No Right Answer: Best TV Drama Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best TV Drama Ever

With Dan feeling the drama of his 30th birthday this Sunday (Feel free to send him legos), a dramatic debate was in order. How about best dramatic TV show?

Watch Video

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Breaking Bad instawin.

The fandom surrounding it, and it's influence after during and after it ran is testament that it is almost a cultural touchstone as far as things are concerned.

To me at least, it is an experience, not just a TV series.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The moment Breaking Bad ended, I thought, well damn, they sustained it to a perfect end. This show absolutely wins the whole way without any season being a throw away. Dexter was good but its little side plots often damaged the show for me. And the ending? *sigh*

stueymon

Aug 29, 2009
Breaking Bad is wrote objectively better, it's braver and clever. Dexter suffered from the series bad guy and it did retread the same plot points of "Dexter is a sociopath" to "Dexter is a better human being now"

From a more personal point, I didn't like any of the characters in Breaking Bad, they're pretty much all awful human beings and if they had all died it would have been fine to me. Dexter has more likable characters who, oddly enough, do more human things.

Clearly the winner is Game of Thrones.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Dexter WAS good for 4 seasons. Then 5 and 6 were meh, 7 was cool again, and 8 was an absolute travesty.

Breaking bad had no flaws. I really can't think of any at least.

Yeah. Breaking Bad.

EDIT: vvv Yeahhh, Shelock. And Musketeers is damn cool so far. Pretty much "Assassin's Creed: The TV Show".

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Between the two I would pick Dexter if only because (get ready to hate me) I do not like Breaking Bad.

That being said I have to ask why exactly does The West Wing not hold up? Maybe it is because I am English and know very little about American politics but I still enjoy rewatching it every now and then and I think it has aged fine.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Kyle, what do you mean "there's never a flawless show"?
Are you implying that "Scrubs" don't exist?

Also you're both wrong- "Scrubs" is the best drama show at this point
"But it's a comedy"
Oh, non-existent average escapee, you are saying this only because you're wrong
See, drama and tragedy can't have impact if it's only thing we have
If there is some fun and laughter AND then bad things happen, then it is a whole different thing
Then emotions are much...
Aaa, fuck it, just watch this
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6281-Crying-Through-The-Laughs
What Jim said wasn't true only for games

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Couldn't get through the pilot of Breaking Bad... watched all of Dexter, although it got hard to keep watching in the later seasons...

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Dexter is very clearly 8 separate seasons with 1 thread connecting each season to the last

The first 4 seasons of Breaking Bad make one perfectly constructed unit, then seasons 5 and 6 (OR part's 1 and 2 of season 5 if you're a douche) make a damn near perfect epilog all for one cohesive story arc.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
The best you guys could come up with was Dexter and Breaking Bad? No Deadwood, House MD, NCIS, Justified, M*A*S*H? I'm actually inclined to suggest that there is no best drama, but there are several shows on television more worth watching than those two.

Additionally, can anyone explain how The West Wing doesn't hold up? I'd say that, given it's political nature and superb lineup of actors, it'll continue to be relevant LONG after Dexter and BB fade from memory.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
And no mention anywhere of The Wire? No one? While I'd still pick Breaking Bad as the winner, The Wire beats the pants off of Dexter. I like Dexter, but it does way, way too much retreading over ground it's already covered. It's one of those serial dramas that has a successful formula that it becomes so enchanted with that it keeps going over the same road again and again.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Dexter had precisely three good seasons. Season 1, 4 and 7. Everything else was mediocre to god awful. When less than half of your series stands out as being exceptional you aren't a contender for the best TV Drama ever. Especially when Breaking Bad's worst season is better than Dexter at its best.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
Between the two I would pick Dexter if only because (get ready to hate me) I do not like Breaking Bad.

That being said I have to ask why exactly does The West Wing not hold up? Maybe it is because I am English and know very little about American politics but I still enjoy rewatching it every now and then and I think it has aged fine.
im with you there, I just couldn't bother to give a dam about Walt but I was rooting for Dexter every step of the way.(some of the later seasons were not that great still more watchable then Breaking Bad) honestly don't see why people liked that show so much.

May 29, 2011
bdcjacko said:
Game of Thrones. Better than those boring show a you said.
It pretty much directly takes the plot from the book series, it don't count. I mean it's a great adaptation but it's an adaptation.

blackrave said:
"But it's a comedy"
Oh, non-existent average escapee, you are saying this only because you're wrong
See, drama and tragedy can't have impact if it's only thing we have
If there is some fun and laughter AND then bad things happen, then it is a whole different thing
Then emotions are much...
Well technically it's a comedy drama.

I think scrubs focuses too heavily on comedy (it does still have drama) to be on a "best drama" list. And I think they were looking for a pure drama. The serious moments on that show are rare, which emphasizes them and gives them meaning but they're still rare.

OT: Breaking bad because the series actually consistently led up to an amazing ending and maintained quality throughout, as opposed to Dexter, which had a fairly haphazard run. I mean 5,5 out of 8 seasons were actually good and the ending sucked.

I mean those 5,5 seasons were amazing but you can't hold the series as a whole to the same quality as breaking bad.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Where the hell is Game of Thrones. Honestly that is probably one of the best shows in a long time. No character is safe, the story is unpredictable, and the political intrigue is just amazing. I love breaking bad, but lets be honest there were some episodes that were snooze-fests and never really pushed the show along, and dexter? really. I feel like that show kinda petered-out and became mediocre at the end.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Yeah, Dexter had the WORST ending to a series, worse than LOST, worse than the Sopranos. Just awful, I was so pissed off with what they did. SPOILER. You killed off DEB! WHY?! To make Dexter realize everyone around him dies? So he just leaves his son with another serial killer in Argentina. SMART MOVE. Now lets go to canada and cut some logs. Unbelievably poor writing. Almost as bad as the WWE creative team, but then again, NO ONE is as bad as the WWE these days.

Other shows you could have used: 24, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, etc, etc.

Sejborg

Jun 7, 2010
I can understand going with Breaking Bad - but Dexter? That is just bad taste. Has he never seen Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Band of Brothers, Twin Peaks, The Wire, Firefly, The X-Files and so on?