension, mobile gaming would have been years behind where it is now.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
The best launch title ever surely has to be Super Mario Bros. for the NES.
That game taught people who never played a video game in their life all its essential moves literally on the first screen, and was a great game to boot.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Kyle: "Yahtzee, do you have something to say about this episode?"
Yahtzee: "No."

Glad to have your input Yahtzee. Always a pleasure.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I was honestly expecting Yahtzee to have a bigger part in this episode, even making it a 3 way debate.
erbkaiser said:
The best launch title ever surely has to be Super Mario Bros. for the NES.
That game taught people who never played a video game in their life all its essential moves literally on the first screen, and was a great game to boot.
Amen, brother. That game was most likely the first game any of us have played.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Mario 64 was like an event for me, not just a "must buy", it was a "must NEED" game, I mean, I certainly DID bought an N64 just because of this game alone, seriously, without them pink nostalgia googles, gameplay wise it still holds up pretty well today, heck, freaking Psychonauts can't hold a candle to Super Mario 64!*

Wii Sports was a fantastic title too, but it certainly was a nice little diversion and one of the funniest party games I've ever played (Mario Party 2 is still the best), but I didn't bought a Wii just because of Wii Sports. It's a shame Mario Galaxy wasn't a launch title, because I'd certainly would've bought the Wii just for that title alone and it's the only game (along with Mario Galaxy 2) that I consider "better" than Mario 64.

[small]*Come at me bro[/small]

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
I got an N64 just for Goldeneye, it was a few years after that that i even played Mario 64. I'm not sure how instrumental Wii Sports actually was in shifting consoles (a lot of people I know who aren't into video games but bought a wii did so for wii fit) but it fair to say that by virtue of being bundled with every console it was far more ubiquitous that SM64.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Arslan Aladeen said:
Is anyone going to look back fondly on Wii Sports? Having trouble wrapping my head around it winning.
It is probably the strangest conclusion I've seen them come to in a while. In 17 years no one is going to look back as fondly at Wii Sports as they do Mario 64. In 17 years, nothing substantive is going to play like Wii Sports anymore because motion controls will have either died or evolved in some way that makes sure they don't suck. Meanwhile, Mario 64 set the standard for the 3D platformer. It's the template that people still build off of to this day in that genre. I doubt we'll ever be saying that about Wii Sports, particularly since the motion controls didn't even work that well in it. And saying that Wii Sports changed the face of gaming by making multiplayer integral to every series being released? No. Didn't happen that way. Anyone who thinks that multiplayer is important in games now because of a simple party game on the Wii that appealed to a completely different market for completely different reasons than games like Halo and Modern Warfare which actually caused online multiplayer on consoles to literally explode onto the scene is delusional. It didn't happen that way at all.

At best, Wii Sports is a poorly made tech demo for the Wii motion controls which stays fun for about a grand total of 20 minutes before you put it down and never touch it again. An hour, maybe, if you play it with friends. And it's had no real lasting impact on the medium since the people who bought Wii's for it have already moved on and never made anyone but Nintendo money anyway. And even Nintendo has basically abandoned the motion controls it supposedly pioneered because they're a controller dead end.

I also feel like Soul Calibur for Dreamcast should get special mention for being a really good launch game.
Honestly, most of the Dreamcast launch lineup could easily be placed on the same level as Mario 64 in terms of how much fun they were. Easily the best launch lineup in history. Absolutely no other console came close, and I don't know if any will again.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Yahtzee's insight was truly profound, I must ponder his word of wisdom and discern its deeper meaning ....

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube launched with Super Smash Bros. Melee, so I'm just going to have to pick that as my favorite launch title.

Actually, I have to say that the Gamecube had my favorite launch lineup overall. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and SSBM were all fantastic titles.