No Right Answer: Best Time Machine Ever Part II

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Time Machine Ever Part II

We announce the winner of the Ur Right Answer fan contest! Also, the best time machine debate gets out of hand with more surprise entries and a controversial winner.

Watch Video

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011

I WIN!

Didn't see Hot Tub Time Machine coming though. But you still have a time machine that's not only stationary but also needs you to change the water.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Since I'm not big on either drinking or partying, I'm still going to go with the TARDIS.

EDIT: esp. since you could have a hot tub in the TARDIS.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Oh god...Yahtzee's going to charge that set with an army of imps and the LRR guys to get that hat back AND for stealing Feed Dump's schtick!

No mention of the Wayback Machine though? I am disappoi...well, maybe not. The entire discussion nearly descended into a clusterfuck with the suggestions coming in left and right.

Still...I bet you Jules Verne is going to be pissed that HIS time machine got shafted.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
DVS BSTrD said:
STILL no love for Goldmember? Awwwwww
And since I never saw Hot Tub Time Machine could someone clear something up for me:
That sound Craig Robinson makes when he finds out MJ is still black, was that a happy sound?
I was going to say that with the Terminator films but yet again that time travel consist of being emerge out of a electric sphere and you're naked.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
A few points to be made to defend my favourite time machine;

The TARDIS is made with science like the DeLorean, it's just made with science from alien species. It is bigger on the inside, as explained by the 4th Doctor;

The TARDIS isn't inaccurate. It's just the Doctor doesn't like it when it's boring and predictable. River Song has shown that the TARDIS can be flown perfectly.

You know... until she blew it up. But that wasn't technically her fault.
Also, in regards to the unreliable point, a quote from the episode 'The Doctor's Wife';

The Doctor: You know, since we're talking with mouths?not really an opportunity that comes along very often?I just want to say, you know you have never been very reliable.
Idris/TARDIS: And you have?
The Doctor: You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
Idris/TARDIS: No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
Also, you can drink and drive the TARDIS, it's just you end up with this;

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Boo, heathens. If I want to travel in time, I want an Olympic swimming pool, a wardrobe that includes a cricket outfit and a leek, a chameleon circuit that only works if your filming budget doesn't stretch beyond London and recently spend an awful lot of time in (the awesome Wales), that resists Dalek fire, has gooey stuff in the middle that lets you rewrite the whole of causality, is a fit crazy lady, is stolen, can fly, spins whilst flying, lets you just hang out in space for no-reason because you can open the door and everythings fine. That translates foreign languages into English and English into Welsh/Gaelic. That has crazy levers to impress the friends, but can actually basically work by just banging random stuff, can land in itself, become a scary deathtrap for a chase sequence. A time machine that's technically infinitey big on the inside and can also travel finitely small around an infinite amount of space and time

... and has David Tennant in it

And you guys settled for a hot tub?

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Most of the good points about the TARDIS were already made by TimeLord, but he forgot one. The TARDIS did do the whole time-machine within a time-machine thing on at least one occasion.

Also, the TARDIS makes the most wonderful sound ever. You can't argue that.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'd say the best time machine is the one with the built in Paradox Nullifier from Martian Successor Nadesico. Of course, they have some interesting theories about how the individuals are capable of moving from point A to point B in less than zero time, but the nullifier has a nice little tenancy to ensure that nothing can actually be changed that much. Retroactive storyline is also quite amusing.

Getting informed of an event that already happened in time, but hasn't yet happened in the plot sounds really confusing, but if you ever get a chance to watch it, it makes sense.

Apr 28, 2008
Qitz said:

I WIN!

Didn't see Hot Tub Time Machine coming though. But you still have a time machine that's not only stationary but also needs you to change the water.
It does make a great place to dry your clothes.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
TimeLord said:
A few points to be made to defend my favourite time machine;

The TARDIS is made with science like the DeLorean, it's just made with science from alien species. It is bigger on the inside, as explained by the 4th Doctor;

The TARDIS isn't inaccurate. It's just the Doctor doesn't like it when it's boring and predictable. River Song has shown that the TARDIS can be flown perfectly.

You know... until she blew it up. But that wasn't technically her fault.
Also, in regards to the unreliable point, a quote from the episode 'The Doctor's Wife';

The Doctor: You know, since we're talking with mouths?not really an opportunity that comes along very often?I just want to say, you know you have never been very reliable.
Idris/TARDIS: And you have?
The Doctor: You didn't always take me where I wanted to go.
Idris/TARDIS: No, but I always took you where you needed to go.
Also, you can drink and drive the TARDIS, it's just you end up with this;

All of this...
Also, yay! my "TARDIS is a woman" point was used!
Also, have you seen the female fans? pretty sure that if you asked them "Wanna go in the actual TARDIS?" They will also beg to come aboard :D

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
After watching both part 1 & 2 I am convinced part of my brain may or may not be capable of time travel.... Like in part 1 how the debate didn't involve my favorite, The Delorean & ended with it being brought up. Then at the beginning of part 2 I knew none of part 1 mattered because Hot Tub Time Machine would win.

My brain however.... One of the worst time travelers ever.... IF plausible.... Just for solving really trivial stuff....

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Since I'm not big on either drinking or partying, I'm still going to go with the TARDIS.

EDIT: esp. since you could have a hot tub in the TARDIS.
Just heat up the already existing swimming pool.

Also, the point of " you can't visit alternate timelines in yours" That was false, they visited an alternate timeline during David Tennants first season as The Doctor, which is how they brought back the Cybermen.

and the TARDIS has been around for many a millennium, and thus has seen many more women than a hottub...

And when you make whoopie in the TARDIS, this happens:

Thus, TARDIS wins

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Honestly? Now that you've put all the cards on the table I gotta go with the Hot Tub. Not only is it the most luxurious option but temporal paradoxes can all apparently suck it and you can, with no oversight, use your knowledge of the future to get stupid rich. Also you quantum leap into your younger self so even if you're 70 on the inside you're 19 on the outside.