No Right Answer: Best Star Trek Captain Ever

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Janeway - She's the most interesting character and comes across as the most human.

Despite that, I still visualize Picard or Kirk when Star Trek comes up.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
TimeLord said:
Soooo much agreed. If you pull the "weight on shoulders" argument, it gotta be Archer.
I mean, ENT was awful for the whole time war stuff and it being a shameless prequel ... But that in no way affects Archer's captain role.

Captain alone, my list is definitely
1. Picard
2. Archer
3. Sisko
4. Janeway
5. Kirk

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
Azuaron said:
James T. Kirk was a terrible captain. Terrible. Don't get me wrong, he was fun to watch, but as far as being a good captain, I'm sorry, but Kirk needed to be busted down to ensign.
Lets not forget Kirk also Cheated to become a captain. He also nearly got his CO killed on his first outing. Also most of the time his reaction was to either screw or slap whatever he came in contact with. Kirk was terrible. Absolutely terrible as a captain. He should have been put on a garbage scow. *Grumble*

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
TimeLord said:
Dan said:
[Kirk] built the Federation
I believe you are incorrect, Archer created the first alliances and treaties that eventually became the Federation.

Which brings me to my point, Archer is the best captain. Picard had the weight of Q's judgement on his shoulders? Well Archer had the entire future of the human race on his shoulders. He was alone, utterly alone fighting the Xindi. The NX-01 was the only ship that was capable of saving Earth from total destruction and he had to survive any way he could. Which brings me to my next point; Picard (and I assume Kirk, haven't seen much Original series) at the end of nearly every episode, would set course for the nearest Starbase to rest and repair. Archer didn't have that, he had to repair his ship with anything he could get his hands on in the middle of nowhere, he couldn't just run back to Earth or a Starbase every time he encountered the Xindi, he had to survive utterly on his own and he succeeded. Rather than just defend Earth when the Xindi attacked, Archer took the war to the Xindi homeland, the Delphic Expanse, which was full of spatial anomalies making navigation difficult. Plus, Archer became entangled in a temporal cold war with beings from a thousand years into the future. Which just sounds cool. Picard and Kirk had it cushy compared to Archer.

Also the NX-01 was an explorer ship, not a warship. Picard and Kirk's Enterprises where chock full of torpedoes and phasers and could blow away anything that they came across. The NX-01 didn't even get Photon torpedoes until season 3 (?). Their ships also had shields, all the NX-01 had for protection was to polarise it's hull plating. And he still managed to take on an entire race of beings that wanted his total destruction and succeed.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Archer was probably the best captain. He had massive stakes to contend with, and no support except that which he basically had to bleed for. Janeway would be my second vote. She saved earth from the Borg numerous times and developed a weapon in the future which made them somewhat useless.

Granted... she's an admiral now which makes the whole thing moot... but still!

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.
He did NOT start the war. THEY DID, not us, not us. [/cheesy melodrama]

OT: I am glad to see so many here here agree that Captain Sisko was a great Captain. but not the best.

MY LIST:

1. Captain Picard : Obvious I know, Diplomat, Scientist, Skilled tactical commander. A good leader is approachable and friendly, but not your friend.

2. Captain Sisko : He helped Bajor(sp?) recover after a devastating 70 years of oppression. He may not have wanted to, but he became a very good spiritual leader. He lead his people into battle, he stood on the front lines at times, firing at the enemy.

3a. Captain Johnathan Archer : He was the first Captain of an Earth Warp 5 Starship. Through his skills in Diplomacy he helped to found the Federation. Also, he knocked the logic INTO the Vulcan's. His daring during the Xindi incident saved Earth.

3b. Captain Janeway : The only reason she is this low on the list is because there are just too many great captains in Starfleet history. Her guidance and leadership brought two crews together, in then got her people home in only 7 years.

5. Captain Kirk : Honestly, while I like him, he did suck at being captain. He never delegated away missions, he slept with every one who crossed his path, though he never slept with anyone on his crew that is in his favor. Kirk was creative, and a good leader, but I would never want him to be promoted above Commander, and that is a stretch.

1,,,2,,3a3b,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5

That is how I rank them in a race. Picard out in fount, with Sisko slightly behind. Archer and Janeway are tied and only slightly behind Sisko. And Kirk was being lapped by Picard.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Excuse me, but no Archer? No Sisko? No Pike? No Janeway? No Mackenzie Calhoun?

You need to see more Star Trek.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
Picard all the way. he was just so commanding and capable but without any effort. more cerebral while kirk was more brute.

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
JPArbiter said:
Janeway!

Kirk would punch a threat, Picard would negotiate a threat. Janeway would NUKE A THREAT!
Kirk would often sleep with the threat.
Thereby becoming the threat.
Space syphilis.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
i feel the right choice was definitely made. i saw the score 3 to 4 at the end and knew he just had to survive the drink test and that would be the end, tensist moment iv felt in a long time i practically shouted "DRINK! DRINK YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTERD!!! at the computer screen

picard is deeply moral, highly logical and intelligent, Picard is also a master of diplomacy and debate who resolves seemingly intractable issues between multiple parties with a Solomon-like wisdom. Though such resolutions are usually peaceful, Picard is also shown using his remarkable tactical cunning in situations when it is required put is not afaried to get his own hands dirty when he needs to (see first contact for case in point). Picard has a fondness for detective stories, Shakespearean drama, and archeology. He is frequently shown drinking Earl Grey tea simply put hes the thinking mans captain which is exactly the kind of man you want Manning a diplomatic warship.

also lets not forget that he SURVIED BEING ASIMALTED BY THE BORG!!! and party thru sheer force of will regained his humanity a feat unheard of til 7 of 9.

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I think what should really be considered is the political implications of each captain. Kirk would outright tell people that he thought they were stupid and backwards, but Picard was able to hold back his opinions in favor of diplomacy. It's not as fun to watch, but I'd feel a lot safer knowing Picard was the one negotiating with the Klingons.
Perhaps you've never heard the old Vulcan proverb, "Only Nixon could go to China."

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Okay, so I'm not the only one who likes Captain Sisko. I really think the debate is between him and Picard, especially since Sisko doesn't like Picard. They both are from the best time of Star Trek, the 1990's.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
James T. Kirk is not a man I'd follow into the reaches of space. All those dead redshirts vital to the operations of the Enterprise, sending the highest-ranking officers on the ship on away missions instead of soldiers, it's like Kirk was trying to make sure he got the shot to pilot the ship by himself just to prove he could. Picard, though, he's an actual leader. He can be diplomatic, he can be badass, he can be a hardass when nessecary, he can be your best friend, it's like they distilled all the best leadership traits into him.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ima just leave this here

[a]http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=299[/a]

DTWolfwood said:
Different strokes for different folks

Kirk - Action Captain
Picard - Sensible Captain
Sisko - Badass Captain
Janway - Crazy Captain
Archer - "We hardly knew ye" Captain

Being the sensible man, I prefer Picard over the rest of them. Also, Patrick Stewart is just too awesome.
I love Sisko but ya Picard is tops!

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
I kinda miss the old days of NRA, when this would have been a debate about Capt. Harriman vs. Capt. Garrett.