No Right Answer: Best Post SNL Career Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Post SNL Career Ever

Saturday Night Live has given the world many great comedians, but sometimes it's hard to shake off the ball and chain of where you came from. Which comedian has done it best?

Watch Video

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
You guys are definitely right about the real winner being Tina Fey. She is pretty and an awesome actress.

Jan 12, 2012
You're scoring system is not calibrated correctly; punching Chevy Chase has to be worth at least 5.

Cue 300 comments about Dan Aykroyd and Chris Rock. I'm just glad you mentioned Tina Fey at the end, or the internet might have exploded in rage.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It's kinda unfair to pit them together only because neither career is entirely over but one has been around for significantly longer than the other. Oddly enough, this was used as both a positive and negative for Bill Murray. He did own a decade but has also become significantly less relevant today whereas Will Ferrell is all over the place now but of course doesn't have the massive history of classics to his name that Murray has been able to build up by being around for decades more. They're simply two different generations and the question is whether or not this seasons is Will's peak in the same way Murray's decade was back then or does Will have a lot more up his sleeve to come.

Good topic, it's at least making me think about it.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I do agree that, of the choices presented, Bill Murray is the better pick. However, I was kind of surprised that Chris Rock wasn't in the running. While maybe not as accomplished as Mr. Murray, the overall shift in popularity is much more drastic with Chris Rock. He went from forgettable SNL cast member to superstar comedian in the matter of a few years after his departure.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
The problem with Chris Rock is that he's not really known as a SNL cast member like Ferrell or Murray. If you're going to include Chris Rock, you might as well go with Robert Downey Jr.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Heck just for female cast members I'd go with Jane Curtin over Tina Fey any day. Although again if its any cast member I'd go Julia Louis Dreyfus over both.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I DID NOT WANT THAT!

And really, I'm fairly certain that the debate ended at Ghostbusters.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
el_kabong said:
I do agree that, of the choices presented, Bill Murray is the better pick. However, I was kind of surprised that Chris Rock wasn't in the running. While maybe not as accomplished as Mr. Murray, the overall shift in popularity is much more drastic with Chris Rock. He went from forgettable SNL cast member to superstar comedian in the matter of a few years after his departure.
Chris Rock has a successful career but was nowhere as insanely popular as Bill or Will. They pitted two explosive careers together and that's really the way to do it. Adam Sandler also had an explosive career for awhile then but it burnt out too quickly whereas Chris has a solid career without the huge explosive successes.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Matt K said:
Heck just for female cast members I'd go with Jane Curtin over Tina Fey any day. Although again if its any cast member I'd go Julia Louis Dreyfus over both.
You phrased that weird. Like if you had to pick a woman then Jane Curtin but if it was opened up then Julia Louis Dreyfus. Sounds like you're saying she's a man.
Oh no. What I was going for is that out of all the female cast members Dreyfus has the best post SNL career but unlike Fey or Curtin she's not known for being on SNL so I wouldn't have counted her. The post was mostly that only going with female castmember I'd pick Curtin over Fey any day. Both would loose to Murray though.

An interesting choices would have been Eddie Murphy although he had more than enough flops that I'm not sure he could come close to winning but then again his 80's and 90's output (excluding 48 hrs as it's pre-SNL) was pretty strong. Al Franken would probably be my number one pick though. Not much for acting, but writing and even his political career should put him up there.

For people not known for being on SNL but were, Billy Crystal, RDJ, Anthony Michael Hall, Christopher Guest, Laurie Metcalf (Rosanne and Desperate Housewives), Sarah Silverman, Ben Stiller, and Paul Shaffer (Late Show, toured with Springsteen, musical director for Olympics and Rock Hall Induction) would all be interesting choices as well.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Will Farrell? Why Will Farrell? He has put out almost exclusively garbage since SNL. Many better alums, mostly older cast, who have been in much better work post SNL.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
There's one scoring category that I'm glad did not come up. A: it's not a very good yardstick, and B: I think the winner in that category might not be either Bill or Will. That category is box office success. Measured by $ or adjusted for inflation $ or just asses in seats... I think the winner in that category, post SNL, (I'd have to do the research) but I'd bet it's Eddie Murphy. Which is why I'm glad that topic got left out. Because I rank Bill higher in terms of career than Eddie. I'm not a good person to ask about judging Farrell though, I just can't stand him and hate every movie he's in (except possibly the figure skating one) so I'm not really fit to judge him in a contest.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Tina Fey is always a winner in my book.

Also, I think I speak for many when I say that I can't wait for Anchorman 2.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Of the two i'd pick Bill Murray too. Will Ferrel does not seem to have that acting range. At least not right now.

The man needs to stop playing the idiot man child in his movies and get serious once in a blue moon.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Lightknight said:
It's kinda unfair to pit them together only because neither career is entirely over but one has been around for significantly longer than the other. Oddly enough, this was used as both a positive and negative for Bill Murray. He did own a decade but has also become significantly less relevant today whereas Will Ferrell is all over the place now but of course doesn't have the massive history of classics to his name that Murray has been able to build up by being around for decades more. They're simply two different generations and the question is whether or not this seasons is Will's peak in the same way Murray's decade was back then or does Will have a lot more up his sleeve to come.

Good topic, it's at least making me think about it.
Yes, this is all what I was thinking. I would have liked if this topic could have been separated into Old SNL leavers and their careers vs. the more New SNL batches and those people who left and their careers compared to each other. It is unfair to put an Old SNL person against a newer batch SNL person simply because they haven't had the same amount of time to amass a list of accolades in their "after" career.

Sep 24, 2008
Lightknight said:
el_kabong said:
Chris Rock has a successful career but was nowhere as insanely popular as Bill or Will. They pitted two explosive careers together and that's really the way to do it. Adam Sandler also had an explosive career for awhile then but it burnt out too quickly whereas Chris has a solid career without the huge explosive successes.
I don't want to bring race into this, but being of a non-white ethnic background, I was the 'odd one' for loving Bill Murray (Geek life before anything else, yo)

The movies of his you did not see or probably didn't even know about won out huge for other audiences. So saying that Chris Rock isn't insanely popular... well, depends on your perception.

Bill Murray today (though really funny in movies and supposedly not that good of a person in real life) is more or less relevant because of the meme of Bill Murray being awesome. Much like why people in this decade knowing who Chuck Norris is because of a internet meme. If you didn't have the meme, I'm near sure no one would have ever remembered him unless you're a fan of martial arts films. Especially if you were born at any time after the 80's.

I put money down if someone could find a good internet meme for Chris Rock right now, the next time he'd make a movie it would do ten times as better. Hell, Snakes on a Plane despite being horrible beat out Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby on it's opening weekend. Doing 20 Million in sales even though it was a horrible concept.

... seriously, if one unleashes snakes on a plane to kill one guy, one should realize most of the people will be killed, if not all. And if all the people are killed, then the plane crashes because no pilot... So why not just set the plane to crash? One would think it would cost a lot less, be a lot less dangerous to herd up, and planes crash all the time. I think someone who notices a bunch of dead planes in the ocean would think that's odd and will do a follow up...

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
A movie staring Will Farell that has romance, slapstick comedy, subtle comedy, and overwhelming sense of dread? That's Stranger than Fiction right there. Maybe Will Farell has been doing a lot of man-child things, but that one movie proved to me that he has quite a range in there that remains untapped. It's like Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's just so completely the opposite of his usual persona that it just blows you away how he could pull that off. Bill Murray may be good, but I get bored watching him now. "Morose" is spot on.

But Tiny Fey wins. Always. Love her.