No Right Answer: Best Nicktoon Ever

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
INeedAName said:
How could Avatar: The Last Airbender possibly NOT be the greatest Nicktoon? It's one of the greatest cartoons of all time (and an all around great show in general!)
I was on my way in here to basically say this. So thanks for saving me the trouble.

And I'll leave you with this:

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Mikeyfell said:
FightingFurball said:
Mikeyfell said:
Unfortunately this topic DOES have a right answer, but a debate between Avatar: The Last Airbender vs. Avater: The Last Airbender wouldn't have been very much fun to watch
Brings me to the idea of Avatar: The Last Airbender vs Batman: The Animated Series though, that would be fun to watch ^^
that would be a great one for "best cartoon ever"
Though that might be a 3 person debate Batman vs. Avatar vs. Gargoyles

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
Reed Spacer said:
Batman the Animated Series - the one Batman cartoon that didn't suck ass.
...and gave us Mark Hamill Joker. That alone made it awesome.

Granted, Troy Baker looks like he has that voice down pat...but Hamill still owns. (I still want to hear Baker do the "One Bad Day" speech like Hamill did [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0R_2K9iec].)
not only that. it also gave us Harley Quinn :)
and the best looking catwoman :)

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
INeedAName said:
How could Avatar: The Last Airbender possibly NOT be the greatest Nicktoon? It's one of the greatest cartoons of all time (and an all around great show in general!)
You see that was the question I had.... DOES Avatar the last Airbender COUNT as a "Nicktoon"? Don't get me wrong I am a HUGE AtLA fanboy, in fact The series on DVD is really all I want for Christmas. But I am not sure if Avatar counts as a "Nicktoon" When I think of Nicktoons I think of the shows from 1990-2000, but that could just be because that was when I was an avid Nick watcher.

GamemasterAnthony said:
Reed Spacer said:

Granted, Troy Baker looks like he has that voice down pat...but Hamill still owns. (I still want to hear Baker do the "One Bad Day" speech like Hamill did [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0R_2K9iec].)

Well Avatar gave us Mako Iroh AND Ruffio as Prince Zuko.... So yeah...

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
Reed Spacer said:

You know that wasn't actually Mark Hamill, right? It was a voice actor impessionist:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pgirts?feature=watch

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Reed Spacer said:
Are you saying The Adventures of Batman & Robin, The New Batman Adventures and Batman Beyond sucked? o_O
Ever watch Beware the Batman?
Yes, it's not horrible. Nowhere near as good as the Timmverse, but not as bad as Brave and the Bold. I'd put it on the level of The Batman.

Donbett1974

Jan 28, 2009
Reed Spacer said:
What about Batman Beyond that was amazing Batman show. Avatar: The Last Airbender was the best Nick cartoon/anime.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
IMO, this debate should have been between Fairly Odd Parents and Invader Zim. Mostly because those are the only two Nicktoons I actually liked besides Jimmy Neutron.

Spongebob is one of the worst, most overrated, unfunny cartoons ever made. My hate for that show burns with the passion of a thousand suns. That yellow abomination set back children's cartoons an entire decade.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
As the authority on what we do and do not count as Nicktoons on No Right Answer, Avatar does not count as a Nicktoon.

It is one of my favorite shows and easily one of the best things Nick (or any network) has ever aired, but I wouldn't define it as a Nicktoon in any sense of the word, and if we were to include it in this debate, I'd be arguing that it's a very bad Nicktoon for not being at all like what we expect a Nicktoon to be.

I'm glad we got that out of the way. But please do continue mentioning that we forgot to mention it in the comments here. :)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
1 Ren & Stimpy
2 Rocko's Modern Life
3 Fairly Odd Parents
4 Spongebob

So good win for Rocko there!

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I'd have to agree with Avatar being the best Nicktoon. I originally bagged on the show, since I disliked Nick in general after the early 90's.

Avatar proved itself despite that. However, I always got the feeling that Avatar was a show that just HAPPENED to be on Nick...like they shopped around the concept, and Nick happened to pick it up.

