No Right Answer: Best Silent Protagonist Ever

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Yeeeeh NO ! When Freeman puts the shit in the tyest chamber it ALL WENT TO SHIT VERY FAST not matter what he said would have changed anything. And some random asshole in the sand who knows more about the world that Freeman has been away from in a freeza some place he been kinda outta the loop, so sand guy should have known better again. Even if Freeman could speak.....would have made little diff, a retard is a retard.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bah, Crono vs Chell would have been a better match-up of silent protagonists if you ask me. :p

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
RJ Dalton said:
search_rip said:
screw Gordon Freeman :p just taking the amount of Half Life games vs Zelda games, Link is clearly the best silent protagonist ever ;)
Quantity over quality, man. Quantity over quality.
idk... you can go back and play A link to the past and still have a blast. You go back and play Half Life 1, and it seems like it didn't age nearly as well.

OT: Crono is the only correct answer. A silent protagonist that still managed to pull off personality.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
I would have gone with Gordon because his silent protagonist allows things like Freeman's Mind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J80KD4BG7M&list=ELkznu7Gec_hU) to exist whereas a mind serie would feel weird with Link.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Half-Life: THe Movie
Directed by Dan Epstein
Christmas 2014

Also, what's with Dan and killing hookers?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Aeonknight said:
idk... you can go back and play A link to the past and still have a blast. You go back and play Half Life 1, and it seems like it didn't age nearly as well.

OT: Crono is the only correct answer. A silent protagonist that still managed to pull off personality.
Yeah, A Link To the Past was awesome. But not all of the Zelda games have been nearly that good. Or even just good.
But I still enjoy playing the original Half-Life from time to time, just as I still enjoy playing Link to the Past. I was mostly just poking at the obvious hole in the other guy's argument, though. I actually like Link a lot more as a character. I don't like Half-Life because of Gordon Freeman. I like Half-Life because of everything else in it.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
So Kyle won because of the argument that if Gordon could talk then he could solve more problems? Um....okay, but this isn't a contest about if they could speak, they are silent protagonist and no amount of what ifs could change that. Not to mention you could just say the exact same thing with Link.
Well whatever Jack (bioshock) is the best silent protagonist anyways.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
RTR said:
Directed by Dan Epstein
Christmas 2014

I think Half Life would be a summer blockbuster. Lol.

Funny story, me and hookers. Gather around and I'll spin the tail. In college I was the director of photography on a documentary about the Oregon prison work programs. Incidentally it ended up winning an Emmy, so yay for that.

So every week I would finish a class, drive an hour to one of the surrounding prisons, film for the documentary, and then drive back to get to my next class. And when my then girlfriend or anyone for that matter asked where I was, I would say I was in prison that day, or going to jail, or any other permutation of that point. And when my girlfriends jokingly asked why do I keep breaking the law and going to jail every week, I replied "I just can't stop killing hookers!" The joke spread from there.

So there you go, an Emmy award winning hooker killer. Dat's me!

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Firefilm said:
RTR said:
Directed by Dan Epstein
Christmas 2014

I think Half Life would be a summer blockbuster. Lol.

Funny story, me and hookers. Gather around and I'll spin the tail. In college I was the director of photography on a documentary about the Oregon prison work programs. Incidentally it ended up winning an Emmy, so yay for that.

So every week I would finish a class, drive an hour to one of the surrounding prisons, film for the documentary, and then drive back to get to my next class. And when my then girlfriend or anyone for that matter asked where I was, I would say I was in prison that day, or going to jail, or any other permutation of that point. And when my girlfriends jokingly asked why do I keep breaking the law and going to jail every week, I replied "I just can't stop killing hookers!" The joke spread from there.

So there you go, an Emmy award winning hooker killer. Dat's me!
That's the coolest story I've heard in a while

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
1337mokro said:
I think Link is disqualified because of the Sega CD games, you know. Where he TALKED!
Wrong console dude. you are thinking of the CDi games, also they don't count just like the CDi itself

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Link all the way. His world and story are basically the perfect stage for a Silent Protagonist, while Gordon.. well, that's like watching a movie through a camera that's supposed to be a face. All the more jarring that it takes place in the real world. They could remove Gordon the character and half life would be exactly the same. That may be great for immersion, but this was a question of best silent protagonist. I forget Gordon is even there, so he barely even registers as a protagonist... The crowbar has more personality.

madwarper said:
If we can still call Link a silent protagonist after Zelda 2
It's been a while, but I don't recall Link talking in Zelda 2?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
erttheking said:
I'm going to have to go with Alcatraz from Crysis 2. It's heavily implied that the reason he doesn't speak is that he CAN'T
Considering he's a sack of giblets only held together by an extremely advanced suit of armor, I'm amazed he was actually capable of moving like he did.

I want one of those nanosuits.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Father Time said:
I think having the protagonist talk during gameplay isn't always bad. It worked with Uncharted 2.
And then there's the Legacy of Kain series... Those games would have been farr poorer without the excellent voice work of Simon Templeman and Michael Bell.

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
I thought they weren't allowed to talk about games, since one of them (Chris?) was employed by Nintendo. Or did I get that totally wrong?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
xPixelatedx said:
madwarper said:
If we can still call Link a silent protagonist after Zelda 2
It's been a while, but I don't recall Link talking in Zelda 2?
Did you see my entire post?

madwarper said:
[spoiler=I FOUND A MIRROR UNDER THE TABLE.]

[/spoiler]
That's Zelda 2. That's Link. And, that's what he said.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
RJ Dalton said:
search_rip said:
screw Gordon Freeman :p just taking the amount of Half Life games vs Zelda games, Link is clearly the best silent protagonist ever ;)
Quantity over quality, man. Quantity over quality.
Yes, because the Zelda games are not regarded as one of the best videogames saga's ever...
Yes, it is. Often by people who ardently refuse to admit that it has its fair share of stinkers (this is even refusing to acknowledge the CD-I games, which weren't developed by Nintendo). Such as Majora's Mask, a game that was clearly a lazy, quick cash-in, which had a number of good moments, but overall added up to a whole far less than the sum of its parts. Or Skyward Sword, which had a helper friend more irritating than Navi and a world that felt small and anemic while still being crushingly, boringly huge. If I were into making low blows (and I always am), I could even list Zelda 2 for the NES, with its sad attempts to distract us from its boring plot with dodgy and frustrating gameplay. Even speaking as one who enjoyed Twilight Princess, that game had some moments of head-scratching stupidity in its design choices.

But that's missing the point overall. The argument that the franchise has more games in it automatically makes it better than its competition is flawed logic. It's like saying Batman was a better franchise than Star Wars because Batman has seven movies and Star Wars has three. Furthermore, this is not really a debate about the quality of the franchise. It's a debate about the quality of the silent protagonists in them.

And while we're on the subject of flawed logic, that's all the entire debate ran on. It seems to be all the No Right Answer videos run on. Through the whole video, nobody made a single point that actually worked as an argument. Just random statements of opinion for which they were arbitrarily awarded points. There's room for an interesting discussion about which approach to the silent protagonist was better, but that's not really touched. Instead, it's just two morons shouting non-sequetuers at each other and then being randomly patted on the back by an invisible hand.