No Right Answer: Best Sunday Comic

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
I'm actually related to Bill Watterson so anything I might write on this topic is bound to be incredibly bias!

I would wholeheartedly recommend the C&H book Scientific Progress Goes "Boink" :)

If we are going to discuss strips we love then I confess to loving Dilbert but Boondocks rocks my world!

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Put in another vote for C&H and the Far Side. I loved them when I was a kid and I still do (in fact, the first thing I was actually able to read on my own as a kid was a C&H book).

I never liked Peanuts all that much myself, but the characters are undeniably iconic. I'm not sure it was really all that suited for a comic strip format; comics are structured around intermittent punchlines, wheras the impact of Peanuts seems to seep out from the big picture the mass of strips slowly assembles. To me, at least.

Dilbert seems pretty good, if predicable. Get Fuzzy, Foxtrot, Bizarro and Pearls I either admire or have a soft spot for. I also read a Bloom county book as a kid and devoured it, despite large sections of the humor going straight over my head. Maybe I should try rereading it.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
A discussion of Calvin and Hobbes with out Calvinball? Argument invalid, C&H is by far superior. The Far Side is as good in humor but C&H is introspective alongside its antics.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
Oh good, I was glad to see that some americans thought the same way about American Wilfred that I do.
They completely dropped any parts of the concept that made the Australian Wilfred fantastic.
They tried to give wilfred a reason for doing what he does, WILFRED IS A DOG.

That's what I logged in to say, the video was alright too I guess.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Calvin and Hobbes, I say, trumps the Peanuts. Why? Well...

1. Calvinball. Everyone loves this. I still say it needs to be an Olympic sport.
2. It didn't sell out. Peanuts got commercial, which I think contributed to it getting as big as it did. Watterson said C&H was good enough to stand on his own and damn if he isn't right.
3. Heart. For as smart a strip as Calvin and Hobbes is, it had just as much heart. Peanuts had heart, yes, but it never did much outside of that.
4. The impersonator. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any impersonators of the Peanuts gang running around. Calvin and Hobbes, though, has a very good impersonator in the Sunday comics; specifically, Red and Rover.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
I could never get into Peanuts. The characters were all too depressing for my pre-pubescent brain. Ended up just being vaguely annoyed with the shows and avoided the comics.

Loved Calvin & Hobbes and wished Watterson would try doing more or making a new project.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Calving and Hobbs without a doubt. Peanuts is fine and may be more well known, but Calvin and Hobbs (like so many have said already) has way more depth. Enough that it's still quite enjoyable for me to pull out my big book of those comic strips and enjoy them as an adult. They are also more funny than peanuts and often have better art.

Side note:
Hobbs is not imaginary. Calvin simply sees him one way (as a real tiger) and everyone else sees him the other (as a stuffed tiger). Hobbs is completely real to Calvin and is not simply a figment of his imagination. Bill Watterson said this himself.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I love how Calvin and Hobbes really connects me to my childhood. I remember reading it when I was pretty young, so I couldn't understand much of what Calvin and his big words were talking about, yet the situations he would get into, and his carefree Summer days are similar to my own childhood. I read it now with full understanding of the philosophical intrigue, yet Calvin's childish antics still speak to me.

Peanuts is a very similar comic to me, however not as intellectual, which is perfectly fine. The subjects were great, dialogue reads like a kid would speak(yet they had bouts of intelligence), characters were memorable, and the humor was great. It captures so much about life that's kinda hard to explain, plus Charlie Brown is the definition of a sympathetic character.

Garfield is just Garfield, and I would not have the comic any other way.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Just to be clear, Dan has been a fan of C&h since the beginning and owns every strip. So, he feels ya!

mbarker

Nov 12, 2008
This was a good one. I thought the Peanuts would win even though Calvin and Hobbes are my favorite.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
One of Many said:
I'll give Peanuts credit, it's holiday specials hold a place in my heart but no other comic, not in newspaper or a webcomic, has made me cry, other then the last Calvin and Hobbes strip, which was published on December the 31st 1995.

I cut that strip out of my local paper and I still have it as one of my favorite pieces of art. I also own several compilations of Calvin and Hobbes, and I find it interesting that Watterson himself liked the Peanuts strip. As for Garfield, I think this one says it all:

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Firefilm said:
Just to be clear, Dan has been a fan of C&h since the beginning and owns every strip. So, he feels ya!
And Chris is a longtime fan of Garfield and The Far Side. But there can be only two in a debate and so he picked the side he thought everyone would choose! No disgrace to any comics left out!

Except for Dilbert. Dilbert knows why.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Call cynisim by it's real name, realism.

I think Chris won, Peanuts are just not funny, sometimes they are but I find them funny in a depressing way. Calvin & Hobbes makes you think.