No Right Answer: Best TV Doctor

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Firefilm said:
Wow, we totally didn't realize how everyone would assume we were talking about Dr. Who instead of medical doctors. Sound off if you want us to do an episode on THE doctor, and which two choices we should debate with!
Well, the most obvious answer is a match between the 2 fan favorites: Tom Bakker and David Tennant. I'm not exactly an avid follower of the show, but I'd be fascinated to hear your opinions on this :)

(my vote is for Tennant.)

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
As with everyone else who has commented so far I immediately assumed The Doctor would at least be mentioned.
I was severely disappointed until they mentioned my next favorite character: Dr. Cox!

Seriously, he is the only reason I watch Scrubs and one of my favorite characters on TV. I call the argument invalid by viewer fiat. Dr. Cox is the best.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Dr_Horrible said:
Firefilm said:
Wow, we totally didn't realize how everyone would assume we were talking about Dr. Who instead of medical doctors. Sound off if you want us to do an episode on THE doctor, and which two choices we should debate with!
Well, the most obvious answer is a match between the 2 fan favorites: Tom Bakker and David Tennant. I'm not exactly an avid follower of the show, but I'd be fascinated to hear your opinions on this :)

(my vote is for Tennant.)
That would be a refreshing break from the incessant Tennant vs Smith. Blugh, what a stupid argument; that shouldn't even be a contest. Tennant.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Obviously, it's The Doctor.

Sometimes I wish that they'd kept it going after Sylvester McCoy's run...with talented, dedicated writers, of course.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
Steve Butts said:
Give me Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, any day.

Yow!
Says the guy with DR. STRANGE as his avatar.

Compared to all the posters here, I feel alone in realizing that it was going to be Dr. House before the video even started. And I really like Doctor Who, but that didn't come to mind until I saw this thread.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'm so tired of doctor who fans ruining any discussion ever about any sort of doctor. I for one don't get why doctor who is so popular. I find it boring and way over hyped.

Seriously no one cares about Doctor who, he's not even a doctor.

Feb 13, 2008
Zaverexus said:
That would be a refreshing break from the incessant Tennant vs Smith. Blugh, what a stupid argument; that shouldn't even be a contest. Tennant.
Oh please...His tenth incarnation was a pretty emo boy with two emotions, at least eleventh has some guts, and some damn good lines.

synobal said:
I'm so tired of doctor who fans ruining any discussion ever about any sort of doctor.
As was said before, if you're asking "Who is the best Doctor?" then "Who IS the best Doctor."

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Firefilm said:
Tom Baker vs David Tennant

The ultimate duel!
Of course, David Tennant has to win in the end, but it would still be a close fight.
Or you could make it seem like a close fight at least ;)

Feb 13, 2008
TimeLord said:

The ultimate duel!
Which Tom would walk, mainly due to Leela stabbing pretty boy with the Janis Thorn.

Nah, go for a really tough one, like Ecclestone versus Colin Baker, Or Troughton versus Pertwee.

Or the Master Battle, Simms vs Degaldo vs Ainley vs Jacobi.

Personally I'd do the one all the Doctor Who Fans want to know, Daleks vs Cybermen.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
TimeLord said:

The ultimate duel!
Which Tom would walk, mainly due to Leela stabbing pretty boy with the Janis Thorn.

Nah, go for a really tough one, like Ecclestone versus Colin Baker, Or Troughton versus Pertwee.

Or the Master Battle, Simms vs Degaldo vs Ainley vs Jacobi.

Personally I'd do the one all the Doctor Who Fans want to know, Daleks vs Cybermen.
In order of your duels;

Eccleston
Pertwee
Simm
Cybermen

Feb 3, 2009
Firefilm said:
Tom Baker and David Tennant, that would get people REALLY split down the middle.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
SomeLameStuff said:
You're BOTH wrong! The best doctor is of course, this guy.

