No Right Answer: Best Post SNL Career Ever

Bulit523

Aug 10, 2010
Lightknight said:
It's kinda unfair to pit them together only because neither career is entirely over but one has been around for significantly longer than the other. Oddly enough, this was used as both a positive and negative for Bill Murray. He did own a decade but has also become significantly less relevant today whereas Will Ferrell is all over the place now but of course doesn't have the massive history of classics to his name that Murray has been able to build up by being around for decades more. They're simply two different generations and the question is whether or not this seasons is Will's peak in the same way Murray's decade was back then or does Will have a lot more up his sleeve to come.

Good topic, it's at least making me think about it.

This /\

I am not a Will Ferrell fan, but I have liked a couple of his movies. I am a Bill Murray fan, but I haven't liked some of his movies.

To be fair, this discussion needs to be redone, when they are both dead, that way there is no way that either of them will do any more movies. Then, a good comparison can be made.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I don't know... I think Mike Meyers has some merit outside of SNL gags, in spite of Wayne's World being rather awesome. Dana Carvey, on the other hand... he's funny but never really broke away from SNL.

A few other honoroable mentions:
Tracy Morgan, another one-note actor who could be called "the black Will Ferrel";
Adam Sandler, Will Ferrel before there was a Will Ferrel (also if he were on crack)
Lily Tomlin, she gives Bill Murray a serious run in the range and breadth of work departments;
Tim Meadows, an excellent straight-man and decent comedian who never really found a solid vehicle in spite of himself;
Gilda Radner, one of the all-time greatest female comedians pre- and post-SNL;
Tina Fey, ironically disqualified by the "no rehashing SNL bits" rule, due to her current gig;
Keenan Thompson, really more for his impressive pre-SNL career;
Al Franken, US Senator and important member of the budget committee...

seule

Jul 21, 2008
NSFW, Woody Harrelson says it better than I ever could:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KugiqORzaPs

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Next you should do who had the best post Daily Show career.
Steve Carell is good and all, and i liked 40-year-old virgin to a point but....

There's only really going to be one winner in that debate

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Am I the only one here that can't stand the sight of Tina Fey? Judging by the comments, it would seem so.

I agree that Bill's gone further than Will in his post-SNL career, but you also have to keep in mind that Bill's been around a lot longer than Will, thus he's had more time to go further. Bill was an absolute legend with the movies he did in the 80's, while Will has just started to come into his prime. Honestly, I was never a huge fan of Will, but I don't think I stopped laughing for a moment when I saw Anchor Man in theatres...I still rate it as one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Taledaga Nights was great as well. He keeps doing these character-piece movies and keeps knocking them out of the park. Give him time and his "legend" (if you want to call it that) will be as big as Bill's.

John P. Hackworth

Sep 21, 2010
Both sides were well argued in this video. I think a key point that didn't come up is that Bill Murray has been around longer and is further in his career. Therefore he has had more opportunities to make good movies. Not to say that Will hasn't had enough. Just that the total volume of time Murray has had gives him an advantage. Ferrell could be Murray's equal some day, when he is equally as old.

Also, Maggie Gyllenhall is moderately attractive, and Tina Fey is the best. That is all.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
See, this is why I like Megamind. Tina Fey and Will Farrel had such good, weird chemistry.

I love Bill Murray... but at the same time, I'm remember Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties...

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I'd pick Will Farrell myself, but considering that Lost in Translation is perhaps my favorite movie of all time, I can't feel bad that Bill Murray wins.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Bill Murray is #1 all time in terms of that show and career. Wes Anderson films, Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day as well as the lesser acclaimed, but classic comedies (Caddyshack, Ghostbusters,etc.). Ferrell's humor died with his SNL career. Bewitched? Land of the Lost? Please.

Ferrell is probably an all-time Top 10 SNL member, but he's definitely nowhere near Murray even if it is only because his agent sucks.

Other names that come to mind: Akroyd, Louis-Dreyfus, Sandler, Rock, Meyers, Steve Martin, Farley. Eddie Murphy and Dana Carvey should be in the discussion, but they've been in such slumps over the two decades that they barely warrant even mentioning.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Tina Fey didn't win? What the what?!?!?!?

She can play opposite Alec Baldwin and not be overshadowed at every turn.
Now that's more impressive than anything Will Ferrell or Bill Maurray ever did.