No Right Answer: Best Launch Title Ever

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I'mma have to jump on the Halo bandwagon for this one. It moved consoles, changed the face of console gaming, it was re-released for the 360 and people bought it again.

However of the two choices... I didn't get a N64 or a Wii, so by proxy I didn't get Mario 64 or Wii Sports. All I can say is that I have played Mario 64 once back in the day and was not impressed. I disliked the controller more than anything. I have played Wii Sports on multiple occasions. Mostly drunk at parties, but I have played it more. Wii Sports is the winner to me.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube launched with Super Smash Bros. Melee, so I'm just going to have to pick that as my favorite launch title.

Actually, I have to say that the Gamecube had my favorite launch lineup overall. Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and SSBM were all fantastic titles.
Super Smash Bros Melee was sadly not a launch title. It was close (only a few months), but it didn't launch with the console. Even stranger, Pikmin didn't come out until the day after the GameCube launched, technically not making it a launch title either. What a weird world we live in.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Song brought out the Playstation move, years before Nintendo did the wii.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
The winner of this depends on what the competition is about. If we're talking about a system seller, then it's Wii Sports without a doubt. Wii Sports was a game that people were willing to buy a Wii for, well over MSRP, just to play. It hit the casual market in a way that gaming has never seen before. The audience ranged from tiny children to old retired folks. It's a game that anyone could play and perfectly showed off what the Wii was best at. It wasn't very fleshed out or, frankly, all that good except as a 'party game.' But when it came to that, there wasn't anything really better. Frankly, Wii Sports was an amazing game with how much of an impact it had. Maybe not to those of us who are 'hardcore.' But to Nintendo's sales and the casual market, it was a smash hit. Hell, if I'm not mistaken, it's overtaken Super Mario Bros as the highest selling game of all time.

If we're talking about overall impact, I'd say that honor goes to Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. It's pretty clearly the game that has had the biggest total impact on the gaming industry. Though that might not count due to the fact it wasn't a release game for the original system in Japan, even though it was one for the US.

Personally, if it comes down to which we enjoy more, I'd give it to Luigi's Mansion, assuming that was a launch title. I loved Mario 64, and I loved Halo, and etc. But the Mansion will always hold a special spot in my heart.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Kind of misleading, maybe?

I thought this was gonna hit more than the n64 and the wii.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Halo pretty much saved XBOX, compelling sales for the entire first year of its launch.

Can't remember, was FFX a launch title?

Would have to agree with Wii Sports from a marketing standpoint, though I cared little for the game. It depends on what criteria you are using: quality as a game, appeal to hardcore/casuals, or impact on the platform.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Vivi22 said:
Honestly, most of the Dreamcast launch lineup could easily be placed on the same level as Mario 64 in terms of how much fun they were. Easily the best launch lineup in history. Absolutely no other console came close, and I don't know if any will again.
Most people will never know how awesome the Dreamcast was for the short time it was around. Sega just doesn't seem the same since then to me.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Defintely have to agree on Wii Sports. Mostly because...THIS was the game that got my NON-GAME-PLAYING PARENTS to want to try and play games. No joke! When you can create a game that even NON-gamers want to play, that says something.

(Nowadays...my mom is addicted to Candy Crush and wants/needs to get back into the Brain Age titles I bought for so her mind doesn't atrophy.)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If it turns out that Wii Sports isn't the best selling game of this console generation I'll genuinely be shocked. I agree that it's the Best Nintendo Launch Title Ever, I think Wii Sports and Halo: CE will probably have a bloody fight to the death on Best Launch Title Ever. One sold millions of a console, the other saved the console.

Also brilliant input from Yahtzee, I could tell that he was clearly in the building too.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Another vote for Halo here. Probably the only justification for having owned the original Xbox.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Proverbial Jon said:
Another vote for Halo here. Probably the only justification for having owned the original Xbox.
Sorry guys, but this ^^

Love it or hate it now, Halo was about the only Xbox title worth playing at launch. And since Bungie had been working on it since at least 1998, there was a whole ton of frenzy that came with it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wii Sports doubtless moved more systems, but I don't think it had the same impact on a generation. Nintendo's moved on to a new control gimmick, but they're still doing Mario 64-style games.

bdcjacko said:
Best use of a Yahtzee cameo ever.
No.