Who is the best TV doctor?
Yes, it's true.
Though I'm still only at the first one.

gunmun

Sep 11, 2010
Everyone know who the REAL best Doctor is...and he flies around in a phone booth

Feb 13, 2008
TimeLord said:
In order of your duels;
Eccleston (Despite Baker being the only one that could fix the Chameleon Circuit?)
Pertwee (Despite Troughton actually being able to travel in Space/Time?)
Simm ( Personally I'd rate Jacobi over Simms for that one line...and I thought Sam Tyler was awesome. Ainley hammed it well, but Delgado played it with real flair. Really tough one this)
Cybermen (YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT. YOU ARE SUPERIOR AT DYING)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
TimeLord said:
In order of your duels;
Eccleston (Despite Baker being the only one that could fix the Chameleon Circuit?)
Pertwee (Despite Troughton actually being able to travel in Space/Time?)
Simm ( Personally I'd rate Jacobi over Simms for that one line...and I thought Sam Tyler was awesome. Ainley hammed it well, but Delgado played it with real flair. Really tough one this)
Cybermen (YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT. YOU ARE SUPERIOR AT DYING)
Fixing the Chameleon circuit has never been a problem, I seem to recall that Eccleston said himself that he could fix it but wouldn't (Boom Town if I recall correctly)
Pertwee may not have been the best pilot in the world but oh well.
Simm displayed a real insane evil for the Master beyond being a cartoon villain (I mean come on, a weapon that makes your enemies smaller and kills them... compared to a weapon that is the very opposite of the Doctors screwdriver, that is also a laser)
And,

Cyberman: We have been upgraded.
The Doctor: Into what?
Cyberman: The next stage of mankind. We are human point two.

TimeLord said:

The ultimate duel!
Also, that's exactly why Tennant wins. Tennant would never let his comanion kill anyone un-necessarily and try to save everyone. That is, and should be, the very core of who the Doctor should be. Killing everyone is easy. Saving everyone is hard.

Feb 13, 2008
TimeLord said:
a weapon that makes your enemies smaller and kills them... compared to a weapon that is the very opposite of the Doctors screwdriver, that is also a laser)
The Tissue Compression Eliminator versus a rip-off that doesn't even make sense?

TCE turns people into dolls by crushing them. The Laser Screwdriver reads DNA and then accelerates the time around it? C'mon...that's beyond stupid.

Also, that's exactly why Tennant wins. Tennant would never let his comanion kill anyone un-necessarily and try to save everyone.

That is, and should be, the very core of who the Doctor should be. Killing everyone is easy. Saving everyone is hard.
*ahem* Family of Death, the Slitheen, Madame Pompadour, Dave, The Other Dave, Miss Evangelista... not very good at saving people, is he? The 4th Doctor let the DALEKS live because he didn't think he had the right. He rescued the Daleks because he didn't want to kill them.

Tennnant murdered his way through species because they got in his way. That's why the word for Doctor is the same as Warrior now.

And he had a cool scarf. Scarves are cool.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
TimeLord said:
a weapon that makes your enemies smaller and kills them... compared to a weapon that is the very opposite of the Doctors screwdriver, that is also a laser)
The Tissue Compression Eliminator versus a rip-off that doesn't even make sense?

TCE turns people into dolls by crushing them. The Laser Screwdriver reads DNA and then accelerates the time around it? C'mon...that's beyond stupid.
Yes but at least it had context. It was created from the Lazerus tech that the Master funded as Saxon. And it's not like ageing things was it's primary function, unlike the doll maker.
Also, that's exactly why Tennant wins. Tennant would never let his comanion kill anyone un-necessarily and try to save everyone.

That is, and should be, the very core of who the Doctor should be. Killing everyone is easy. Saving everyone is hard.
*ahem* Family of Death, the Slitheen, Madame Pompadour, Dave, The Other Dave, Miss Evangelista... not very good at saving people, is he? The 4th Doctor let the DALEKS live because he didn't think he had the right. He rescued the Daleks because he didn't want to kill them.

Tennnant murdered his way through species because they got in his way. That's why the word for Doctor is the same as Warrior now.

And he had a cool scarf. Scarves are cool.
Do not mistake blind pacifism with acceptable retaliation. The Family of Blood were hunting him across time and space to kill him and use his energy for whatever they needed it for, probably the destruction of the galaxy. The Slitheen tried to destroy him and the Earth for money. Madame De Pompadour didn't even die for him, the Doctor didn't alter time by inter-fearing with her life and she didn't die because of him. Everyone in the library were killed by his enemy, not by him, he still tried to save everyone in the end. Whether he could or couldn't is irrelevant, he still tried.

I'm not saying everyone should live by his hand, but there is a line between blind pacifism and acceptable revenge. Especially when your life and the life of billions and/or the entire galaxy is at stake.

EDIT: Also, the 10th Doctor exiled his own duplicate to a parallel world for genocide of the Daleks.

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
I know he dosen't practise medicine, he could probaply not cure my illness, but he calls himself a doctor, so it fits within this debate...

I'd want The Doctor to take care of me, i don't care if i could easily have been cured by an ACTUAL doctor, i want The Doctor.