Certainly, it wasn't standard Nick fair, which was refreshing to me.

Conversely, "The Batman" wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Moreover, there were aspects of the show that an older fan couldn't help but hate. Of course, new fans would have nothing to compare it against. Still, one need only compare "The Batman" to the "Timmverse" and see which is superior.

I take it as an interesting alterniverse, but it's a "meh" for me, and not memorable. Nor would I rewatch it with any sort of regularity.

On to the classic Nicktoons...I must be one of the few people who just didn't like any of those weird shows. As a kid, they just freaked me out, both the animation and the content. That was part of my dislike for Beavis & Butthead, as well as 2 Stupid Dogs. The subsequent shows seemed to be extensions of that style which disturbed me.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Never really liked Spongebob or Rocko all that much. Rocko was better but they both felt slightly more "filler over killer", a lot of episodes seemed rushed and more about the laughs than telling a good story.

The best for me was Hey Arnold, followed by Ren and Stimpy. Hey Arnold was just quality all the way, it was a bit wild but sensible, touching but grounded. It was a great show and always told a ripping yarn.

In fact I'd place them like this:
1. Hey Arnold
2. Ren & Stimpy
3. Rugrats
4. Doug
The rest of them. And yeah, I'd call Rocko the "best of the rest".

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
As happy as I am that Rocko (and Lisa) won, I'm disappointed Ren & Stimpy was not even in this debate! That was the best! Singly the most bizarre thing my 8-year-old self has ever laid eyes upon. I can't imagine what cartoons would be like without it!
Now if we want to debate the best Cartoon Network original series, I put forth Adventure Time. Never before have I seen a kids-targeted show so liberally throw around the word "sucks".

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
To everyone saying 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' you are right, it is a GREAT show. That said, it isn't exactly what I would call a Nicktoon. A:TLA is far to epic in scope too fit into what I classify a Nicktoon as. A Nicktoon, to me, is very episodic and has few multi-part stories.

In a Nicktoon you can just pick a random episode and get the gist of what's going on and enjoy it. In A:TLA if it was your first viewing and you saw channel surfed your way into the Season 2 premier you would be confused as hell. If it was Spongebob or Rocko on the other hand and you channel surfed your way into an episode, you could understand what was going on.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
You know, all I've determined after reading the comments is that we can probably gauge everyone's age based on which cartoons were running when they were watching Nick.

That, and Avatar is awesome and doesn't fit the mold of a Nicktoon.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
FightingFurball said:
Mikeyfell said:
FightingFurball said:
Mikeyfell said:
Unfortunately this topic DOES have a right answer, but a debate between Avatar: The Last Airbender vs. Avater: The Last Airbender wouldn't have been very much fun to watch
Brings me to the idea of Avatar: The Last Airbender vs Batman: The Animated Series though, that would be fun to watch ^^
that would be a great one for "best cartoon ever"
Though that might be a 3 person debate Batman vs. Avatar vs. Gargoyles
Batman vs. Avatar vs. Gargoyles vs. MLP
[sub]There I said it![/sub]

If they did that it would have to be like their "best Pixar movie" episode where by the end there were they just keep jumping from great show to great show and never end up picking a winner

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I think Lisa could have easily slammed the nail in the coffin by mentioning how much more QUOTABLE Rocko's Modern Life was compared to Spongebob. That and Rocko's Modern Life not only had some moments of adult humor, but it was a genuinely mature show that stays relevant from childhood and on. I dare anyone who watched that show as a kid to rewatch any episode where Hoeffer is having family issues and not have all the feels. I thought that show was a perfect example of how a cartoon can blend flat-out wacky with real issues.

Remember folks, Chokey Chicken is people!

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I can still enjoy the Spongebob episodes from the early days but I do agree that Rocko's Modern Life best reflects what a Nicktoon is. The 90's show the Nicktoons and then things changed around 2003 or so.

XX Y XY

Apr 2, 2011
This debate should have been Ren and Stimpy Vs Avatar. These 2 shows are leagues better than any other Nick cartoon.